Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 06:15 PM

1,478 posts, read 787,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
A little Friday positivity...

35-Year-Old Owns 2 IHOPs And Manages $225 Million Real Estate After Fleeing Liberian Civil War

A Liberian refugee, who now lives in New Jersey, recently shared her inspiring story of becoming a successful entrepreneur owning two restaurants after fleeing the bloody civil war in her country according to Atlanta Black Star:

She was not indoctrinated with the mentality that many black people are brought up with in the US - as she moved to this country at age 13. It doesn't sound as though she used any programs or sought out minority targeted help. Her bio says she put herself through school.

This is what America should offer to anyone who LEGALLY immigrates here. Unlike many other countries, you are given the opportunity to succeed at what ever you desire. You can be as successful as your desire.

Just wanted to share that good things still do happen in America despite the endless accounts of bad news.
And Charlie Sheen and the musical artist Prince shows you can be a drug addict and be more proffessionally successful and financially wealthy than Spartan, Purtian people who refrain from doing drugs for a high.

Dan Bilzerian made famous from his instagrams capturing his adventures and womanizing, who has had 2 or 3 heartattacks already and survived them, still in his 30's having partied doing cocaine, became a millionaire by betting on people playing poker.

Then there are those that have sex with HIV positive people but have not contracted the disease.

While I like the stories of statistical outliers and the book "Talent is Overrated" has influenced me, illustrating that the "greats" in a given field (from ice skating to musical composition to business), have developed a certain kind of committed practice that pushes their comfortability limits, have been given or found great coaches or teachers or mentors, I'm still not a fan of placing statistical outliers up as a representative of the average person.

Entrepreneurs are all over the world also. You seem to think they don't exist in India the UK or Mexico or something. They are all over. You can find them in China and Nigeria.

Here is Dan Bilzerian. I get the impression from his home life with a rich father that hates the IRS that he is fiscal conservative, possibly Republican, but socially liberal in his morality.

Dan Bilzerain on his heart attacks and drug use: http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NjR0fqSzcpc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 06:17 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
If you were born in Africa, yes you are an African American. If you were born here, you are an American with African heritage making you an American African.

If you are a born American of African descent, and you place your African descent above where you were born... you should make plans to get back to that place you cherish, otherwise you are nothing but a hypocrite.

Me, I'm an American mutt. I am the antithesis of what you believe. I have black, Hispanic, western and eastern European blood. MY family assimilated and procreated with zero racism. YOU, well... you have a problem. So sad.

I totally agree with you on that. Again, so sad.

Oh paleeeze

Of course you do!
Well, this is news to me. How come no one let me know that white conservative males are the authority on what Black Americans should call themselves...

Old 08-26-2016, 06:31 PM

1,478 posts, read 787,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post

Tho seeing a Black African doing well in the US doesn't surprise me at all since word is it their kind give Asians a run for the money where success is being talked about and, Asians are well known for smoking any other "race" here in the US including us anglo white people.
Black Africans tend to do well here in the United States. Some have a little more difficulty adjusting to certain norms in the United States (like paying your monthly rent on date due rather than figuring you can pay it two weeks later as was norm in your country when dealing with landlords) but overall they do good and exceed white Americans in educational attainment. I'm not sure if they are like the Jews and male homosexuals in statistically being above average in annual income.

But black Africans from Somalia don't tend to do all that well. They are like the Hmong among Asians in America. Both tend to live in poverty and produce few people awarded doctoral degrees.

There are also plenty of Black-Americans that open as restaurants as entrepreneurs. Like most people that open up restaurants they tend "fail" and close down. The restaurant business is tough and even successful restaurants can end up closing after a good several years run. Even top notch chefs can be less than good buisnessmen and failing to come up with good marketing strategies watch few paying customers visit their restaurant and they end up having to close down.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:43 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,942,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Disgusting! You take an inspirational story and you turn it into an opportunity to attack African Americans..
Your twisting has been discredited so many times its amazing you keep on that path.

Whats digusting is trying to turn that story into some support for erroneous claims.

You think its some secret that immigrants who come to the USA these days work hard, achieve and succeed regardless of their skin color while America is bombarded with stories about why African Americans for whatever reason of the day is popular cannot despite having the envy of the world in the benefit of citizenship from birth? Yeah, thats as disgusting as it gets.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:

35-Year-Old Owns 2 IHOPs And Manages $225 Million Real Estate After Fleeing Liberian Civil War

A Liberian refugee, who now lives in New Jersey, recently shared her inspiring story of becoming a successful entrepreneur owning two restaurants after fleeing the bloody civil war in her country according to Atlanta Black Star:

She was not indoctrinated with the mentality that many black people are brought up with in the US - as she moved to this country at age 13. It doesn't sound as though she used any programs or sought out minority targeted help. Her bio says she put herself through school.

This is what America should offer to anyone who LEGALLY immigrates here. Unlike many other countries, you are given the opportunity to succeed at what ever you desire. You can be as successful as your desire.

Just wanted to share that good things still do happen in America despite the endless accounts of bad news.
Thank DR, for posting this.

She's an inspiration to all people.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:

So she's getting fabulously wealthy off of poor people why work low wage jobs and cannot buy homes?

Old 08-26-2016, 07:35 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So she's getting fabulously wealthy off of poor people why work low wage jobs and cannot buy homes?
If they can't buy homes, how is she getting wealthy from them?

Can't bring yourself to acknowledge what she has done?

Old 08-26-2016, 07:38 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times
A positivity thread, on this cesspool of a forum? Ha!

Old 08-26-2016, 07:51 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
A positivity thread, on this cesspool of a forum? Ha!
I was wondering how long it would last.

Her life turned out well, and she gives back according to her website. And there are many black people raised in this country that also do well. It's a slow process for us because of bad life choices, but we are still making progress.

There are plenty of HBCUs that are graduating black people. We need the environment for more jobs... But it's progress.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:59 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
A housing project one time, I made a promise to myself never to follow someone else back there so no, I don't follow you.
Housing projects are very similar to trailer parks. I'm pretty sure you'll receive a warm welcoming...

Just like most people posting in this forum, you're part of the 47% that receives more than they pay out.. Regardless of what your Republican elite masters say the working class is in this together.. Don't try and build divisions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies