Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 08:08 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,156,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yet 90% of eligible voters have somehow manged to procure ID.
Sorry, maybe you didn't read the original post. Certain groups have a harder time getting a copy of their birth certificate.

"...The midwife at the 1949 home birth in rural South Carolina delivered a healthy baby girl but didn't file a birth certificate. Donna Jean Suggs grew up, got a Social Security card and found work as a home health aide. Try as she might, though, she couldn't get a birth certificate. That meant she couldn't get a driver's license or register to vote...."

Voter Photo ID Laws Hit Older Americans Hard - Voting Rights - AARP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 08:21 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,792,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Sorry, maybe you didn't read the original post. Certain groups have a harder time getting a copy of their birth certificate.
There is such a small minority of people that fall into this category it's ridiculous. That said we can make accommodations for these people as long as it's not going to compromise the intention of the law to begin with, for example in PA they were issuing voting only ID's that were good for ten years that required minimal documentation. One reasons I have no concerns about this is theire will be very few people that need this and they use facial recognition, you might be able to obtain one fraudulent ID but you won't be getting another.

Quote:
Voter Photo ID Laws Hit Older Americans Hard - Voting Rights - AARP
Most elderly are already going to have ID they will no longer have to pay for. It's a benefit for the majority of them.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:24 PM

Almost every nation on the planet requires ID for voting, perhaps there is reason why?

Old 09-01-2016, 08:31 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,222,506 times
Quote:
There is such a small minority of people that fall into this category it's ridiculous. That said we can make accommodations for these people as long as it's not going to compromise the intention of the law to begin with, for example in PA they were issuing voting only ID's that were good for ten years that required minimal documentation. One reasons I have no concerns about this is theire will be very few people that need this and they use facial recognition, you might be able to obtain one fraudulent ID but you won't be getting another.

Most elderly are already going to have ID they will no longer have to pay for. It's a benefit for the majority of them.

As I have suggested before Nevada had a very simple system that kept everyone happy. You simply set up cameras at the polling places and shoot a picture of anyone not in the state data base. After two elections or so everyone is in. Defeated of course by the Republicans on the basis that it costs too much. Truth was the poor and colored would be allowed to vote. So can't have that.

I have never heard anyone successfully refute the system. The Republicans simply claim it costs too much which is nonsense. If the interest was that all who should vote..it is very cheap. And if you are not willing to spend a little it would tend to indicate that protecting the vote is not the motivator.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:42 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,332,503 times
Quote:
You cannot identify voter fraud no matter what the form of voting without identifying the voter, period. This is like telling a cop they cannot watch a stop sign and then declaring no one went though it because no tickets were issued.

In one small county in Florida a TV station found a hundred fraudulent registrations just by comparing voter rolls and jury questionnaires, many of them voted. How many votes was it again Bush won by in Florida?
that not the point, if having id would stop fraud, even if they wasn't any fraud, then why are you bitchin about it, having an id is not hurting anything

Old 09-01-2016, 08:46 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,332,503 times
they say its 10% of a population of only 13% that are effected, and only 50% of those vote, so the whole deal is about .017% of the poulation. that like four people per 10,000

Old 09-01-2016, 08:51 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,776,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
The first step is a copy of one's birth certificate---which every adult should have a copy of their own. If they have kids, they should also have the kids' copies.
Sorry!!! This is just a copy!

Now go to the hospital you were born and bring back a certified original.

How many elderly and teenagers are walking around with certified originals?

I am 54 years old the originals are still at my parents home thousands of miles away.

The hospital I was born Is thousands of miles away too.

Imagine now problems when hospital is closed or consolidated.

I myself didn't drive till 19 years old. If my university ID was not accepted I couldn't have voted my first time. I had no utility bills, no cell phone.

According to a study

69 percent of 19-year-olds had licenses in 2014, compared to 87.3 percent in 1983, a 21-percent decrease.

See:

The Decline of the Driver's License - The Atlantic

That's right a full 31% of 19 YO Americans can't vote If Republicans have their way.

It is 100% clear Republicans vote these ID laws into place for one reason and one reason only.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
As I have suggested before Nevada had a very simple system that kept everyone happy. You simply set up cameras at the polling places and shoot a picture of anyone not in the state data base. After two elections or so everyone is in. Defeated of course by the Republicans on the basis that it costs too much. Truth was the poor and colored would be allowed to vote. So can't have that.

I have never heard anyone successfully refute the system. The Republicans simply claim it costs too much which is nonsense. If the interest was that all who should vote..it is very cheap. And if you are not willing to spend a little it would tend to indicate that protecting the vote is not the motivator.
Setting up cameras in every polling place for a very small minority of people doesn't sound like a reasonable or cost effective solution to me.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post

69 percent of 19-year-olds had licenses in 2014, compared to 87.3 percent in 1983, a 21-percent decrease.

See:

That's right a full 31% of 19 YO Americans can't vote If Republicans have their way.
Not having a driver license does not mean they do not have ID. If they don't have one they will need one.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:57 PM

22,285 posts, read 11,785,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Sorry!!! This is just a copy!

Now go to the hospital you were born and bring back a certified original.

How many elderly and teenagers are walking around with certified originals?

I am 54 years old the originals are still at my parents home thousands of miles away.

The hospital I was born Is thousands of miles away too.

Imagine now problems when hospital is closed or consolidated.

I myself didn't drive till 19 years old. If my university ID was not accepted I couldn't have voted my first time. I had no utility bills, no cell phone.

According to a study

See:

It is 100% clear Republicans vote these ID laws into place for one reason and one reason only.
Per the bolded--- What? When my daughter was born, while still in the hospital, I was given paperwork for her birth certificate that needed to be filled out. After it was filled out, I was given a form to mail to the state capitol to get her birth certificate. I was told to wait at least 3 months before requesting it. It's a certified copy and I got it 4 months after she was born. We used that birth certificate to get her an SSN and eventually her drivers license. When she was on her own, we gave it to her.

Recently, when she needed her kids' birth certificates, she contacted the states where they were born and they told her how to get them. Those birth certificates she received were good enough to enroll the kids in school. Just as her birth certificate, mine and my husband's were good enough for us, too.

Get it from the hospital? Seriously? What if the hospital no longer exists? If I lost my birth certificate, I would have to go to the proper office at the state capitol in the state where I was born.

I don't know where you get the idea that if you request your birth certificate through the proper channels that it wouldn't be valid. That's just ridiculous.

You do know that if you don't drive, you can go to your local DMV and get a photo ID, don't you? I didn't drive until well into my adulthood---and that's what I got for ID. I brought my birth certificate and my SS card. It was an easy process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies