Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:27 PM

1,202 posts, read 641,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Let's just say the 500 "founders" have a long history of rock solid conservatism. And that their platform is even more conservative than the GOP's (which is pretty conservative, even if often ignored by GOP politicians).
Depends on a lot of things I suppose. I like Coulter,Trump. But that's about it. I am more of a nationalist and not a conservative but many of my views are traditional. I am against the neo con foreign policy against support for Israel etc. So I doubt it. Its probably why I have never joined a party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 09:35 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The ranks of conservative Republicans has been declining for some time now, although that decline has accelerated substantially over the last year and a half. The "bolting" that you speak of is an ongoing process which is likely to slow due to the rapidly decreasing number of people who identify as conservative Republicans who are available to "bolt".

The Republican party appears to have run its course. It deserves to die and dying it appears to be. What comes next, I do not know.
I disagree. There are many, many surveys showing the vast majority of Republicans identify as at least somewhat conservative. Collectively, the top two GOP nominees for Prez this year absolutely trounced the more moderate candidates. Mr. Moderate, John McCain, just won his primary....with 50% of the vote.

Other examples are numerous. (Our own Olympia Snowe retired after she learned that she was about to be primaried.)

Old 08-31-2016, 09:44 PM

3,327 posts, read 2,136,040 times
At the very least, my experience has been that most conservatives don't understand what conservatism (insofar as its Constitutional application is concerned) is. The modern "conservative" movement is every bit as clueless as the modern "liberal" movement given their respective proneness towards the embracing of ideological hypocrisy. Perhaps worse are the non like-minded masses who rally behind the extremists out of a misguided sense of drone-like loyalty. In either case, their loyalty is often misplaced in myopia and the majority of the population continues to suffer to varying extents because of it.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:34 AM

But what percentage would leave?

Old 09-01-2016, 05:59 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
But what percentage would leave?
What percentage has already left over the last 12 years or so? It is a high number, that is for sure.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
What percentage has already left over the last 12 years or so? It is a high number, that is for sure.

I don't think so. I think enrollment numbers in both parties have stayed pretty level for a number of years. Maybe a slight drop.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:34 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
A gallup poll from January. You can be sure these numbers have not improved appreciably since that time given the two assclowns that are heading their party's respective tickets.

Democratic, Republican Identification Near Historical Lows

Democrats 29%
Republicans 26%
Independents 42%

A very large part of those independents is conservatives who formally considered themselves to be Republicans, including myself. However, to be fair, I have not counted myself as a Republican for over 20 years now.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:14 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,251 times
Establishment Republicans can leave and start the moderate Republican party liberals are always saying they would vote for.

Good luck with that.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:04 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Trump is a populist. He pulls across party lines. He is the voice of the voiceless.

No one is stopping the Trump train.

Go Trump!
He's not pulling very much at all from any party but the Republican.
Trump knows it, too. He wouldn't be flip-flopping so desperately if he was actually pulling voters across party lines.

No one will have to stop the Trump train. Don is doing a fine job of jumping off the track all by himself.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:50 AM

6,750 posts, read 3,365,850 times
They already have the Tea Party. It's not a separate party but rather a group within a group that has more or less fractured the GOP to some extent. If they (or a group similar to them) went out on their own I don't think it would be beneficial or very successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies