Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 01:15 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times

Advertisements

Always enjoy this topic when democrats saying requiring someone to show ID to vote violates the bill of rights while requiring me to show two forms of ID, pass a background check and wait 10 days to buy a gun some how does not violate the same bill of rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 01:23 PM

1,050 posts, read 505,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... no medical care for all those people with no photo ID?
Did you not read all my post or is your comprehension suffering today?

Old 09-19-2016, 01:26 PM

88,969 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
Did you not read all my post or is your comprehension suffering today?
Yes, you said they had to verify one's identity, which is true. That's why my Mom had to show a photo ID before the hospital would admit her for surgery.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:54 PM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
[quote=residinghere2007;45538037]
Quote:
On the blue, yes as a part of my job, we did help them get their ID. We took them to the DMV or state office. We also provided transportation to the polls (many of the polls were in their buildings if it was a public housing location for others in privately managed communities, we bussed them to their polling place in our company busses that we also used to take them on trips or grocery shopping). We had a resident services department that helped them with their paperwork. I helped to process paperwork for those who had particularly difficult situations like the woman senior I mentioned earlier. Practically all the ones who couldn't get an "official" birth certificate were referred to me and it took a long time to work out those issues.
See. There are organizations in place that help people to get the documents they need to vote.

Quote:
This is the financial cost it seems that people like you don't want to consider (and you are a "young-un" IMO at 55, practically all of the seniors in our locations that we had to help - about 100 seniors, were in the 70s to 90s and had very severely limited mobility and physical disabilities, many had vision problems and we had to assist them a lot one on one when this law was passed to get them back voting).
And what if seniors with severely limited mobility and physical disabilities dont have someone to get them to the polls and "help" them vote? They dont go vote. If they do these people will help with getting a photo ID.

Quote:
The state is providing all of this assistance to people to solve a problem that statistically doesn't even exist. And you are kidding yourself if you think that the ID is only $10. How much does a BC cost in your state? If they don't have one, they have to pay for the BC. If the name is wrong on the BC, they have to pay to get it corrected. It can easily get past $100 to get a BC corrected. Back then when we were doing this, it was $25 for a BC itself with no issues. My daughter was born in that state and when we moved, I had to pay $40 for her BC to get it mailed out to me. A lot of seniors live on $40 of groceries per week in senior housing.
I looked up the cost for photo ID's for those over sixty in all states. The average cost if it wasnt free was $10. A copy of a BC in my sate is about $8 if you pick it up at the health dept. Again, copies of BC is something everyone should have in order. These things are needed when applying for many government services.
Quote:
I also doubt the women suffragists of the past would roll over in their graves about elderly women, who were children when they achieved voting rights for women in this country, would be denied the right to vote.
They are not being denied the right to vote. They are being asked to get a free state issued ID. These suffragists went to jail and today's woman wont go get an ID.

Quote:
I would bet they would advocate for them just like they did in the past.
I bet they would be disgusted at the lack effort and no lack of excuses.

Quote:
There is no reason to make them go through extra steps at a time in their lives where they have limited mobility and finances just to do something they have always done to your personal satisfaction. There is not reason for the ID laws. They also waste money of the states in regards to helping people get a new ID and having to provide transportation for these people to go to the polls.
It might be different if there were any real evidences to support the notion that the ID laws are reducing legitimate voter turnout. From the several studies I've read there is no conclusive evidence either way. In some states black votes have increased since the laws were passed, in some decreased and in some no significant change for both democratic and republican votes. And there is no measure as to particular individual voters or reasons for the shifting.

Quote:
It is a huge waste of money and you only support it because some right leaning politician told you to or you want to complain about "minorities." In real life, this primarily affects elderly people and students.
There you go again professing yourself privy to my personal life and motivations.
Every time I see a campaign against ID laws someone digs up some elderly person, usually a minority, that for some reason never bothered to get their BC in order or let this or that expire and parade that one person to be a representative of the imagined masses that are so downtrodden and destitute they are unable to have gotten and retained their identification document over the last 70 years and days before election they are crying woe is me I am being denied my right to vote. I have yet to see evidence that requiring a photo ID is infringing on anyone's rights nor have I seen evidence of people (other than one or two examples nation wide) who are legitimately having difficulty (not inconvenience) getting said ID.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:00 PM

1,050 posts, read 505,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, you said they had to verify one's identity, which is true. That's why my Mom had to show a photo ID before the hospital would admit her for surgery.
Ok so you didn't comprehend it. I also said positive ID is to ensure they don't perform surgery on the wrong patient. And that negates your question of "no medical care for all those people with no photo ID?"

And no hospital limits acceptable IDs to any specifics like voting under voter ID laws do.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:03 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Who can go without ID these days? You need either your work pass or if a visitor picture ID to enter my office building!!!
Ditto, for medical appointments, dentists, eye doctors, etc.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:09 PM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Ok so you didn't comprehend it. I also said positive ID is to ensure they don't perform surgery on the wrong patient. And that negates your question of "no medical care for all those people with no photo ID?"

And no hospital limits acceptable IDs to any specifics like voting under voter ID laws do.
I have always been asked for a DL or state issue photo ID.

You realize one must be admitted (with photo ID) before surgery can be preformed. They dont wait until you are in the OR before they check your ID.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:10 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
See. There are organizations in place that help people to get the documents they need to vote.

And what if seniors with severely limited mobility and physical disabilities dont have someone to get them to the polls and "help" them vote? They dont go vote. If they do these people will help with getting a photo ID.

I looked up the cost for photo ID's for those over sixty in all states. The average cost if it wasnt free was $10. A copy of a BC in my sate is about $8 if you pick it up at the health dept. Again, copies of BC is something everyone should have in order. These things are needed when applying for many government services.
They are not being denied the right to vote. They are being asked to get a free state issued ID. These suffragists went to jail and today's woman wont go get an ID.

I bet they would be disgusted at the lack effort and no lack of excuses.

It might be different if there were any real evidences to support the notion that the ID laws are reducing legitimate voter turnout. From the several studies I've read there is no conclusive evidence either way. In some states black votes have increased since the laws were passed, in some decreased and in some no significant change for both democratic and republican votes. And there is no measure as to particular individual voters or reasons for the shifting.

There you go again professing yourself privy to my personal life and motivations.
Every time I see a campaign against ID laws someone digs up some elderly person, usually a minority, that for some reason never bothered to get their BC in order or let this or that expire and parade that one person to be a representative of the imagined masses that are so downtrodden and destitute they are unable to have gotten and retained their identification document over the last 70 years and days before election they are crying woe is me I am being denied my right to vote. I have yet to see evidence that requiring a photo ID is infringing on anyone's rights nor have I seen evidence of people (other than one or two examples nation wide) who are legitimately having difficulty (not inconvenience) getting said ID.
On the bold, those resources would be better spent in other ways and not helping people vote. Voting shouldn't take any unnecessary resources. I get the impression that you like wasting time and money. I don't. This "issue" IMO about voter fraud isn't a real issue. There are better things to focus on in serving seniors versus chasing down BCs and busing people all over the state to go back to their county of birth. Many of the BCs I had to get corrected were not in the state that I worked in. So I'd have to coordinate with other states via phone and fax and email to get this stuff done. It was a waste of time and money.

On the blue, there are volunteer organizations that help seniors with limited mobility go out and vote that are not publically funded.

On the red, you cannot look up BCs in all 50 states without looking at each local county/municipal government that issues those documents via their Vital Statistics department. All of them vary. Where I live a BC cost $20. In Fulton County, GA where I worked, a BC is $25. In Cook County/Chicago they are $15. They vary across the US. Usually they are under $30. However, if there is an issue, you have to pay to correct the issue and if they need an additional form of identification to correct the BC you have to pay for that additional form of ID. You don't know much about BCs and you cannot look up specific requirements by state. They are issued at the county level primarily across the country.

On the pink, there have been no "legitimate" studies that voter fraud is widespread either, neither before, nor after the passage of these voter IDs.

Also, I'll note that I am black and I personally do not believe there is any issue for black people as a whole to get identification, but there are specific segments of the black population and the population at large - the elderly, who have issues getting IDs. Seniors vote in very large numbers and so they are a vital voting block in certain states and IMO denying them access to the polls has been an effect of these laws. You don't care about people not voting, I do. There is no specific "personal" thing to get defensive about IMO. If you don't care, that's fine. But I do care about seniors and making sure they are able to vote.

I'll also note that many people spoke like you are writing in regards to various restrictions on voting in the past that have sense been outlawed (poll taxes, literacy tests, grandfather clauses, etc.).

Old 09-19-2016, 02:22 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Always enjoy this topic when democrats saying requiring someone to show ID to vote violates the bill of rights while requiring me to show two forms of ID, pass a background check and wait 10 days to buy a gun some how does not violate the same bill of rights.
Actually that is not a Democratic view as much as that of a conservative Supreme Court. They were the ones who said it could be regulated in spite of the amendments plain language. It is a standard part of the gunny conspiracy to avoid the real meaning of the second which they believe to be unsustainable in our present society.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:40 PM

88,969 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Ok so you didn't comprehend it. I also said positive ID is to ensure they don't perform surgery on the wrong patient.
I'm not buying it. We were specifically discussing photo ID. How can you positively ID someone for a surgical procedure without a photo ID? I have certified copies of my kids' BCs, as I'm sure most parents do. Could I get admitted to a hospital for medical treatment using one of them and saying that's who I am? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies