Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you see those wanting diversity for the sake of diversity as:
Trying to see past race and ethnicity 10 9.71%
Being PC and it's more about looking tolerant 56 54.37%
Oh, give me a break and a beer 37 35.92%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 07:44 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Personally, I think it's more important WHY an area is diverse or not than how diverse it is.

For example, being from the Midwest, there are a lot of small towns that are almost exclusively white because that's how historical settlement patterns worked (and because of sundown towns, but mostly because of economic reasons.) Many of them have small black, Hispanic, and Asian populations that fit in just fine. I'd have no problems living in a town like that; in fact, I've worked in them before and sort of live in one now. It's cool.

My observation is that if a neighborhood is intentionally 95% white and the surrounding area clearly is not, then there are likely to be attitudes present in that neighborhood that I would rather not associate with. In that case, I'd rather look for a "diverse" neighborhood where "keeping the minorities out" is not a priority of many of the residents. I'd feel the same way about a mostly black or Hispanic neighborhood for the same reasons. So it has nothing to do with being a "badge" for me.
Really good points. Plus, as far as the "keeping the minorities out" perception people have of a particular area, once an area gains a reputation for being that way it can take a long time to shake off.

My optimistic side thinks some areas that are overwhelmingly populated by one ethnicity that retain that composition not because of current discriminatory attitudes, but because potential residents shy away due to the baggage of past attitudes.

The current population may be more open than the past population, but once an area is known for its prejudices, it's a reputation that's slow to improve.

Some areas still have lots of residents with those prejudices, though, so the reputation is still valid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 07:45 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Seeking a diverse neighborhood is discrimination at work. First, who gets to decide what is diverse? If all people are equal then saying there must be a certain makup of races is discrimination because it assigns some value to skin color.

Then do we include political and reglious beliefs too? are we going to make sure there is a diverse politcal arrangement? And just how does that work?

Those claiming to want diversity are among the least diverse people around because they want to decide what diversity means, how its accomplished and then the ultimate, how diversity is controlled.

Yes, control. That is at the heart of all diversity efforts. So someone moves out of the neighborhood or maybe a few. It upsets the arrangement. Can anyone move in or are those willing to move in right away discouraged so that a similar component (people) to those that left can be incentivized to move in?

Then naturally, someone has to be on some form of decision making body to insure diversity is maintained. Oh goodie, lets get out the red vwlvet robes and polished gold chalices with some great red wine.

Diversity is just another control mechanism no beyter than what some seek to get rid of. The only difference is that then they, not someone elae gets to decide who gets to live here and who gets shunted there.

Note that those who talk loudest about diversity often live in the least diverse neighborhoods. That is of course, unless you can pay the entry fee.

How many people of color or other cultures live along the 17 mile drive in Carmel? How about other "exclusive" communities such as where Tim Cook lives, where Warren Buffet lives, both ardent Hillary supporters and talking heads for wealth distribution and LGBT rights. Yet, these are the people who get chauffeured down from mount olyimpus to tell everyone else about diversity.

Juat how diverse are the fund raising dinners for Hillary and yes, Trump? Do they reflect diversity? If not then juat what neighborhoods do they live in?

Old 08-31-2016, 07:54 PM

31,047 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Its racist to seek racial diversity, because you are rejecting certain areas due to their racial makeup.
Yep, Just because you live in a diverse neighborhood doesnt mean you are an open minded person.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:58 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
People hide behind diversity so they can decide who isn't diverse.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:04 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
How many people of color or other cultures live along the 17 mile drive in Carmel?
I think it's mostly Aspen trees. Not very diverse. I'm kidding, those houses are probably well into the 8 figures. Drove that last summer on a grey day in a Porsche Boxster, enchanting day.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:02 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Yikes. Not my kind of place but glad the daughter did well.
You don't like high-income areas?

Old 08-31-2016, 10:20 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,847 times
Can someone explain to me how exactly....

"Diversity is our strength" ??

What's so strong about diversity? The most monumental accomplishments in man kinds history were by the least diverse civilizations.

WTH?

Old 09-01-2016, 05:33 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpistan View Post
I answered the question that was asked. Which is "Is seeking a diverse neighborhood just being PC?"

You were the one that disagreed with my answer and yet you know nothing at all about the area where I live. My answer has to do with MY city, MY family, MY situation.
I believe you described the people who left as (White Flight Racists). I challenged that statement. Why is it racist to leave?

Old 09-01-2016, 08:27 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
This is the order in which I decide where to live:
1. Cost - Can I afford to live here? If not, nothing else matters.
2. Crime rate
3. Proximity to job
4. Proximity to everything else, including different types of restaurants.

Racial demographics is not a factor.
Rarely do those four things ever come as a combo, especially where I live.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:29 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Nope. If you read farther you will see I stated I enjoy being around my own people. People I share a culture/heritage/language with. On top of the fact the reason the schools suck is because 70% of the students don't understand English in ANY form....The crime FOLLOWS these people. It did not affect me when we lived in the smaller town.
Okay then. If someone moved into your neighborhood, and said person just happened to be a different race, what would you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies