Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you comfortable with constant government survalence
No, this is our government taking things a step too far 12 63.16%
Yes, I have nothing to hide and don't value my right to some form of privacy 7 36.84%
I don't know 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 07:44 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times

Advertisements

I don't know about anyone else, but I find this HIGHLY disturbing and unacceptable.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2...-surveillance/

Quote:
The Cessna sometimes flew above the city for as many as 10 hours a day, and the public had no idea it was there.

A company called Persistent Surveillance Systems, based in Dayton, Ohio, provided the service to the police, and the funding came from a private donor. No public disclosure of the program had ever been made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 08:06 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
America is now a giant plantation.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:33 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I don't like being monitored and I'm not doing anything wrong. I would suspect that criminals hate it.

The question is will such footage that is being collected by this plane and other means be subverted or altered to support an agenda?

On the battle field spotter planes or drones fly over to view the hot spots and gather info on the enemy so the best use of force can be distributed properly.
If the plane flies over a predominantly white neighborhood and it is mostly quiet should the Police be sent there? If the plane flies over a black neighborhood and they see all sorts of crimes taking place should the Police be sent there to stop the law breakers and protect the innocent bystanders OR is that racial profiling ?

The Police go to the problem areas just like soldiers go to the battle.

If the surveillance is used to stop protests from becoming riots than yes I say they are a good thing. I'm sure the business owners on the streets would say the same thing.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:40 AM

24,409 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I'd like 24 hour surveillance of the Senate and White House with complete transcripts of all meetings and conversations they have.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:48 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'd like 24 hour surveillance of the Senate and White House with complete transcripts of all meetings and conversations they have.
The millionaires club? Don't hold your breath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I find this HIGHLY disturbing and unacceptable.
It's not like there aren't any satellites that have been or could do the same for years now.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
It's not like there aren't any satellites that have been or could do the same for years now.
That's really not quite the same. Satellites are not going to be picking up a face with detail.

Video surveillance, like many things, is good in moderation. I think police body cams are a good idea, security cameras in places like bus stations, train stations, businesses, schools, etc are good. Drones can even be used to an extent, but a plane flying at 500'+, I'm not so sure how useful that is and anything that can video into people's homes or backyards is likely going too far. My backyard is supposed to be a place of privacy, I don't want to be recorded there.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:03 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
No, this is totally different. Its technology that was used in wartime activity now being deployed to monitor citizens real time.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:08 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
surveillance of private property by property owners is okay and a serves a useful purpose, but governments use the same technology to imprison and steal wealth, not okay.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:28 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
I recently got a flier in the mail from the local Police Department stating that there were recent burglaries and anyone with a security camera should go to a site to register their equipment-something tells me not many people will be doing that.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:29 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times
Please profile me for being a brown immigrant if it helps in keeping others safe. Hurt feelings are better than permanently injured loved ones. We live in troubled times & that means everyone has to co-operate to make our country safe again. Most of us didnt create this mess but all of us are responsible for cleaning it up again & again. No one likes to be profiled, body searched or disclose personal info but thats the system we are using for now for detecting impending threats. I would rather see someone complain on tv about how they got discriminated at the airport than crying family members of dead relatives. Hurt feelings & insults can be forgotten over time but unexpectedly losing someone close scars you for life. I wish we had a better surveillance system that doesnt invade privacy but unfortunately we dont so deal with it for now.

Sure there are huge risks & concerns about stealing identity, misusing financial info, health issues but if you can think of a better solution, get involved in your govt public forums & make suggestions. You have the right to complain, but you should also brainstorm better solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies