Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 06:57 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It had electronic surveillance, aerial surveillance, double and triple walls in hot-spots, increase in number of border patrol etc....
Did it have path to citizenship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 06:57 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I believe that bill also called for a path to citizenship for illegals among other unpopular ideas.
Unpopular to some, and popular to others. They could have discussed it and see if they can reach a compromise, but they refused to even talk about it. Full deportation will never happen, and that is just the reality of it, and it doesn't even make sense, but as long as the parties have the "all or nothing / my way or the highway" mentality, nothing will get done. It you think Trump will fix something with such attitude in Congress, you are dreaming. Same goes for Hillary.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:44 AM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I believe that bill also called for a path to citizenship for illegals among other unpopular ideas.
Personally I don't believe we need a wall. We need laws with teeth. Hammer the employers of illegals. Make them afraid to hire illegals.
Go after the assets of the illegals.
Go after the land lords who knowingly rent to illegals.
Make E-Verify the law of the land. Do these things and force illegals to self deport.
Make the penalty so harsh that very few would even consider breaking it. Include hammering those greedy homeowners who troll parking lots looking for cheap labor.
No E-verify done and you have illegals working for you? $50,000 dollar fine per illegal.

Actually, we do need the wall. It isn't those just coming to work here invading our border but criminals and terrorists also. Otherwise I agree with you on everything else.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:12 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,301 times
Quote:
And someone in Congress will vote for such bill? Who?
Take the money out of the foreign aid we send Mexico every year. Trumps promise is kept.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:18 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
They are being devestated by crime and problems, but at least in one border town they are not waiting for the 2016 race to make the choice to take their own actions.

New Mexico town has 18ft high STEEL WALL erected to keep illegal immigrants out | Daily Mail Online

That's just about 5 miles from me, maybe even less. That wall's been there for years now. 20 years back, Sunland Park WAS being devastated by crime, as was El Paso, Laredo, and all other border towns. That's all changed radically since the Border Patrol instituted Operation Hold the Line back in the 90s. Cross border crime has dropped off precipitously since then. The fence is a minor factor.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:20 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Just so you'll know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
It's pathetic that a town has to flip the bill for protecting the country. Shame on Obama and Congress for not addressing this.

That wall was a federal project, not municipal. It was put up years ago, before Obama ever entered office. I can walk out onto my front porch and see it.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:20 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
You tax all bank or money transfers to Mexico At 10% for as long as it takes and you get the wall paid.
With oil being down the number one source to Mexico income wise is all the illegals or residents wiring money back to Mexico. Easy to tap into actually.
Easier than that: withhold all foreign aid to Mexico until the wall is paid for.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Take the money out of the foreign aid we send Mexico every year. Trumps promise is kept.
Who in Congress will authorize that? Eliminating foreign aid completely to all countries, including Israel, would still fall about $10 billion short of paying for the wall, but I doubt even one member in Congress would support it.

The aid to Mexico, which is about $400 million, would barely get us started. They estimate the wall will cost 25 billion.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Easier than that: withhold all foreign aid to Mexico until the wall is paid for.
Ok, that will take 62 years.

Any other ideas?

Old 08-24-2016, 10:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
It had electronic surveillance, aerial surveillance, double and triple walls in hot-spots, increase in number of border patrol etc....
Ok, let me word my question differently.

Did the bill contain any spending outside the detection and prevention of illegal border crossings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies