U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 06:38 PM

7,922 posts, read 13,793,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Montana passed no such legislation. It was one politician shooting off his big mouth looking for face time on TV.
Actually, over 40 Montana legislators signed onto the resolution in question.

Also, see this: Secession in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 06:43 PM

7,922 posts, read 13,793,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Well thank you sir. I've obviously vastly underestimated the level of support for this issue in Montana. By my count that's 41/150 state senators and representatives together with the secretary of state and Montana's Congressional Representative.

I think that still leaves your side well short of an ability to pass legislation doesn't it?
44 in all. But that's before anyone actually consulted the Will of the People -- you know, that weird concept that our elected representatives are supposed to, uh, represent?? I think you'd see more than 44 signing on once the People knew what's going on and started voicing their Will, which at the time, most didn't. (Evidently most still don't.)

Old 03-18-2009, 07:20 PM

5,915 posts, read 7,627,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
44 in all. But that's before anyone actually consulted the Will of the People -- you know, that weird concept that our elected representatives are supposed to, uh, represent?? I think you'd see more than 44 signing on once the People knew what's going on and started voicing their Will, which at the time, most didn't. (Evidently most still don't.)
I'll wait to see the will of the Montana people.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:20 PM

40,051 posts, read 32,439,676 times
Quote:
But you'd have to think that if this was such an all-fired big deal, those 44 legislators would be traveling all through the state, bringing their message to the people--whose Will has a key role to play, as you noted. On the other hand, if this whole thing is getting more publicity here on C-D than it is in real life, that could conceivably help to explain why Montana hasn't started edging away from the rest of the United States.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:09 PM

435 posts, read 579,019 times
You can put Texas on that list of leaving the Union if they take our guns away and we aint no little montana.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:04 PM

22,973 posts, read 24,789,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
But you'd have to think that if this was such an all-fired big deal, those 44 legislators would be traveling all through the state, bringing their message to the people--whose Will has a key role to play, as you noted. On the other hand, if this whole thing is getting more publicity here on C-D than it is in real life, that could conceivably help to explain why Montana hasn't started edging away from the rest of the United States.
First off they're in session at the moment so a tad bit busy.
Second, the general public here are hearing more and more everyday and from the many I've talked to are NOT happy at all so you may be hearing the will of the Montana people soon enough.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:26 PM

3,043 posts, read 10,976,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Yes, landlocked Montana, with its vibrant and diversified economy, is going to secede from the United States and go it alone.
If things in this country reach the point where this is actually a serious matter, Montana won't be going at it alone. Many of those in the western U. S. feel the exact same way and would take the position Montana is proposing. I'm certain there are quite a few in the eastern half of the country that would, too.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
But that's exactly what freedom from religion is. You can do your thing on streetcorners all you want; if I'm offended by it, too bad for me, it's a public place and everyone has the right to be there. But you can't grab me by the ear and force me to listen. And when your religion becomes the basis for laws that affect me, then I've lost my freedom from your religion.
I agree with you in that the nation's laws should not result strictly from a religious viewpoint. A law could be written in such a way that it is in agreement with a religious viewpoint, while not being directly based on it. Laws prohibiting theft and murder are in God's Ten Commandments. They are also crimes against other people, which is why we should have laws against such things, not because they are in the Bible.

The simple fact of the matter is that your protected freedom ceases to exist when it infringes upon another's protected freedom. That is why you can't take something belonging to your neighbor and call it your own. The fact that the Bible says the same thing is irrelevant.

I agree with you in that if I force you to listen to my religious teaching, I am infringing upon your right to free exercise of religion.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I support your right to pray anywhere you like, but not use it for the purpose of disrupting the business at hand. I also ask you not to be a christia cloud who pulled the equivalent of parading an effigy of a black man on a noose in a funeral procession in Alabama.
I agree with you in these points. In each, you cite an example of one individual or group violating the freedoms of another individual or group. In the first case, by disrupting business practices, and in the second case, by creating hostility towards others by implied threat.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:15 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,364,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Unless Montana has a militia that can take on the US Army and US Air Force I'd say it's a moot point.

But it is some good old fashioned stir up the people politicking.
you really think that the army and air force would support this president? Good luck with that. They would invade, then have beers with them.

Seriously, if something like this happened, I could see an overthrow of the federal gov't with the army and airforce leading the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies