U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-15-2009, 09:08 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,973 posts, read 24,918,827 times
Reputation: 15600

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You're not the only state that has those resources.
The northeast has as many resources as Montana.
The Montana residents are the ones who want out, or are you only interested in behaving as petulant children?
Are you asking to be coddled?

Buck up or shut up.
You want out, go.
Really? Most of the Pacwest's water starts guess where? Remember before this state was "found" by the wealthy it's survived without much from outside and could do so again if needed. IMO we have some of the most self reliant people in this country who don't/won't cry (like the latte libs) if they can't get to starbucks or watch MSNBC and dancing with the stars. People here are used to not having much and living well. In fact if you asked most locals they'd be happy to sever the highway connections so no more of the "privileged" latte crowd can enter and after sending the latest round of imports back...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2009, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Orlando
8,268 posts, read 12,098,022 times
Reputation: 4122
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post

If they do I will move there the next day. That's a promise.
Umm I think you forget it would be a foreign country at that point and would require a visa to travel to...
Good luck to them to try to pave those roads that traverse across nothing... with out the federal money I'm thinking they would never see another road built and population of 902,000 can hardly afford the benefit.

guess they can join with Alaska since Palin wants the same for them.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2009, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Earth
24,629 posts, read 26,689,146 times
Reputation: 11373
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Really? Most of the Pacwest's water starts guess where? Remember before this state was "found" by the wealthy it's survived without much from outside and could do so again if needed. IMO we have some of the most self reliant people in this country who don't/won't cry (like the latte libs) if they can't get to starbucks or watch MSNBC and dancing with the stars. People here are used to not having much and living well. In fact if you asked most locals they'd be happy to sever the highway connections so no more of the "privileged" latte crowd can enter and after sending the latest round of imports back...
Have at it.
I want you to be your own country.
Enjoy!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2009, 09:17 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,973 posts, read 24,918,827 times
Reputation: 15600
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Umm I think you forget it would be a foreign country at that point and would require a visa to travel to...
Good luck to them to try to pave those roads that traverse across nothing... with out the federal money I'm thinking they would never see another road built and population of 902,000 can hardly afford the benefit.

guess they can join with Alaska since Palin wants the same for them.
News flash! Maybe y'all don't know but we could really care less about paved roads as evidenced by the fact that over half of our county, in fact I'd bet it's closer to 3/4 of our roads are dirt right now and have been this way since the start.
The only reason we have any push to pave is the influx of people causing dust hence the air quality violations every summer.
So don't think holding some strips of asphalt over our heads will make a difference, it won't.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2009, 09:19 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,973 posts, read 24,918,827 times
Reputation: 15600
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Have at it.
I want you to be your own country.
Enjoy!
From your lips to budda's ears....ohhhhhmmmmmmmmmm
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2009, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Earth
24,629 posts, read 26,689,146 times
Reputation: 11373
So, just go.
Why do you keep trying to justify whatever it is you're trying to justify.
Just go.
No one really seems to be fighting to keep you.
What's your argument?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2009, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Arkansas
125 posts, read 197,171 times
Reputation: 92
It used to be government of, for and by the PEOPLE, now it is government of, for and by the government!
I applaud Montana's idea.
There always has to be the first one to do anything and I am sure that if they secede, there sill be others that go with them because I am of the mind that most normal,( non-politician), people are fed up with this government.
I agree with kant lock me in, if the state of Montana or any other one would secede, I would think very seriously of moving my small business to that state and relish in the freedom.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2009, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,649,535 times
Reputation: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Really? Most of the Pacwest's water starts guess where? Remember before this state was "found" by the wealthy it's survived without much from outside and could do so again if needed. IMO we have some of the most self reliant people in this country who don't/won't cry (like the latte libs) if they can't get to starbucks or watch MSNBC and dancing with the stars. People here are used to not having much and living well. In fact if you asked most locals they'd be happy to sever the highway connections so no more of the "privileged" latte crowd can enter and after sending the latest round of imports back...
You seem to think the latte crowd is even going to notice if Montana leave the Union. They won't. Nobody more that two states away really cares. Get over it. Montana isn't that important.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2009, 10:34 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
16,993 posts, read 13,728,579 times
Reputation: 15702
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
You seem to think the latte crowd is even going to notice if Montana leave the Union. They won't. Nobody more that two states away really cares. Get over it. Montana isn't that important.
LMFAO. Yep, and if DC were to suddenly fall into the Atlantic or get hit by an asteroid or something cool like that most of we Western states wouldn't notice much either Fluffy. Minus CA most of the West would have a BBQ and crack a jug. You way overestimate your own importance in your precious "seat of power". You may find the way we live out here to be beneath a "civilized" and "educated" () person such as yourself, but that don't matter much in the big pic. The more we deal with all the "enlightened" urban crowd ( of which you are a prime examplle) the more we like our horses. As goes Montana, lol, so goes the rest of the REAL West. It would be more "noticable" than you think.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2009, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Earth
24,629 posts, read 26,689,146 times
Reputation: 11373
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymmud123 View Post
It used to be government of, for and by the PEOPLE, now it is government of, for and by the government!
I applaud Montana's idea.
There always has to be the first one to do anything and I am sure that if they secede, there sill be others that go with them because I am of the mind that most normal,( non-politician), people are fed up with this government.
I agree with kant lock me in, if the state of Montana or any other one would secede, I would think very seriously of moving my small business to that state and relish in the freedom.
Who are you going to sell your products to? The "buy American" people wouldn't be using your services, you'd be emigrating to another "country" and be subject to their tax structure and immigration regulations.
Remember, you have relinquished all relations with the USA.

The government of Montana would have to increase it's "governance" to take care of all things your population will require: education, medical, colleges, any infrastructure, your own constitution, laws, religious differences, etc.

I think it would be an interesting experiment, I'd like to see it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top