Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 09:20 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,364,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Interesting story

I disapprove..and it is our department policy that tattoos shall not be visible to the public..and as such this officer would be required to wear long sleeves on duty here in California...
He a bicycle cop, the long sleeves and heat would hurt him

Old 09-03-2016, 09:20 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,075,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You'd be concerned about someones decision making because they have a tat? Successful people don't have them right? I'm more concerned about your decision making process.

It's not about the tat, it's about the actions of the individual.

Using the body as a canvas begs the question... Look at me..I have something I want ..need..or must show others about my life journey...the thing is..others don't have to get in that train...and most Americans wont

Wow I'm shocked the most racist organization in America basing a decision on appearance.
Attitudes are changing in society all the time

People know intrinsically what professional uniform demeanor is

Police unions are already fighting policies of covering tattoos as younger officers who are inked are vying for jobs

Having a tat is one thing..sleeving..that's another..how about the neck.. face.. eyelids..knuckles.. where does it start and stop as to acceptability? Anything goes? How about "meet this" tattooed on his knuckles..would that be overt enough to cause you concern..it would me..he would fail out in tbe background long before he got anywhere further

Yakuza covering as a statement is also fine... When that statement goes into public and represents many then it needs to be compliant with the group at large

Tattoos are disgusting to me personally.. unhealthy piercing of the body

Others do not have to accept a person's life choices when it comes to employment

In this case now the department is drawn into some public relations debacle with some ******* muffin..a waste of heartbeats

Every department has language.. do not bring yourself under undue public scrutiny for personal choices..

Cover up

Your bias tells a lot about about your response

Think about it.. unemotionally..in a business sense.

You want sleepy all inked out representing your business to the general public... Probably not..unless you cater to a crowd that celebrates ink.

The general population..and providing public service is also very different... We need to be neat..not slovenly..professional..businesslike ..friendly.. approachable.. anything that detracts from that detracts from providing service..which is why we are there... We aren't there to say..accept my life choice to color myself with some overt statement

You all know examples of some fat out of shape arrogant donut holer..heck..I can't stand them for one second...

Teaching public safety at the community college one of the first things taught is that decisions have consequences ..every single one

Even the military makes you cover up... And a tat may prevent you from even getting in

Be smart ... A choice may be the difference between you and the next person from getting a job.. getting a promotion..or just getting by even talking to a victim

My bias..most tats I know are more than drunk ink on tdy somewhere... They represent a life struggle with prison..drugs..or mental illness

I always love the ones of numerous girlfriends crossed out

Now..that's a statement...and you showed them
Not

By the way..my opinion..real men wear honor and pride in their heart and not on their "sleeves"

Last edited by notmeofficer; 09-03-2016 at 09:33 AM..

Old 09-03-2016, 09:25 AM

58,749 posts, read 27,092,933 times
Quote:
Interesting story

I disapprove..and it is our department policy that tattoos shall not be visible to the public..and as such this officer would be required to wear long sleeves on duty here in California...

And for good reason... A police officer serves all people and overt symbols prominently displayed could be offensive to the public... And we work for the public... Under the most personal circumstances

Department policy fail here...

He might still get hired here but someone would advise him of policy beforehand so he could make the decision as to whether to accept a job or not

Knowing what I know about tattoos I don't want to deal with anyone all sleeved up...my personal bias is they are disgusting...and after all the dead bodies I have seen with them all bled together I find no art in it... I would probably fail him on his oral board unless he could really verbalize why he choose to responsibly use his body in such a manner..I would be concerned about his other decision making processes

Life choices have consequences

Being a policeman means you DO have to fit in with all people...
" and overt symbols prominently displayed could be offensive to the public.."

You do not have the right to not be offended by the free speech of others.....

Old 09-03-2016, 09:26 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,066,735 times
I want my local police looking clean-cut and straight arrow. Not tatted up like outlaw bikers and ex-cons. Tattoos should be prohibited for law enforcement officers.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:26 AM

12,268 posts, read 6,442,637 times
Quote:
Attitudes are changing in society all the time

People know intrinsically what professional uniform demeanor is

Police unions are already fighting policies of covering tattoos as younger officers who are inked arevying for jobs

Having a tat is one thing..sleeving..that's another..how about the neck.. face.. eyelids..knuckles.. where does it start and stop as to acceptability? Anything goes?

Yakuza covering as a statement is also fine... When that statement goes into public and represents many then it needs to be compliant with the group at large

Tattoos are disgusting to me personally.. unhealthy piercing of the body

Others do not have to accept a person's life choices when it comes to employment

In this case now the department is drawn into some public relations debacle with some ******* muffin..a waste of heartbeats

Every department has language.. do not bring yourself under undue public scrutiny for personal choices..

Cover up

Your bias tells a lot about about your response

Think about it.. unemotionally..in a business sense.

You want sleepy all inked out representing your business to the general public... Probably not..unless you cater to a crowd that celebrates ink.

The general population..and providing public service is also very different... We need to be neat..not slovenly..professional..businesslike ..friendly.. approachable.. anything that detracts from that detracts from providing service..which is why we are there... We aren't there to say..accept my life choice to be color myself with some overt statement

You all know examples of some fat out of shape arrogant donut holer..heck..I can't stand them for one second...

Teaching public safety at the community college one of the first things taught is that decisions have consequences ..every single one

Even the military makes you cover up... And a tat may prevent you from even getting in

Be smart ... A choice may be the difference between you and the next person from getting a job.. getting a promotion..or just getting by even talking to a victim

My bias..most tats I know are more than drunk ink on tdy somewhere... They represent a life struggle with prison..drugs..or mental illness

I always love the ones of numerous girlfriends crossed out

Now..that's a statement...and you showed them
Not
When I see a person with neck tattoos I believe the person was either in prison or he`s preparing for prison.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:34 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,075,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" and overt symbols prominently displayed could be offensive to the public.."

You do not have the right to not be offended by the free speech of others.....
I also have the right not to employ you

Enough said?

Old 09-03-2016, 09:38 AM

39,044 posts, read 27,468,646 times
Back to the topic, this woman has several big tattoos and one nose ring, what would she feel if people make assumption about her and her life?

This officer has a Father land German heritage tattoo, all of sudden, he is a Nazi. Seriously?

Old 09-03-2016, 09:48 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,578,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Philly Cop and Marine Vet Victimized By Left Wing Witch Hunt - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children

Ignorant cultural marxists. Oops. I repeated myself there...ignorant/cultural marxist...same thing etc. I hope he sues for defamation.
I can easily sympathize with the officer here. As a Civil War reenact or, I've been scorified as a racist myself, because my unit portrays a Confederate company. Left wing SJWs, here on CD, have tried to discredit me because of a picture on my profile of my son carrying the Battle Flag on his horse. The image was taken during a practice drill for an upcoming parade and battle reenactment. Its been brought up a few times, on here, and its more than just annoying.

As if I'm some raving lunatic Klansman, raising my son as a racist. These drum circle, dread locked, the died morons put an "offensive" context on every historical image they possibly can. As stated in the article, what inferences could we read into this woman's own tattoos? Sheesh, one can interpret anything they choose to. I find it hard to swallow that any police officer would display a tattoo with actual Nazi symbolism. Not and hope to keep their job. No, this cop is not a Nazi, any more than my son was heading to a cross burning on the drill field that day.

That said, departmental policy, with most police agencies I've seen, follows military regs, regarding tattoos. That is, they are supposed to be covered. The rule isn't about not offending anyone, so much as to maintain uniformity and decorum. Yes, views on tattoos have softened somewhat of late, and they have become more "mainstream", yet regulations for uniformed personnel remain. For the aforementioned reasons. I can't say I totally disagree with that. Were I in command of some sort of uniformed unit, interacting with the public, I can't say as I'd be OK with displaying heavy tattooing whilst in uniform. Person all statements are fine, but, they really have no place while in uniform, as a public servant. IMHO, anyway.

Aside from misinterpretation of imagery, many people would see it as an intimidation factor. Sort of a shock factor display, as it were. Yes, this whole Nazi bit is pretty silly, and is an attempt at shock factor in its own right, but, the officer should not display his tats thus, while on duty. Discretion IS the greater part of valor, after all.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:28 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,079,043 times
After looking at the picture, I've got to say that I wouldn't want him on my police force. I know bikers who are less inked up than that- and certainly with less intimidating tattoos. Those are politically charged tats. He wants to use his body as a billboard? Wear long sleeves at work.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:35 PM

39,044 posts, read 27,468,646 times
The tattoo on his right arm represents his service to the country as a United States Marine, nothing more /nothing less

The tattoo on his left arm represents his German heritage, nothing more/less

He is wearing a uniform, - nothing wrong with that.

If police department doesn't like big tattoos, hey, change the rules, or give him a chance to laser it off.

No need to call him a racist after taking one look at his tattoo. That is judging others by their appearance, I know every one of us does it, but no need to end other people's career simply because you don't like the way how people look.

That woman who accused him has septum ring, nose ring, several HUGE tattoos, If I started a thread "People with nose rings and tattoos are trash" I bet she would bite my head off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.