Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:28 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times

Advertisements

Rioters break into Belgrade's US Embassy - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Serbs vent anger over Kosovo - Europe - MSNBC.com (broken link)

and more people hating the USA because intervention.The EU actually has more to do with it yet anger is again being placed toward the USA.

When will leaders learn that nation building never works unless all parties agree to it.

Its so confusing I don't even fully understand why they hate each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 11:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I think they hate each other because of a tradition of hatred and they know each other so very well. These cultures seem to have a strangle hold on the Velcro Grudge and use it to kill each other for ever and ever.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:45 AM

true,and that's why it is stupid to think that we or any other nation can just make everything al'right.Same with peace in the middle east.

It just makes some people like us and more people hate us and the ones that hate you come back and bite you.

Yeah so we stopped on going genocide (hopefully),but then the nation building starts and it never goes the way it's suppose to.And counting on Russia to not interfere is a big hopeful.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:54 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,227,902 times
Okay. So this is how the (Serbs) Orthodox Christians behave when they don't like something. No beheadings... 32 Injured.

Looks a bit better than the car burnings in France a few months back.

Dang. I could hardly remember what the beef was about. Last time in 91 I was staying with a friend in Switzerland and he explained it to me. Seems so complicated, but it boils down to Christians and Muslims again.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:09 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Similar to the middle eastern grudges, it goes back centuries ago. Kosovo became part of the Ottoman empire in 13 ... 80-something. This brought in the Albanians and the Serbs didn't dig that too much and haven't been digging it for centuries. Then after the recent war, Kosovo was incorporated into Serbia and the Kosovars didn't like it, so now they declare independence to the chagrin of Serbia and their pals in Russia ... so the Serbs are ticked that Kosovo isn't Serbian anymore, Kosovo is happy with its little independent self and there you have it, the makings of another Balkan war!

Old 02-21-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Similar to the middle eastern grudges, it goes back centuries ago. Kosovo became part of the Ottoman empire in 13 ... 80-something. This brought in the Albanians and the Serbs didn't dig that too much and haven't been digging it for centuries. Then after the recent war, Kosovo was incorporated into Serbia and the Kosovars didn't like it, so now they declare independence to the chagrin of Serbia and their pals in Russia ... so the Serbs are ticked that Kosovo isn't Serbian anymore, Kosovo is happy with its little independent self and there you have it, the makings of another Balkan war!
I love it when you all explain it simple for a simpleton like me .

Probably war again with NATO troops in the middle this time,and maybe Russian who knows.

It would be great to bring peace to the world but sometimes scratching a itch makes it itch worse in the end.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:25 PM

438 posts, read 1,508,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Since you seem to know what you're talking about (you more than me anyway) I'll direct this to you. I know the Serbs are ethnic Slavs, as are the Russians. Are the Kosovars ethnically different? I know they're Muslims, but I'm not sure about their ethnicity. Now, do you think this will lead to another global war, as was the case in WWI? Anyone can answer that last question.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:35 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
If it wasn't looking like "war soon", it wouldn't be the Balkans...right? It CERTAINLY doesn't speak well for those dreamers who envision a rosy 'multiculturalism', does it? There is no significant 'racial' angle here at ALL...this is cultural animosity, pure and simple.

Yugoslavia "held together' after a fashion for some decades. It was FORCED to do so by the 'iron hand' of communist 'strong man' Tito. When Tito died, his 'authority' died with him...and the results are tragic....'nice' people, some of them very well-educated---whose only problem is the absolutely can't STAND their neighbor and his 'culture'.

The IRONY is that, very near my home, is a large community of Serbs..AND a large community of Croatians...right in the same city (!). These folks 'get along fine', and tease, joke, and interact with each other (no bombings, no rapes, no shootings), because they immigrated here and became AMERICANS...which meant they "left the bad stuff at home", and now have "assimilated' into the basic American culture.

Back home in Europe, there never was a "Yugoslavian Culture"..it was a multicultural 'construct' of folks forced (under draconian laws) to "get along--or ELSE". They 'got along', but never 'assimilated' to each other.

I think OUR system is the BETTER one, and I have NEVER heard of a truly successful nation that lasted very long that was TRULY multicultural, and at the same time, FREE. Cultures by nature CLASH....they INFRINGE on each other....and hostility inevitably breaks out. FAR better to encourage all our varous groups to 'assimilate' our differences, instead of 'celebrating' them. Leave the "celebration" to the holidays...

Old 02-21-2008, 12:41 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
Since you seem to know what you're talking about (you more than me anyway) I'll direct this to you. I know the Serbs are ethnic Slavs, as are the Russians. Are the Kosovars ethnically different? I know they're Muslims, but I'm not sure about their ethnicity. Now, do you think this will lead to another global war, as was the case in WWI? Anyone can answer that last question.
Don't mean to 'butt in' but it's my understanding that NONE of these folks have any significant ETHNIC differences--it's culture and religion. The muslims in the Balkans are 'native people' who converted to Islam under the Turks...and as such, are resented as 'turncoat' Christians who 'went along to get along', and adopted Islam to 'save their necks'.

The Serbs are mostly Orthodox Christians (some similarities to Catholics, but without revering the position of today's Pope)...and the Croats are Roman Catholics. But MOST areas have all THREE groups living in close proximity--and in some cases, Orthodox, Catholics and Muslims live in the same towns, and even know each other personally-adding to the tragedy of the bizarre violence of the region...

Old 02-21-2008, 12:42 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
I'm glad Kosovo is now independent, though I suspect the final compromise might involve a small portion reverting back to Serbia.

Watch out for the discussions involving Spain now too, the Basque issue will probably flare up as a result of the EU support of Kosovo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies