Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 08:17 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,561,218 times

Advertisements

Race Realism and scientific racism still is given legitimacy in some academic circles. So because race realism has gained so much of a following, this would lead me to believe that many Americans do have racist sentiments. Race realism would be the ultimate definition of racism, in that is tries to validate that some races are inferior to others. Some race realist try to clean it up and say "Well we just say blacks are less intelligent, not inferior". But in all honestly if you're saying someone is less mentally or intellectually capable than you, then you are in essence calling them inferior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 08:17 AM

50,278 posts, read 23,893,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I travel quite a bit and when I am visiting a downtown area, I like to get out and walk around even out into the surounding black neighborhoods (I am white). I have been accosted, antagonized, harangued, you name it. I don't let it bother me. I just keep on walking.
I'm not disbelieving you, but even when I lived in the D.C. area and often went into various parts of the city, I NEVER had that happen.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:18 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,755,455 times
It seems many of you are not aware of what racism is from reading the first few pages of the thread.

Racism is the belief that another group of people, usually based on skin color are inferior to another group.

That said, someone not playing with another child because they are of a different race is not "racism." Someone teasing someone else because they are a different race is not "racism." Those are prejudicial actions. Racism is an inherent belief that someone is inferior to another.

Now, I have been witness to racism many times in my life. I see racism on these forums everyday when someone mentions how black people are too stupid to vote "right." That is evidence of that posters inherent view that black people are inferior to other voters based solely on race.

In my day to day life I have seen many instances of racism. I have been told that I am "different" from other black people because I know how to speak well and I don't have an attitude problem. The people telling me these things had an inferior view of black people in regards to thinking we primarily do not know how to speak and that we have negative personalities in comparisons to other races.

I have heard many people both at work and in conversation and online state that Latinos are "better" or "harder" workers than black people. Those statements show an inherent racism and view of blacks as inferior workers compared to Latinos.

All of the above are examples of racism. Prejudicial actions can be predicated on racism, but most people IMO are prejudiced. I am prejudiced of various types of people and I freely admit this. However, I do not think anyone else is inferior to me based solely on their skin color or ethnicity. As a black person, I have seen many people and heard many people say that they view me and my demographic as inferior to them. That is racism. I personally believe it is rampant in our society and that many times those who want to claim "reverse racism" (which IMO is not a "thing" as racism is racism) are racist themselves and they are attempting to justify their racism by asserting their superiority (like with the Affirmative Action conversations that always pop up in these threads).

Old 08-23-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not disbelieving you, but even when I lived in the D.C. area and often went into various parts of the city, I NEVER had that happen.
I'm pretty sure he went to these neighborhoods expecting to run into a problem. Generally if you're looking for trouble you're going to find it.

I've been in some crappy crappy and dangerous neighborhoods before. I don't know of anyone black or white who randomly attacks people. But you come to these forums with people who probably never come in contact with black people, and their perspective is black people run around like untrained animals attacking white people every day.

The bottomline no one is usually going to bother you unless you're trying to cause trouble. Most people in bad neighborhoods keep to themselves. The ones who commit crime aren't thinking about random white people.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:21 AM

72,831 posts, read 62,191,020 times
I am Black. I have seen racism, and I've experienced it. I've been called the "n" word several times. There have been incidents where some persons drove by and screamed that word at me. One time two people road by in a truck and screamed that word at me, in a shopping center for all to hear.

There were kids at school who said things like "I'm gonna hang you by the end of my rope". One kid told me to "pick his cotton".

And it didn't just come from Whites. I worked at a restaurant with a mostly Hispanic staff. I got subjected to racial slurs from some of persons there. Management did little to nothing about it.

I've experienced racism for myself.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:22 AM

I don't consider being called the "n word" an example of racism. Racism is actually hard to prove unless it's stated. Racist don't hate people of other races. Racist think they are better than people of other races.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:24 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,171,262 times
Have you ever SEEN racism in real life?

Yes, and this thread is full of it.

63,919 posts, read 46,498,517 times
Absolutely.

In my prior career, I have had clients who declined to be trained by a black person.

In my prior career, it was challenging to get a taxi when traveling with a black person.

In my prior career, Asian employees/ consultants declined to report to a Fillipeno Project Manager because of perceptions of ethnic inferiority.

Most business people have guaranteed hotel reservations which means that if the hotel is sold out, they must find a room at another hotel and transport the guest to it. It is invariably an inferior hotel in a remote location, near the airport, removed from the central business district. In my prior career, traveling with a black person, hotels claimed they were overbooked when a black guest arrived and yet could accommodate me, in line right behind the black person. We were traveling together and our reservations were booked at the same time.

In my prior career, I was aware of hiring managers who routinely dismissed resumes based on the name of the job applicant or school attended.

This was in the 80- early 2000's.

In my current career, I have encountered the occasional seller who makes it clear they would not sell to a minority.

In my current career, I have encountered a few agents who have attempted to steer Hispanic buyers to a nearby community with a substantial Hispanic population, instead of their desired community. When a broker/ agent attempts to decide for buyers instead of allowing buyers to choose, it's a federal crime.

In my current career, I have encountered buyers who refuse to consider a property owned by a minority family based on family pictures or decor without attempting to sugar coat the reason.

In my current career, had one buyer ask if I could determine the ethnicity of the people in the neighborhood because it mattered to them.

The anonymity of some social media and online forums tends to encourage racist ideology.

72,831 posts, read 62,191,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I don't consider being called the "n word" an example of racism. Racism is actually hard to prove unless it's stated. Racist don't hate people of other races. Racist think they are better than people of other races.
Then what do you call threatening someone with violence on racial terms? What do you call constantly subjecting someone else to racial slurs? Why else would someone do that if they didn't look down on said race?

Old 08-23-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Absolutely.

In my prior career, I have had clients who declined to be trained by a black person.

In my prior career, it was challenging to get a taxi when traveling with a black person.

In my prior career, Asian employees/ consultants declined to report to a Fillipeno Project Manager because of perceptions of ethnic inferiority.

Most business people have guaranteed hotel reservations which means that if the hotel is sold out, they must find a room at another hotel and transport the guest to it. It is invariably an inferior hotel in a remote location, near the airport, removed from the central business district. In my prior career, traveling with a black person, hotels claimed they were overbooked when a black guest arrived and yet could accommodate me, in line right behind the black person. We were traveling together and our reservations were booked at the same time.

In my prior career, I was aware of hiring managers who routinely dismissed resumes based on the name of the job applicant or school attended.

This was in the 80- early 2000's.

In my current career, I have encountered the occasional seller who makes it clear they would not sell to a minority.

In my current career, I have encountered a few agents who have attempted to steer Hispanic buyers to a nearby community with a substantial Hispanic population, instead of their desired community. When a broker/ agent attempts to decide for buyers instead of allowing buyers to choose, it's a federal crime.

In my current career, I have encountered buyers who refuse to consider a property owned by a minority family based on family pictures of decor without attempting to sugar coat the reason.

In my current career, had one buyer ask if I could determine the ethnicity of the people in the neighborhood.

The anonymity of some social media and online forums tends to encourage racist ideology.

Almost none of these are true examples of racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies