Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you see those wanting diversity for the sake of diversity as:
Trying to see past race and ethnicity 10 9.71%
Being PC and it's more about looking tolerant 56 54.37%
Oh, give me a break and a beer 37 35.92%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 06:42 PM

1,202 posts, read 641,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Okay then. If someone moved into your neighborhood, and said person just happened to be a different race, what would you do?
I don't live in a neighborhood for a few reasons. I HATE neighbors. I HATE other peoples kids. I HATE not having my space. I don't have to worry about who moved in nearby when I own 2-10 acres of land with my home on it! If I DID live in a neighborhood it would be in one that had a covenant so we can control who moves in and out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 07:34 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251
I voted for PC, but im not sure that is the right term.
Yes its just more PC crap!!

Old 09-01-2016, 07:41 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Questions to anyone:

1) Why MUST everywhere in the US and Europe be diverse?

2) Why doesn't everyone insist on diversity in Africa, China, India, Mexico,stc.. where there is actually LESS diversity?

3) Do you not realize that if everywhere is "diverse" nowhere is "diverse" ??-Its all the same!!

4) Attention Liberals - Are we "all the same" or are we "diverse"? Which is it? Do I "celebrate our differences" or "view everyone equally" as the same?

I'm confused....

What are you talking about? Africa is a continent and it is EXTREMELY diverse. Nigeria alone has over 200 ethnic groups. India is also very diverse.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:14 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Diversity doesn't have to mean racial diversity. They could be talking about the availability of restaurants, shopping, and other amenities.
Agree. A downside of living in NH is the lack of good ethnic restaurants to eat at. I love Indian buffets, Japanese sushi and good Mexican food. I can also appreciate a good Armenian bakery. I miss good Asian grocery stores too.

However, I am very happy living in a white majority town. Always have, always will.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:42 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
What are you talking about? Africa is a continent and it is EXTREMELY diverse. Nigeria alone has over 200 ethnic groups. India is also very diverse.

Then for that matter ALL... every single white area on the planet is also diverse..... yet people insist it is not

Old 09-01-2016, 10:56 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
That's funny. Where are all the Europeans and Asians in Nigeria? Where are all the Europeans and Central Africans in India?

The reason there are so many ethnics in India is because there is a strong racist caste system, so it's not from the practice of "diversity" as understood in the US.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:39 PM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I don't think that "seeking a diverse neighborhood" is trying to be PC. It's saying that they would value being in an integrated neighborhood over a segregated one (whether it's almost all white, all black, all Hispanic, etc.) Of course, when choosing where to live, there should be other factors, but I don't think that not necessarily wanting to living in an almost all-your-race or ethnicity neighborhood is a bad thing.
Agreed.

Some of us feel that diverse neighborhoods are simply more interesting. But I know there are those who want to be a modern day Stepford.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:33 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Then for that matter ALL... every single white area on the planet is also diverse..... yet people insist it is not
Honestly, it seems like only certain types of white people in America are the only ones who don't think that white people can be diverse.

I am black. I have many friends and even family members who are white. There is a lot of diversity amongst the white population of America as well in both ethnic origins and in income and in ability/disability and various other factors.

People who don't acknowledge the diversity of people of European descent or the people on the continent of Africa or who live in India or who live in China (China is VERY diverse as well even in regards to language, it is a huge country with various ethnic groups) are just very narrow thinking, closed minded sorts of people.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:54 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Honestly, it seems like only certain types of white people in America are the only ones who don't think that white people can be diverse.

I am black. I have many friends and even family members who are white. There is a lot of diversity amongst the white population of America as well in both ethnic origins and in income and in ability/disability and various other factors.

People who don't acknowledge the diversity of people of European descent or the people on the continent of Africa or who live in India or who live in China (China is VERY diverse as well even in regards to language, it is a huge country with various ethnic groups) are just very narrow thinking, closed minded sorts of people.

Very true.

There really aren't many people who aren't racially mixed to some degree anymore.

I am would be considered "white" by anyone who looked at me but my mother was half American Indian.

Yet, I lay no claim to that part of my heritage. I could probably qualify for all sorts of social programs or benifits, but besides the fact that I'd probably get some raised eyebrows because I don't look Native American at all....the fact is I just don't believe in getting special treatment based on the color of my grandfather's skin.

Emphasizing my own "diversity" in order to gain financial sympathy just seems wrong to me......it's just plain irrelevant.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:06 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpistan View Post
It's racist because it's literally part of the definition.

When a black or hispanic family moves into a neighborhood and within a year or two the majority of people leave it's clear there are racial motivations.

Generally, “blockbusting” denotes the real estate and building development business practices yielding double profits from U.S. anti-black racism

The real estate business practice of "blockbusting" was a for-profit catalyst for white flight and a means to control non-white migration. By subterfuge, real estate agents would facilitate black people buying a house in a white neighborhood, either by buying the house themselves, or via a white proxy buyer, and then re-selling it to the black family. The remaining white inhabitants (alarmed by real estate agents and the local newsmedia),[25] fearing devalued residential property, would quickly sell, usually at a loss. Losses happened when they sold en masse, and would sell the properties to the incoming black families, profiting from price arbitrage and the sales commissions from both the blacks and the whites. By such tactics, the racial composition of a neighborhood population often changed completely in a few years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockbusting
Shrug maybe that happens, I'm sure there are some people who freak out at the first sign of change. Most people just don't have the finances to sell out and move simply because a black family moved into a house 2 streets over.
From what I understand the alleged (white flight) which isn't just whites doing it, happens when conditions within a neighborhood changes. Whether it be due to increased crime, properties no longer maintained. Like it or not a house is an investment. I will cut my losses if property values are dropping. You would be a fool not to, if you could afford it.
For me as I said earlier. I won't live in a city. Not because minorities live there. I am married to a so-called minority. I don't like what comes with living in most cities. Traffic, pollution, crime, and the complete indifference to who your neighbor is.
Drive through Queens. Everybody has bars on their windows. Those bars aren't for decoration.

Last edited by boneyard1962; 09-02-2016 at 07:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies