U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 01:25 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,099,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Yes, but would paintball guns still necessitate secession?
Ahhhh... I'd say It'd happen MUCH sooner before things came to the level of a paint ball gun...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 01:27 PM

16,651 posts, read 13,529,722 times
There have been many takes on the legallity and basis for a state calling for secession. The Confederacy had a Constitutional basis for their stance, and a bloody war was fought over it. The threat of a Federal hacking up of the Bill of Rights is certainly a Constitutional basis for leaving the Union. IF Montana actually does ratify a measure mandating leaving the Union over gun rights it is going to be interesting to see the Feds reaction. And that of other Western states. It could be the beginnings of an actual organized rebellion of sorts. If the Feds roll troops there or call on the mighty UN for help in such a scenerio, thats tossing kerosene on a fire. many will say that this just CAN"T happen, but nothing seems beyond the realm of reason to me anymore. These are different times we live in.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:30 PM

11,838 posts, read 26,666,497 times
Well Congress just lit the fuse with this bailout bonus nonsense.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Well Congress just lit the fuse with this bailout bonus nonsense.
Quite, we can add good ol' taxation without representation to the list of grievances for redress. If enough people would just get together and organize a solid petition, make enough noise and get the fact that We the People are getting a bit disgruntled they might just HAVE to listen. Either listen or try and squash the dissent, either way we have a course of action and a clear goal. It seems more and more that the only way the clowns in DC are going to wake up is if a BIG noise gets made and the citizens of this country actually get together, quit bickering about blue and red states, and utilize our Constitutional right to rein in the Federal government. Montana has the right idea. Regardless of how one feels about their stance, they got noticed. If a bunch of other states follow suit, and we all start shaking our fists at the boys in DC they may get the picture that it's time to get this country back on track. We ARE a UNION are we not? That implies a group of entities, cooperating for the common good. So perhaps it's time that the power of that Union be brought into play, and let the Feds know where the REAL power is. Or where it's supposed to be anyway. Instead of leaving the Union, perhaps it's time to stengthen the Union.. Now theres a thought.............

Old 03-19-2009, 02:06 PM

7,907 posts, read 13,749,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
There have been many takes on the legallity and basis for a state calling for secession. The Confederacy had a Constitutional basis for their stance, and a bloody war was fought over it. The threat of a Federal hacking up of the Bill of Rights is certainly a Constitutional basis for leaving the Union. IF Montana actually does ratify a measure mandating leaving the Union over gun rights it is going to be interesting to see the Feds reaction. And that of other Western states. It could be the beginnings of an actual organized rebellion of sorts. If the Feds roll troops there or call on the mighty UN for help in such a scenerio, thats tossing kerosene on a fire. many will say that this just CAN"T happen, but nothing seems beyond the realm of reason to me anymore. These are different times we live in.
States' rights are supposed to trump federal rights.

As to poor little Montana being all on its lonesome like a babe lost in the woods... I think more likely we'd wind up having to be selective about which states are ALLOWED to join us. (Do you really want Colorado, what with the direction its been going??)

It would be all the more interesting if Alberta decided to join us, which isn't out of the realm of possibility. The provincial premier has told Ottawa where to shove their nonsense (in literally so many words) a time or two already. Note: Alberta, last I checked, was the only Canadian province running in the black, in part because they ignore expensive and baseless mandates that come down from Ottawa.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:16 PM

5,915 posts, read 7,620,305 times
LOL. You got 41 wack job state legislators who signed a document. Let me know when there's a bill that passes either house.

There's a story, probably urban lkegend, that the State of Arkansas passes a resolution changing Pi to 3.00 State legislatures often provide us with comic relief.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:19 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,891,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post

As to poor little Montana being all on its lonesome like a babe lost in the woods... I think more likely we'd wind up having to be selective about which states are ALLOWED to join us. (Do you really want Colorado, what with the direction its been going??)

It would be all the more interesting if Alberta decided to join us, which isn't out of the realm of possibility. The provincial premier has told Ottawa where to shove their nonsense (in literally so many words) a time or two already. Note: Alberta, last I checked, was the only Canadian province running in the black, in part because they ignore expensive and baseless mandates that come down from Ottawa.
Colorado might seem to be sliding to the left, but it is the most densely populated areas that are doing so. We are still fiercely independent, and would protect our constitution of the united states if called to do so. (although there are people in Boulder and Denver that would just do what they have always done and sit on their rears and do nothing.)

Old 03-19-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post

Many Western states, (including my own) have urban areas that are not indicitave of the state as a whole. Colorado is no exeption. Comparing the whole state of Colorado to Denver or Aspen is like saying Vegas is what Nevada is all about. . Lol, we don't care for Vegas type politics much up here where I live. (Harry Reid in particular) CA even has quite a few decent folks in the Northern rural areas of the state. If it turns out that these folks took control of those parts of the state, leaving them out of some type of "new Union" would be...unwise.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:09 PM

5,915 posts, read 7,620,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Many Western states, (including my own) have urban areas that are not indicitave of the state as a whole. Colorado is no exeption. Comparing the whole state of Colorado to Denver or Aspen is like saying Vegas is what Nevada is all about. . Lol, we don't care for Vegas type politics much up here where I live. (Harry Reid in particular) CA even has quite a few decent folks in the Northern rural areas of the state. If it turns out that these folks took control of those parts of the state, leaving them out of some type of "new Union" would be...unwise.
LOL Las Vegas is about 80% of the state. I suspect they tell people that those who live in the rural areas aren't representative of the state.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:10 PM

25,106 posts, read 37,042,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Las Vegas is about 80% of the state. I suspect they tell people that those who live in the rural areas aren't representative of the state.
Nope.

And once again, you speak with lack of knowledge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies