Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 05:08 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Easy enough to find the Mosque. Are those all apartments in the vicinity?
You can take my word for it or not, no skin off my nose. Done with this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 05:09 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
It's far fetched that people have lived near mosques? In Europe no less?
You know what "far fetched" means, don't you?
Maybe I was giving you too much credit. Carry on!

Old 08-25-2016, 05:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Whats with the deflection? Islam is the topic. Not Russian, Chinese or American war.

Apparently Radical Islam is not a growing problem in the world? Are there not Reformist trying to make it better?

I'll talk about problems in Christianity until the cows come home but thats not the topic and there's plenty of that in the religious forum already?
Is it? Maybe it is. I'll ask this question and maybe let it go if it doesn't seem relevant. How do you condemn others for things you are as bad at if not worse?

Should we not clean up our act before demanding others to do the same?

Old 08-25-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Guns (along with Christianity) are part of our entire 400 year culture. Muslim colonization is mostly 50 years, primarily current past 2 decades, liberal construct forced upon us by progressives. Muslim desires of conquest is a 1300 year enemy of the west, unleashed by progressives the past few decades.. You are wanting me to compare apples and oranges.
When the first Muslims came to the land that would become the United States is unclear. Many historians claim that the earliest Muslims came from the Senegambian region of Africa in the early 14th century. It is believed they were Moors, expelled from Spain, who made their way to the Caribbean and possibly to the Gulf of Mexico.

When Columbus made his journey to the United States, it is said he took with him a book written by Portuguese Muslims who had navigated their way to the New World in the 12th century.

Others claim there were Muslims, most notably a man named Istafan, who accompanied the Spanish as a guide to the New World in the early 16th century in their conquest of what would become Arizona and New Mexico.

What is clear is the make up of the first real wave of Muslims in the United States: African slaves of whom 10 to 15 percent were said to be Muslims. Maintaining their religion was difficult and many were forcibly converted to Christianity. Any effort to practice Islam, and keep the traditional clothing and names alive had to be done in secret. There was an enclave of African-Americans on the Georgia coast that managed to maintain their faith until the early part of the 20th century.

Between 1878 and 1924, Muslim immigrants from the Middle East, particularly from Syria and Lebanon, arrived in large numbers, with many settling in Ohio, Michigan, Iowa and even the Dakotas. Like most other migrants they were seeking greater economic opportunity than in their homeland and often worked as manual laborers. One of the first big employers of Muslims and blacks was the Ford Company—these were often the only people willing to work in the hot, difficult conditions of the factories.

Islam In America | History Detectives | PBS

Old 08-25-2016, 05:42 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
When the first Muslims came to the land that would become the United States is unclear. Many historians claim that the earliest Muslims came from the Senegambian region of Africa in the early 14th century. It is believed they were Moors, expelled from Spain, who made their way to the Caribbean and possibly to the Gulf of Mexico.

When Columbus made his journey to the United States, it is said he took with him a book written by Portuguese Muslims who had navigated their way to the New World in the 12th century.

Others claim there were Muslims, most notably a man named Istafan, who accompanied the Spanish as a guide to the New World in the early 16th century in their conquest of what would become Arizona and New Mexico.

What is clear is the make up of the first real wave of Muslims in the United States: African slaves of whom 10 to 15 percent were said to be Muslims. Maintaining their religion was difficult and many were forcibly converted to Christianity. Any effort to practice Islam, and keep the traditional clothing and names alive had to be done in secret. There was an enclave of African-Americans on the Georgia coast that managed to maintain their faith until the early part of the 20th century.

Between 1878 and 1924, Muslim immigrants from the Middle East, particularly from Syria and Lebanon, arrived in large numbers, with many settling in Ohio, Michigan, Iowa and even the Dakotas. Like most other migrants they were seeking greater economic opportunity than in their homeland and often worked as manual laborers. One of the first big employers of Muslims and blacks was the Ford Company—these were often the only people willing to work in the hot, difficult conditions of the factories.

Islam In America | History Detectives | PBS
That doesn't add up to a hill of beans. There were essentially no muslims or islam in what's now the US until very recently. They just had no presence or influence or any consequence. I never ever saw a muslim covering their head in Ohio until a few years ago. Now they are every where you look.

There were more Mormons in the Midwest and they caused a scene were ran out all the way to Utah in the late 1800's right under the nose of the constitution. The constitution didn't protect religious cults that were deemed a problem until after progressives proclaimed by fiat it did after the 1960's.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That doesn't add up to a hill of beans.
Facts haven't meant much to you. So be it. I already noted how the courts are going to rule with examples. The Mosque will be built. The only question will be whether it is with their money or the taxpayers money.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:18 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Facts haven't meant much to you. So be it. I already noted how the courts are going to rule with examples. The Mosque will be built. The only question will be whether it is with their money or the taxpayers money.
Facts don't mean much to you. There was practically non-existent and inconsequential muslim iimmigration and influence until after the 1960s and mostly just the past 2 decades. The few, many likely Christians and secularist fleeing the periphery of the middle east, that slipped in between 1880-1920 is inconsequential and they were barred from further immigration in 1924. I never questioned that the mosque will be built, only that it shouldn't and shouldn't be a question because there should be this kind of immigration.. My argument is progressivism is relentless and has thrown out all good sense.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:29 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
You are right. Hopefully Clinton, if elected, will not stop the FBI from investigating mosques for suspected terrorist activities as she has in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Well, technically they're right. If they own the land for it, they should be able to build whichever house of worship they desire.

If a church would be permitted to be built there, but a mosque is forbidden, that is pretty much a perfect example of religious discrimination, which goes against the 1st Amendment.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:40 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
You are right. Hopefully Clinton, if elected, will not stop the FBI from investigating mosques for suspected terrorist activities as she has in the past.
That's quite a claim to make. I'm sure you can cite a credible source giving examples of this. I'd love to see it.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
That's quite a claim to make. I'm sure you can cite a credible source giving examples of this. I'd love to see it.
Hillary Clinton deliberately blocked investigation into Orlando shooter’s mosque to avoid “discrimination”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies