Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the federal government mechanically limit trucks and buses to below 68MPH?
Yes 21 26.58%
No 35 44.30%
Its not the federal governments place 20 25.32%
I have no idea, I'm too busy texting 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 04:43 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,735,028 times

Advertisements

"Self-driving" automobiles are nothing more than another wet dream of corporations and government who have a perpetual desire to dictate every conceivable aspect of our lives...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 04:49 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,926,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalDiscord View Post
It isn't ready.
If we are to believe the statistics provided by Tesla they have better accident/mile ratio than humans and it's from a sample size of millions of miles, it can only improve. Granted this is highway driving.

Quote:
Here is the problem... that risk is then placed into the systems hands and taken form me. That means, the system then decides who dies and who lives based on its inability to handle some unknowns to which I know I could easily handle.
I understand your concerns and I wouldn't tell you that you have to use one of these cars but the reality is they are operational. As far as full implementation the problem is not the tech, it's other issues such as how you remove millions of cars from the road that are not driverless. What is going to happen probably within the next 10 to 20 years is they will mandate this in vehicles. There will be a 10 year grace period and any vehicle that is not driverless will not be allowed on the road after the end of the grace period. You can expect that in 20 or 30 years all cars will be driverless.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
"Self-driving" automobiles are nothing more than another wet dream of corporations and government who have a perpetual desire to dictate every conceivable aspect of our lives...
This wet dream is about to go active in Pittsburgh. It's going to be quite a while before you won;t be able to drive your own car but it will happen.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This wet dream is about to go active in Pittsburgh. It's going to be quite a while before you won;t be able to drive your own car but it will happen.
The thug government will do whatever they wish to us. We are only "citizens" and not human beings. We are property, slaves, an animals to the Holy State. We have only "privileges" and no natural human rights. There is nothing that the evil institution of government will not do to human beings...

Old 08-30-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
In order to enforce such, they would have to network....
Networking them would be the goal. This would result in huge efficiency gains, more cars on the same roads, getting to where you are going much faster and a lot of other benefits. Streets would not need stop signs, lights, direction of travel etc. Think about this for second, the car drops you off at your destination and goes and parks itself around the corner in the middle of the street because there isn't enough traffic to justify opening the street to car travel. There is so many possibilities with this tech.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:26 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,262,199 times
I appreciate the arguments against government control, usurping of individual will and choice, etc. I'm usually right there with you and I don't disagree -- but this stuff is coming whether we like it or not. And, honestly, there are times when I'm on the road lately that I do like it. For starters, when a light turns green, why do the slack-brained idiots ahead of me take, on average, about 2 seconds each to start moving, ensuring only a handful of us get through the light?

There are arguments to be made that self-driving AI will kill jobs -- truckers, delivery people, cabbies, valets, etc. There are arguments to be made that not owning anything will be a technologically-enforced form of communism. And we can talk about how huge an adjustment this could be for people like us, about how some of the great American experiences -- learning how to drive, saving up for a car, fixing a car up, going on road trips -- will be dead.

I'm not sure I'm all that keen on the whole thing overall, but it's coming nevertheless. I think AI will be that good and I think most people, who HATE driving and would rather do anything else than pay attention to the road, especially younger people, will clamor for it. I guess the unfortunate thing and what you're pointing out is the dissolution of choice: Driving yourself around will one day be viewed the same as we view those who don't carry smartphones today. Then at some point it'll be viewed as dangerous and anti-social. Finally, it will be made illegal.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 08-30-2016 at 05:35 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Networking them would be the goal. This would result in huge efficiency gains, more cars on the same roads, getting to where you are going much faster and a lot of other benefits. Streets would not need stop signs, lights, direction of travel etc. Think about this for second, the car drops you off at your destination and goes and parks itself around the corner in the middle of the street because there isn't enough traffic to justify opening the street to car travel. There is so many possibilities with this tech.
Utilization of passenger vehicles currently is in the 4% range. That is, the average car in the US spends about 96% of its time just sitting, turned off. Autonomous, shared vehicles could be utilized at a level of magnitude greater percentage of the time.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
If we are going to dismiss individual liberties to this level, why bother with private ownership of vehicles at all? We could easily force everyone to use public transportation and achieve the same level of efficiency.
This is what they really wanted, and these self-driving cars are just an alternative approach to eliminate the freedom to travel that is not in the interest of the Holy State.

Technically, we don't own vehicles now and we have no right to drive them. We rent the exclusive usage privilege to a vehicle, but don't pay your tithes to the State, and you will lose that "ownership". And you have no right to drive, you have the privilege to drive, as long as you kneel before the thug State. Same as any other property "rights" in this nation. They are privileges not rights. You pay to buy them, then you continue to pay to use them. Stop paying the extortionists and you stop "owning" them quickly, and will be killed if you absolutely refuse to pay off the criminal organization known as the government.

Anyway, these self-driving cars will wind up being mandatory (like everything else in a tyranny) with allowable routes, times, places, and of course it will be a privilege and not a right.

If all of the freedom hating, human hating, planners really wanted to be efficient they would just start throwing us into mass graves already...but then we would not be producing for them

Old 08-30-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
If we are going to dismiss individual liberties to this level, why bother with private ownership of vehicles at all?
Private ownership of vehicles is not going to last either, as I mentioned earlier.

In the future you will own nothing and have access to everything

^ Good excerpt.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:03 PM

30,226 posts, read 23,649,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I'm assuming our passenger cars are next? What our limit going to be? Hopefully its 68 or more so we can at least still pass trucks.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/30/...ig-rig-speeds/
Here's the problem with these regulations. It's not just about reducing the speeds, it's also about the fact that many truckers are only paid while they run. They are not paid to wait, to sleep, to fill up, to sit while waiting for a load, to sit in traffic, etc. The way that truckers make money is by actually driving a load. (Unless they have a local union job.) Again, the majority are paid ONLY by the miles of pulling an actual load.

So here comes the government. They want to tell truckers when to sleep, when to take time off, when to run, how long they can run, how fast they can run, etc. You can have someone run out of time while they sit at a dock waiting for a load, or just as soon as they pull in to a fuel bay, etc. They are not able to get around it like before, (majority), because most of them now use e-logs instead of manually entering the info.

They HAVE to take a break every 8 hours. They HAVE to have a 36 hour reset after so many hours (driving or not), they HAVE to stop driving after they have reached a certain amount of hours, they have to log on to their system that shows when they are in the truck, when they are driving, when they are on a break, etc.

The government does not take in to account traffic jams, construction zones, accidents, detours, bad weather, crowded truck stops, wrong turns, etc. The government does not take in to account that most truckers ONLY get paid when they run an actual load. All that other work that they do, they are not getting paid for it. Scales, fueling, inspection (pre trip on EVERY trip), cleaning the truck inside and out, filling out paperwork, etc, NONE of that is included in pay. The trucker does that for free.

If you regulate every last second of a trucker's day, you're going to cause MORE accidents, not less. It would be like the government coming in and telling you when you should sleep, doesn't matter if you're tired or not, the government says that you are, so you will stop earning money right now...too bad if the load is late. Get enough late loads, you don't get the good runs later on...because the government wants to tell you how to do your job that they have never done.

OTR trucking is not a 9-5 job, it's not a 5 day a week job, and to have government come in and start bossing people around on a subject they know nothing about reeks of lobbyists making deals and screwing over the working man/trucker.

As for those who want to trash talk truckers...you all wouldn't have one thing in your home right now were it not for a trucker. Be more patient on the road, stop being jackasses when around them, and stop acting like they are the enemy just because you're in a big fat hurry to go nowhere.

You can rest assured that the government will not stop with truckers, so it will affect you one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies