Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 07:31 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Wonder if there's an uptick in mortuary science students in Chitown. August was 3-killings a day.
Apparently city leaders only see this carnage as an annoyance.
Who's the mayor, anyway?
I hear the jobs with the highest need for workers in Chicago are:

Grave digger
Ambulance driver
Crime scene cleaners
coffin builders
obituary writer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 07:39 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
There have been some studies indicating that exposure to lead can influence a person's behavior, including being prone to violence.

Studies link childhood lead exposure, violent crime - Chicago Tribune

The link is to a 2015 article, but I got thinking about this last night when CBS news ran a new story about the level of lead found in the soil of some of the poorer Chicago neighborhoods. Here is a link to the story from the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...he-next-flint/

Of course, Chicago is experiencing gang-warfare, hence the number of murders and shootings. But I guess it is possible that some of these Chicago gang members may well have been exposed to unhealthy levels of lead, which, if the studies be true, may be part of the reason we have so many violent people in the area.
So, are trying to make an excuse for them?

And hey I know that if I go outside without a coat and it's 0 degrees out, I might shiver.

I didn't need a "study" to come to that conclusion.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:50 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
To put this in perspective, Detroit had 107 homicides in all of 2015.

And this is by no means a "Detroit isn't so bad" post- because 107 homicides in a year is bad, but 90 in a month? Holy ....

The political question to be had from this, and don't get me wrong - I'm still forming my opinion on this myself - is this caused by single-party political corruption leading to a situation where underlying issues are not appropriately addressed in favor of serving personal interests, or is this something at a more basic level? Is this the effect of poverty and ineffective, but well intended, policy which has failed to help lift people out of this?
"is this caused by single-party political corruption leading to a situation where underlying issues are not appropriately addressed in favor of serving personal interests"

Partly.

The dems have run this city for eons.

There are laws on the books and they don't enforce them. This comes from a mayor.

There is a thread out about how 2, 3 time crooks were out on parole after being entranced for multiple crime including illegal gun possession.

They should have still been in jail for the FIRST offense.

It is up to the politicians to close the "revolving door" or prisons.

The Chief of Police is starting to complain about it.

I don't know what took him so long.

", or is this something at a more basic level?"

Many poor, uneducated people seem to ALWAYS be in trouble.

We can't top it, but we CAN put a major dent in it.

Chicago, through the FBI, brought down Al Capone and busted up the rackets back then.

There is NO reason we can't do the same today with all the technology available to them.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:46 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
For those who want to blame political parties for this, here is the reality. Political parties are not responsible for Black on Black murder. The majority of murders in most major cities are Black on Black. From conservative cities like Jacksonville and Omaha, to liberal cities like New York and Oakland. Jacksonville is Florida's murder capital, per capita. Omaha has one of the highest Black murder victimization rates in the nation. It has a Republican mayor. The states of Louisiana, Indiana, Nebraska,Missouri and Oklahoma are conservative states. Black murder rates in those states are among the highest in the nation. It rivals liberal states like California , New Jersey, and Michigan.

Black men are the most likely to be murder victims in the USA. Often at the hands of other Blacks. Political parties don't matter. It's all over. What is happening in Chicago is not much different from what goes on in the ghettos of St. Louis, Omaha, Jacksonville, Oklahoma City, Oakland, Seattle, Milwaukee, Baltimore, and ghettos throughout the USA.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
There have been some studies indicating that exposure to lead can influence a person's behavior, including being prone to violence.

Studies link childhood lead exposure, violent crime - Chicago Tribune

The link is to a 2015 article, but I got thinking about this last night when CBS news ran a new story about the level of lead found in the soil of some of the poorer Chicago neighborhoods. Here is a link to the story from the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...he-next-flint/

Of course, Chicago is experiencing gang-warfare, hence the number of murders and shootings. But I guess it is possible that some of these Chicago gang members may well have been exposed to unhealthy levels of lead, which, if the studies be true, may be part of the reason we have so many violent people in the area.
Interesting.

While the majority of gun homicides in Chicago involve people with gang affiliation, the disputes that trigger the homicide tend to be personal.

The recent murder of Dwyane Wade's cousin, is typical of a personal dispute that did not involve the victim who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It began with a young man who " made eyes" with a ( Uber?) driver who had dropped off some women and was waiting for the return trip. The young man, called his brother with a gun to confront the driver. Big brother arrives with his gun and they harass the driver who takes off running with the 2 brothers in pursuit. Older brother opens fire and misses his target and instead kills Wade's cousin, pushing a stroller.

This is a level of cognition that is typically found in a sand box or the back seat of a car with 2 kids buckled into safety seats. Most parents have heard the " stop looking at me"

Old 09-02-2016, 09:46 AM

6,259 posts, read 5,066,250 times
From the article:
As he has several times before, Police Supt. Eddie Johnson said a relatively small group of repeat gun criminals are responsible for the the vast majority of gun violence in Chicago

What he's saying is nothing new. Ask any cop in any town small or large, and he will tell you the exact same thing.

Work the problem. Don't finger point and don't detract. You know where and who the problem is. Work the problem.

As an aside, I feel terrible for all the innocent lives that have been lost, and all the innocents who live in fear as a way of life. To fear for your children while they play outside, to fear for your children while they sit on their bed doing homework. It's unimaginable.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"is this caused by single-party political corruption leading to a situation where underlying issues are not appropriately addressed in favor of serving personal interests"

Partly.

The dems have run this city for eons.

There are laws on the books and they don't enforce them. This comes from a mayor.

There is a thread out about how 2, 3 time crooks were out on parole after being entranced for multiple crime including illegal gun possession.

They should have still been in jail for the FIRST offense.

It is up to the politicians to close the "revolving door" or prisons.

The Chief of Police is starting to complain about it.

I don't know what took him so long.

", or is this something at a more basic level?"

Many poor, uneducated people seem to ALWAYS be in trouble.

We can't top it, but we CAN put a major dent in it.

Chicago, through the FBI, brought down Al Capone and busted up the rackets back then.

There is NO reason we can't do the same today with all the technology available to them.
Sentencing and parole standards are set by the state, not the city.

Sentencing and parole standards are relatively lax in Illinois, especially when it involves a crime where an unpermitted gun was found/ used. The standards are substantially harsher in NY than they are in Illinois.

You have your activists who oppose stiffer sentences because of a perception they target the black population.

You have your downstate politicians who do not want to severely punish grandma on the farm for posession of an unpermitted gun she acquired to defend herself, just in case the bad guys invade her home.

You have a state with a huge unfunded ( and bipartisan) pension crisis in the making for 70 years that cannot afford to incarcerate all who deserve to be behind bars for a long, long time. Neither the Governor or Chicago's Mayor created the pension crisis.

While the majority of gun homicides involve someone with gang affiliation, the disputes that trigger shootings are usually childish and personal. Social media is exacerbating the personal disputes. Witnesses don't often come forward because they protect their own or because of fear of retaliation.

As Green Mariner has said in multiple threads, "you can't fix hood rat".

You can't rewire people's brains to just let it go.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
From the article:
As he has several times before, Police Supt. Eddie Johnson said a relatively small group of repeat gun criminals are responsible for the the vast majority of gun violence in Chicago

What he's saying is nothing new. Ask any cop in any town small or large, and he will tell you the exact same thing.

Work the problem. Don't finger point and don't detract. You know where and who the problem is. Work the problem.

As an aside, I feel terrible for all the innocent lives that have been lost, and all the innocents who live in fear as a way of life. To fear for your children while they play outside, to fear for your children while they sit on their bed doing homework. It's unimaginable.
The majority of gun violence is concentrated in 5 out of 25 Chicago Police Districts.

The state, not the city, controls sentencing and parole.

Sentencing and parole standards are substantially tougher in NY state, thus NYC, than Illinois, thus Chicago.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:21 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
To put this in perspective, Detroit had 107 homicides in all of 2015.

And this is by no means a "Detroit isn't so bad" post- because 107 homicides in a year is bad, but 90 in a month? Holy ....

The political question to be had from this, and don't get me wrong - I'm still forming my opinion on this myself - is this caused by single-party political corruption leading to a situation where underlying issues are not appropriately addressed in favor of serving personal interests, or is this something at a more basic level? Is this the effect of poverty and ineffective, but well intended, policy which has failed to help lift people out of this?

Hmm yep Black Lives matter really worked. Lets unleash the the persecuted to follow their self determination.

Chicago's 2014 murder total on track for another low, but shootings rise | Homicide Watch Chicago | Mark every death. Remember every victim. Follow every case.
Chicago Police reported 390 murders through Dec. 20, while the Cook County medical examiner’s office reported 410 homicides, including 16 fatal police shootings, during the same period. There have been at least 10 additional homicides and one fatal police shooting since then.

So it made another low which seems to mean what was being done before BLM was working.

It will blow past 500 this week end. So that's perhaps 2-3 criminals saved from excessive force at the cost of 50 victims for every 1 aspiring gang banging rapper saved by being woke. Many of these people are innocent by standards and children, not life long criminal resisting arrest. . Good job man.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:34 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So, are trying to make an excuse for them?

And hey I know that if I go outside without a coat and it's 0 degrees out, I might shiver.

I didn't need a "study" to come to that conclusion.
Your post is a bit unclear. However, I guess it would be safe to assume that you are not a 'big believer' in Science, and you probably wonder why lead was removed from paint and gasoline, for you are smart enough to wear a coat when it is cold outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies