Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 01:30 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I worked in the restaurant industry to put myself through school and saw it quite a bit. At many different places too. I NEVER send food back. It's not worth the risk of being exposed to the temper of an angry cook.
Did you ever report it to management or the police?

What city was this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 01:32 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Did you ever report it to management or the police?

What city was this?
Confronted the person a couple of times. Even threw out the food. Call the police? No.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Confronted the person a couple of times. Even threw out the food. Call the police? No.
I would have told management, and I bet they would be immediately fired.

I also know that in many places it's a criminal act.

Keep in mind, this is about sending food back and such. If you are abusive to a person who handles your food, you're on your own.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:45 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Welcome to 'Murica.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:46 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
The penalty.

Clean the grease trap with a tooth brush.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I would have told management, and I bet they would be immediately fired.

I also know that in many places it's a criminal act.

Keep in mind, this is about sending food back and such. If you are abusive to a person who handles your food, you're on your own.
Don't bet on your first line. I have seen it many times and never saw the employee fired over that. Your second line involves your first line most of the time. Some customer treats the waitress like a dog, or the customer sends the food back over and over. The cook responds accordingly. I have never seen a cook do something out of the blue. It is usually because of what the customer did, so he retaliates. Not excusing that behavior but that is the way it is sometimes. I worked on and off in the restaurant industry for over 15 years and never saw someone call the cops over something like that.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Don't bet on your first line. I have seen it many times and never saw the employee fired over that. Your second line involves your first line most of the time. Some customer treats the waitress like a dog, or the customer sends the food back over and over. The cook responds accordingly. I have never seen a cook do something out of the blue. It is usually because of what the customer did, so he retaliates. Not excusing that behavior but that is the way it is sometimes. I worked on and off in the restaurant industry for over 15 years and never saw someone call the cops over something like that.
Only crappy managers will risk the business to protect such an employee.

I'm not saying there aren't crappy managers. I had a buddy who had to find another job after the place he worked at closed following their liquor license being pulled due to a few servers being busted for serving under age patrons.

You have some other moron in the kitchen post a cook spitting in food on YouTube, it will most likely end up on the local news and the dining room will become a lifeless no-mans land.

You might enjoy this:

What Happens When You Spit Into Someone’s Food? | the bitchy waiter

Old 08-26-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Only crappy managers will risk the business to protect such an employee.

I'm not saying there aren't crappy managers. I had a buddy who had to find another job after the place he worked at closed following their liquor license being pulled due to a few servers being busted for serving under age patrons.

You have some other moron in the kitchen post a cook spitting in food on YouTube, it will most likely end up on the local news and the dining room will become a lifeless no-mans land.

You might enjoy this:

What Happens When You Spit Into Someone’s Food? | the bitchy waiter
I don't disagree with anything you say and I don't condone anyone messing with someone's food.

The point I am making is that some people are clueless about what goes on in a restaurant. In a perfect world the cooks and waitresses would smile like robots and take whatever the customer said with a grain of salt. That doesn't happen.

Also, restaurant work is really busy work. Nobody has time do go and complain to a manager about everything going on. The manager is usually busy helping cook, busing tables, seating people, comping food, counting money, etc. I worked at a place and did all of that. It is not a place where you go to human resources and complain. It just doesn't happen that way in most restaurants. Plus you are always short staffed.

On a side note, my father was the WORST customer. He literally came into a restaurant looking to complain. I told him what goes in and he STILL was the worst customer ever. I shudder to think of what happened to his food.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree with anything you say and I don't condone anyone messing with someone's food.

The point I am making is that some people are clueless about what goes on in a restaurant. In a perfect world the cooks and waitresses would smile like robots and take whatever the customer said with a grain of salt. That doesn't happen.

Also, restaurant work is really busy work. Nobody has time do go and complain to a manager about everything going on. The manager is usually busy helping cook, busing tables, seating people, comping food, counting money, etc. I worked at a place and did all of that. It is not a place where you go to human resources and complain. It just doesn't happen that way in most restaurants. Plus you are always short staffed.

On a side note, my father was the WORST customer. He literally came into a restaurant looking to complain. I told him what goes in and he STILL was the worst customer ever. I shudder to think of what happened to his food.
Got it.

My wife is a relatively bad restaurant patron, which is odd considering she was a waitress a number of times. She will have a waiter stand there way too long as she tries to figure out what she wants and then argues with me when I say we need a few more minutes. She sends back food for not being over cooked- yes, that salmon is cooked enough for 99% of all diners. Most people prefer their food not over done.

If you get the chance read that link I posted. I think you'd get a kick out of it.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Got it.

My wife is a relatively bad restaurant patron, which is odd considering she was a waitress a number of times. She will have a waiter stand there way too long as she tries to figure out what she wants and then argues with me when I say we need a few more minutes. She sends back food for not being over cooked- yes, that salmon is cooked enough for 99% of all diners. Most people prefer their food not over done.

If you get the chance read that link I posted. I think you'd get a kick out of it.
Having worked in a restaurant for years and dated many waitresses it is a fact that ex-waitresses are the worst customers. It doesn't make sense but they just seem to be that way.

Will read your link later. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies