Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 05:43 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2770293

Snip

Black man says USA isn't great because cops are killing too many people of color, is asked to leave the country.
Right, America isn't great because a very small minority of police have shot Blacks, many of who were engaged in criminal behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 05:44 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Isn't Trump's entire shtick that America sucks now, and only he can make it great again? Using his logic, he needs to GTFO of this country, preferably to Siberia.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Lol, a half black person, abandoned by both parents, raised by a middle class white couple, and signs a multi million dollar deal top play a game, is upset at the "oppression" of blacks, people of color, or whatever cause he decided to latch onto.

Sorry, I find his "protest" rather absurd.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:45 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
So Kaepernick didn't have help from his adopted parent? He did it all by himself?

His Father? Being abandoned by his Black Father but given his best chance in life by White folks could have led to anger and frustration now being evidenced by his bahavior.

If there is such a thing as White Priviledge, Kaepernick did not benefit from it as he grew up, having the protection and consideration of being in the adoptive white family? Did he not benefit from their financial means or do you think were he not adopted that he'd have ever made it to the NFL let alone finish High School or College?

Where it not for that so-called white privilege that allowed those people to adopt him and take care of him as their own, do you see a bright future for him?

Kaeprnick has what he has because of others, he didn't do it all alone.

The only thing he did alone was show a lack of respect for his country by presenting a statement that the entire country was to blame for whatever problems he sees.

Kaepernick did the worst, he took a problem and then blamed everyone for it. Instead, he had so many options available to him that are not available to others.

Kapernick could call a press conference and get national attention for a cause he thinks needs attention. Could you do that? Could anyone here? Could most people in a million?

Instead, what that selfish little minded man did was take all the attention for himself.
Everyone benefits from having a family whom is given to raising a child into an adult !!!! No one gets to choose their family when they are a child.
I never said he had an issue with the parents who raised him, I don't know where he said he had any issue with the parents that raised him.

But you nor I can say what he would or would not have been. No one gets to predict another life with such certainty.

As to Football, that is what his job is, and he has made his fortune playing it. That is the point I made.
I don't know his childhood activities, challenges or any of that. I know that he made money playing football.

Most players who are well known and have multiple millions can call a press conference and get attention. Anyone in the entertainment industry once attention is on them, can get attention and press time.

From what I understand, (from media) is that he is talking about "Fairness in the System"
Quote:
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has willingly immersed himself into controversy by refusing to stand for the playing of the national anthem in protest of what he deems are wrongdoings against African Americans and minorities in the United States.
Now, I am pro government and support the US, and the premise and principle of the Constitution. I do know that over the many centuries and decades of this society, racism has contorted the laws as well as used exclusion of rights as a tool against minorities and people of color, That is why we had the Civil Right Act of 1964 and the 1965 Voting Rights Act and the legislation's that followed. It is true that there is still areas in the system that were crafted by the racism, from slavery to and through segregationist policies and the impact those things had and in a variety of factors still has impact and influence upon laws and how laws were enforced as well as how this society functions, including how its economic was devastated as well as many many other things.

We are what only 52 yrs since the Civil Rights Acts passed, 52 yrs cannot wipe out 100's of years of contortions within this system nor wipe away the manners and modes of conduct that was infused by and through those contortions.

Could he have found another means to address his concerns. Yes, there are many options. Maybe his choice and method may not have been yours or mine. But what we do know, is there is no perfect method to push the voice for Equality and Fairness, it is done by the means and methods people who can push voice have engaged to push voice.

We do know that in a society where so much is measured by wealth as to which voice get to speak and be heard, as well as a system where controversy brings attentions, the next matter is how does he go forth to clarify and expound on his point and where does he take it to bring it to the tables of the minds in the homes of America.

Being a Sports Figure, is certainly a way to get into the homes and the tables of the minds of people. Already he's done that, hopefully he has a connective set of association that can help him clarify and bring some model and method of how to bring positive growth for overall social benefit from his stand.

Back through History of American, there has never been a person who stood up for the Civil Rights of Blacks and Other Minorities or any other rights of black people and other minorities, who has not been vilified. Every advocate including white advocates who push for equality and fairness, has been vilified in the media and the minds of many whites in society over many centuries and decades. A long history has existed among whites who stand up for equality and fairness whom result to have been attacked, killed, harassed and every imaginable assault enacted against and upon them. Even Einstein, who was a proponent of Equality of the Human Being and Civil Rights, has that part of his life omitted from discussion when people speak or teach of his genius.

IF those voices had not stood up, we'd have heard the same thing over and over from white society. Of how nice and peaceful everything was, as long as it benefited white people and white people did not have to face up to the fact of how historical discrimination impacted the lives of black people. "The Stay in your place" mentality would still be predominantly uttered and inferred by white people unto and against black people as well as other minority groups.

Why wouldn't white people have been comfortable with that? especially considering they did not suffer any discrimination by and through their pursuit and claim to retain dominance over other, they did not suffer any repression because of skin color or ethnicity or culture. Why wouldn't whites like it like it was, when they felt they could ration out rights and ration out justice and ration out what ever, only in the ways they wanted to ration it. not just to minorities but to women as well.

There is no easy way to stand up for what is equality when inequity and inequality still exist. And no matter which black person stands up, or when they stand up, they will be faced with backlash and public vilification. But, thankfully for all of society, there always comes black voices that do stand up, and do speak up, and do not back down and do push forward. The only things black people have said in all these centuries and decades, is for white people to respect the Constitution for All People as Americans, to Respect the Civil Rights and Civility of All People as Americans, and to Respect the Openness of Opportunity for All people as Americans, and Conduct Law and Justice fair for All people as Americans.

The question may well be, "why do some white people have a problem with that"? If there was no problem with that by some white people, then there would be no need for people of color to stand up and have voice to demand Equality and Fairness In All Things as American people.

We'd all have a very different America if never there was racism and never all that it composed and all the tragic things of the long history of its existence.

It's been said in many ways by many people long ago, "that it would be a long road with much work to root out the racism in the hearts and minds of a society that was reared and groomed through racist ideologies.

By what means people find to gain voice among the masses, will be many, by many means now and in the future, not just by blacks but by a variety of groups who will push their voice forward.
When Muhammad Ali risk the wealthy and all to make his stand and voice known, white society vilified him, time brought his voice to be a voice that is revered around the world. The same was done to MLK, and time brought his voice to be revered around the world. We already know any voice that rise up to break down the vestiges of a racist heritage in American will be met with being vilified when it speaks. Time will change that as well.
There are many other ethnic groups still to this very day whom benefit and continue to benefit by the voice of black people standing up for equality and fairness, and some of those same ethnic and racial groups whom vilify blacks for their voice, result each time to enjoy the benefits gained in equality and fairness because of that same black voice they vilified.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 08-29-2016 at 06:23 PM..

Old 08-29-2016, 05:46 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
His wife and her ideology is already having an effect on him.
I only know a very little about the guy. But my impression of him from that very little I know is that he wants to do right, and connect with black people in the United States while doing so.

I think he is taking the wrong direction on the BLM thing though. Although, if his wife (or fiancée) is one of the leaders or one of the founders then I suppose he feels strongly compelled to show support for the campaign she is involved in.

I get the impression his life has been far removed from the inner-cities and violent types in them I know. I suspect he views many of the most ruthless in that world as misunderstood, social conscious peeps.

BLM itself is one of the United States great divisive movements. In that sense it will work great for Democrats and liberals. And indirectly it will work great for Republicans and conservatives. One of the cultural problems is the two party system.

Neither left nor right in the United States has thought about promoting a moral character among all its people regardless of sex, race, religion, sexual orientation, or political identity that in which the conscience of all the people are shocked and outraged at any act of cruelty and real injustice.

The case in point of the beautiful and young Brittanee Drexel. A barbarity and savagery on par with acts of cruelty the Christian KKK carried out through Jim Crow era. I have trouble not wanting to take a hatchet and slam it into the skulls of those animals. And draw a sidearm on any liberal, BLM, anti-gun, self righteous militant that wants to try and intervene on me.

But black Democrats want to disarm and in total illogic trust the defense of their children lived to the white cops they claim they can't trust their children's life with. But many whites are armed to the teeth and how many more Brittanee Drexels' before quite a number of whites snap, and racial tensions roll over into full scale violence?

Here is a problem with BLM concerning themselves with global warming, two guys blowing each other, Michael Brown, but NO Brittanee Drexel.

And this atheletes actions in support of BLM fuel that.

The father of one of the raping murderers was supposedly their at the house. So, no, it's just not a matter of fathers being in the home and all boys turn out good. And no, having been reared in the Baptist Church and going to bible study rather than raping, murdering, and feeding to prehistoric creatures some young girl who had family and loved ones wanting to see her walk through the door, would not have been worse for America or these people that tortured and killed her. Only in the warped minds of Americans is that militant secularism better than being "churched." (Not that the "churched" can't commit cruelties because the Christian KKK did).

Old 08-29-2016, 05:48 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Kaepernick is not obligated not to hate America but his claims (that the country oppresses blacks and people of color) is a bald-faced lie. If it were true, he wouldn't have been able to achieve the success he has achieved -- same with Obama and other successful blacks. This, by the way, is a good thing.
The being able to is why I served. I no longer argue the hate/love crap. I ONLY have control over my heart.

Others can judge. I choose to no longer judge others... Unless I'm on a jury.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:48 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Lol, a half black person, abandoned by both parents, raised by a middle class white couple, and signs a multi million dollar deal top play a game, is upset at the "oppression" of blacks, people of color, or whatever cause he decided to latch onto.

Sorry, I find his "protest" rather absurd.
Possibly so, because likely you are not black, nor half black or have any of the experiences he has had as a person, or individual, and maybe the realizations that money is not everything might just be a reality. Think of the "inferences" you push by denoting your summary of categories.

There are a variety of stories on the Internet, of white couples with black kids, and mixed couples with mixed kids, who have to "have the talk" with their kids for the sake of social safety as well as other conversation they have about racism and discrimination. What would be great is for racism and racial and ethnic discrimination not to exist.

The more voices that fight against it, the better it becomes for all of society for all people.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:50 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
it's a song about a flag and a battle, has nothing to do with race.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:50 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
haha! He just said what many others have said too.

This. They are still in their pre-season so they can do something about it. Which I hope they do.
Not to slightly alter but... They should cut him because he is a shell of 2013. Business decision.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:51 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsFanaticist View Post
Except the national anthem is a British drinking song that condones slavery.

Star-Spangled Bigotry: The Hidden Racist History of the National Anthem
it's a song about a flag and a battle, has nothing to do with race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies