Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Eliminate lobbyist by:
Banning lobbyist 16 55.17%
Reverse the 17th amendment 4 13.79%
Both 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 03:00 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How could you even ban lobbyists?

Lobbying is the act of trying to influence a politician. Practically every constituent talking to their representative is trying to influence him/her to do something.
How about free influence. No. Money ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
How about lobbyists who want to reduce the price of the Epipen?

You see, everyone wants to get rid of lobbyists so long as it's not their lobbyists.
That's a criminal act, price gouging on the heads of sick people . We know lobbying because their abusive behavior, we hear of. The trips and women, parties, donations, vacations . Most fed employees can't receive more that $10 via any gift -but the congress - they eat porter house and lobsters on a yacht - and never ever -- like shyte people, should not write law!!

Old 08-28-2016, 03:10 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
How about lobbyists who want to reduce the price of the Epipen?

You see, everyone wants to get rid of lobbyists so long as it's not their lobbyists.
Exactly so.

And I certainly don't like the idea of a constitutional amendment, I think there would be way too many unintended consequences.

I am interested in Congress doing something about Citizen's United. I'm not sure exactly how you'd go about crafting language that corporations/organizations are not persons and therefore don't have exactly the same free speech rights as persons do, but I'm sure interested in seeing smarter people than I am take a stab at it.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Exactly so.

And I certainly don't like the idea of a constitutional amendment, I think there would be way too many unintended consequences.

I am interested in Congress doing something about Citizen's United. I'm not sure exactly how you'd go about crafting language that corporations/organizations are not persons and therefore don't have exactly the same free speech rights as persons do, but I'm sure interested in seeing smarter people than I am take a stab at it.
There is a petition for it look for it. Forget where

Old 08-28-2016, 06:00 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
your BIAS is overwhelming.

Where is the choice," NONE of the Above"?

Did ya vote in the poll?

If not, there is your NONE of the above vote.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:12 PM

23,554 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is this something both democrats and republican voters can agree on?

Eliminate the ability to lobby congress, or reverse the 17th amendment?
No reason to eliminate lobyists!

The problem lies with your poor choice of legislator to represent you.

Please do not be distracted by lobbyists when the problem lies with the legislator.

Lobby all day and all night long, knock yourself out. What is needed is a representative with ethics. Ethics has become unrecognizable these days, unfortunately.

Lobbyists cannot pass legislation!

Guess who can?????????

So sad that a perceived problem is not approached at its source. Stop lobbying and what do you have left?

UNETHICAL LAWYER/LEGISLATORS repRESENTING you!

You give a pass to a legislator who tells you 'we have to pass it to find out what is in it" and don;t see that as a problem??????????? Well that is the source of the problem and deserves to be addressed.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
No......there is a solution. Quit voting for the same old politicians over and over. Quit looking to ban things because you refuse to do for yourself.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:17 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Even though the whole system of govt is corrupt and immoral, you have the problem that prospective legislators seldom do what they said they will do once elected (see: hope and change).
Govt. power is the ultimate aphrodisiac and humans cannot resist its allure.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Even though the whole system of govt is corrupt and immoral, you have the problem that prospective legislators seldom do what they said they will do once elected (see: hope and change).
Govt. power is the ultimate aphrodisiac and humans cannot resist its allure.
Does power corrupt or is it the corrupt that is attracted to power?

Old 08-28-2016, 06:29 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is this something both democrats and republican voters can agree on?

Eliminate the ability to lobby congress, or reverse the 17th amendment?
100% agreement.

Let's return the laws of the land to the will of the people, not oligarchs and the highest bidder.

Hillary, of course, is the antithesis of this sentiment. So.......... despite voters agreeing with the concept of reducing/banning political access and "pay for play" politics to the highest bidder, most will vote for Hillary.

The queen of influence peddling and "pay for play" politics will be voted into office by people who ardently oppose those practices.

Dem voters = low information voters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies