Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 08:27 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,521,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
If illegals broke the law to come in to the country they have already demonstrated that they will pick and choose which laws they will obey. Some use stolen social security numbers to get earned income credits they aren't entitled to or various social welfare benefits they are aren't entitled to. Why is it we should assume that they'd never register to vote or just show up at the polling place saying they are someone else?
Actually, I really have very little concern regarding illegals voting. I believe the threat comes from hyper-partisan citizens and party insiders voting multiple times as well as friends and relatives of voters who don't vote throwing in an extra vote here and there.

Will it ever change a national election, probably not; however, it could determine small local elections which impact lives and businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 08:42 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,738,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Since voting is a constitutional right the ID if required should be free. You can pick it up when you register to vote- same day. Also allow early voting, same day registration and have enough voting locations that it does not hinder voting.
Just like owning a firearm is a constitutional right, yet requires an ID to purchase. So IDs should be free for those who want to purchase a firearm.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:39 AM

36,163 posts, read 30,636,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Here in TX voters had to have state-issued ID. In some outlying rural areas, people have to travel up to 250 miles to obtain one, and in many cases the DMV offices are only open part-time.

That means 2 days travel, cost of gas and overnight stay. Working people have to take 2 days off work. People without cars frequently don't have the means at all to make the trip.

As to how that affects minorities, here ya go:

https://www.thenation.com/article/fe...ng-rights-act/
Where exactly in Texas does one have to drive 250 miles to the nearest DMV. There are 254 counties and 173 counties have a DMV, 81 do not. Texas is a large state but I'm having a hard time imagining of the 81 counties that dont have one there is not a neighboring county with an office much closer than a 250 mile drive. I also wonder why this has not been brought up as Im sure all those people who had to drive 250 miles to renew their DL would have been having fits and would have contacted their legislators to do something about it.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:45 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,371,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
.....more than any other group?

Serious question, as I would like to know.

Thx much.

It's mostly about poverty and related issues, which in this country tends to be associated with some groups more than others.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:59 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,306,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Just like owning a firearm is a constitutional right, yet requires an ID to purchase. So IDs should be free for those who want to purchase a firearm.

Absolutely.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:01 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,524,570 times
Quote:
.....more than any other group?

Serious question, as I would like to know.

Thx much.
It doesn't. It does however make it more difficult for them to vote more than once or vote when they're dead. It also makes it more difficult for illegals to vote. That's why Democrats object so strenuously.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:09 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,976,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
It doesn't. It does however make it more difficult for them to vote more than once or vote when they're dead. It also makes it more difficult for illegals to vote. That's why Democrats object so strenuously.
I would like to know how an illegal gets registered in an state.....it would only occur by error.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:32 PM

14,880 posts, read 12,033,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Alabama Will Reopen Closed DMV Offices in Black Counties
Alabama Will Reopen Closed DMV Offices in Black Counties

"I recognize the closure of the 31 driver's license offices affects mostly rural areas of the state," Bentley said. "To suggest the closure of the driver's license offices is a racial issue is simply not true, and to suggest otherwise should be considered an effort to promote a political agenda."

I am shocked! Shocked I tell you!
They will never admit that the real reason for all the squawking about id's required for voting is to prevent those not not eligible to vote, by virtue of being noncitizens, convicted felons from voting, and to prevent those inclined from voting as often as it takes to elect their candidate. The Dems object to voter id as they figure these measures can be used to ensure the election of their candidate, by hook or crook.

One does have to wonder how these poor souls who find getting a picture ID an impossible task manage anywhere else picture id's are required.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
I would like to know how an illegal gets registered in an state.....it would only occur by error.
One could register with an alias and other phony information, claiming to be a citizen even if he's not, if there is no requirement to validate such information with valid ID or any other documents. Registrants may be required to sign an affidavit saying they are citizens, but without proof that means nothing.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
That is what gets me. You need an ID to drive, get insurance, get a job, enter certain establishments, buy alcohol & tobacco......but somehow it is a hardship to require it to vote.

In reality a requirement that extends to everyone isn't discriminatory. All those protests about the requirement for ID being "discriminatory" is just an excuse because the Democrats don't want to see the requirement in place. Those they claim have the hardship are those they assume will vote Democrat. Maybe as many times as it takes.

If they claim getting those voter IDs are so hard for their constituents to get and therefore discriminatory, perhaps they'd be willing to establish the same system that's used in many other countries to make sure people only vote once. That involves marking the hand with indelible paint to show the person has voted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies