Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 02:47 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,716,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
No, there is good reason to highly suspect Hillary Clinton and none to buy into your analogy.
From your perspective there is good reason to highly suspect Hillary Clinton. Because you're biased. And you look for narratives that support your bias.

And that's my analogy, and it's perfectly valid.

How many investigations, how many hours, how many dollars, and nothing. When does that resonate with Hillary haters?

Old 08-24-2016, 03:03 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,421,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I think it's completely fair to ridicule the GOP for picking Trump.

However, it's reprehensible that Dems stand behind Hillary. They are essentially saying, "we will vote for ANYONE with that D."
Unlike Trump who came as a surprise to everyone on this planet, Hillary's candidacy was almost certain for the last 4 years. If she wasn't elected, it would have been a big surprise. Until the last year, I don't remember republicans focusing on her much. Yes, since they always deal either with the past or irrelevant issues, they criticized Hillary as part of the Obama administration. I told them then that it's a waste of energy, but they never look forward. They could influence her nomination much more if they chose to. Let democrats elect Bernie and now the democrats would pray for miracles.

Trump: I have nothing against him. Really. It's those who elected him that concern me. Is this the best you could come with after 8 years of democrats in the White House?

Old 08-24-2016, 03:10 PM

56,839 posts, read 25,771,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I think it's completely fair to ridicule the GOP for picking Trump.

However, it's reprehensible that Dems stand behind Hillary. They are essentially saying, "we will vote for ANYONE with that D."
I would have liked to vote for anyone not named Clinton or Bush in this election, plenty of moderate democrats would have voted for Kasich over Clinton. Trump makes it impossible to vote for him, he just can't take yes for an answer. Many are voting against Trump, not necessarily a vote for Clinton.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,879,988 times
Hah. It won't happen. It should, but it won't.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:29 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,689,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Normally that is correct - the FBI "investigates" and can/does recommend charges or no charges - it is the DOJ that has to do the "charges" or "no charges".

In this particular case (and in RICO cases) - the investigation is into Corruption and that's a RICO Investigation that the DOJ does not control. It's up to the US Attorney in the District of the Investigation ... in this case - Preet Bharara, the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York.

That's not to say there is going to be either charges OR an arrest - just that it's a bit different than the Email Scandal that the DOJ controlled.
Ummm, close. The US Attorney for SD-NY is a politically appointed employee of the DOJ. Also, RICO cases require HQs DOJ approval to ensure the statute is applied equally across all 93 judicial districts. (For that matter, because Hillary is an attorney, special rules apply to seeking an indictment against her.)

But for two other reasons I don't think there is going to be an arrest. First, there is a written DOJ policy not to arrest a national candidate within 90 days of an election. Second, there is a DOJ policy that forbids arresting suspects on a complaint if a grand jury can be presented with a bill of indictment. This is a white collar case; they can take it to a grand jury.

If the case is being conducted in the SD-NY, that means the grand jurors are going to come from that district. I haven't had a case in that district for about ten years, but isn't SD-NY a heavily democratic district...?

Old 08-24-2016, 04:09 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,461,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
From your perspective there is good reason to highly suspect Hillary Clinton.

Because you're biased. And you look for narratives that support your bias. And that's my analogy, and it's perfectly valid.

How many investigations, how many hours, how many dollars, and nothing. When does that resonate with Hillary haters?
I'm sure you don't see the hilarity of accusing anyone who suspects Clinton of being corrupt and incompetent of bias, while you call us 'Hillary haters.' Your defense of her is that she's not a criminal, a Richard Nixon strategy, 'She is not a crook.'

The investigations found plenty, from her mismanagement of the State Department to [at a minimum] her 'extreme carelessness' in handling sensitive national security documents. She won't take foreign contributions as prez, but no problem as SoS. Just fess-up: you love her, and nothing will change that.

'She's Slicker Than Willie. Hillary 2016 '

Old 08-24-2016, 04:21 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,716,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I'm sure you don't see the hilarity of accusing anyone who suspects Clinton of being corrupt and incompetent of bias, while you call us 'Hillary haters.' Your defense of her is that she's not a criminal, a Richard Nixon strategy, 'She is not a crook.'

The investigations found plenty, from her mismanagement of the State Department to [at a minimum] her 'extreme carelessness' in handling sensitive national security documents. She won't take foreign contributions as prez, but no problem as SoS. Just fess-up: you love her, and nothing will change that.

'She's Slicker Than Willie. Hillary 2016 '
My defense of her is that countless investigations, thousands of hours spent digging, millions of dollars spent, and no criminal charges.

The people who parrot all this anti-Hillary propaganda are Hillary haters.

I don't love Hillary. I love the truth, though. And this propaganda is not truth. It's slinging mud to see what will stick. It's character assassination. And that's wrong.

I believe Hillary has been the most-investigated individual in American history. And she isn't Al Capone.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:39 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,209,576 times
Is this like Judge Napolitano who swore for months that he had the inside scoop she would get indicted?

Old 08-24-2016, 05:11 PM

56,839 posts, read 25,771,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Ummm, close. The US Attorney for SD-NY is a politically appointed employee of the DOJ. Also, RICO cases require HQs DOJ approval to ensure the statute is applied equally across all 93 judicial districts. (For that matter, because Hillary is an attorney, special rules apply to seeking an indictment against her.)

But for two other reasons I don't think there is going to be an arrest. First, there is a written DOJ policy not to arrest a national candidate within 90 days of an election. Second, there is a DOJ policy that forbids arresting suspects on a complaint if a grand jury can be presented with a bill of indictment. This is a white collar case; they can take it to a grand jury.

If the case is being conducted in the SD-NY, that means the grand jurors are going to come from that district. I haven't had a case in that district for about ten years, but isn't SD-NY a heavily democratic district...?
NYC is heavily democratic but Grand Juries come from a pretty wide area including all LI and some of the upstate counties. The DOJ can be political but from what I have seen the Southern Distric has been pretty fair, they just convicted the house and senate leaders, one democratic, one republican.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:15 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,461,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
My defense of her is that countless investigations, thousands of hours spent digging, millions of dollars spent, and no criminal charges.

The people who parrot all this anti-Hillary propaganda are Hillary haters.

I don't love Hillary. I love the truth, though. And this propaganda is not truth. It's slinging mud to see what will stick. It's character assassination. And that's wrong.

I believe Hillary has been the most-investigated individual in American history. And she isn't Al Capone.
"Clinton's untrustworthiness numbers are still high: 59 percent said Clinton is not honest and trustworthy and about two-thirds said she is too willing to bend the rules."

Clinton's Trustworthiness Remains a Drag on Her Candidacy

I'll tell ya, there are a lot of Hillary-haters. It couldn't possibly be that you're the one who won't face the facts and are propagandizing on her behalf, could it ? I admit, if your standards are criminal charges and Al Capone, she's a paragon of virtue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.