Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 09:58 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Well, since they were DESIGNED for people with mobility issues who need EXTRA ROOM to get in and out of their car with a wheelchair...or crutches, or a walker...the yes
They were designed to include those needing extra room, that doesn't mean those spaces are meant to be exclusively used by people requiring extra room. Your thinking is flawed.

The spaces are intended for use by anyone who has a medical condition requiring them to park closer to their destination, whether it means they have COPD, an inability to walk for extended periods, or are in a wheelchair.

As long as they have a legal placard or handicapped license plate, that's all they need to park in those spaces, and that's all we should concern ourselves with. WHAT their medical condition is allowing them such access, is none of our damn business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 10:10 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
If people can't see you are disabled then you aren't disabled.
This comment from someone on FB is a perfect response to your statement.

Quote:
Invisible disabilities are no less real than visible ones!

I have my handicap license plate. I parked and got out of the car, I had this lady say to me, "well, you look perfectly normal to me!", as I turned to look at her, I crossed my eyes and said, very seriously, "maybe that's part of the problem, you can't see what's lurking under my shell." The look on her face was priceless! Just because YOU can't SEE it doesn't mean it doesn't exist! Until you have walked in our shoes and have felt the pain we feel, keep your cruel comments and opinions to yourself. Ignorant people can be so cruel!! I'm posting to stop people from mocking and laughing at people for things beyond their control... Not one of my Facebook friends will copy and paste (but I am counting on a true family member or friend to do it). If you would be there no matter what then copy and paste this. I'm doing this to prove a friend wrong that someone is always listening. I care. Hard to explain to someone who has no clue. It's a daily struggle being in pain or feeling sick on the inside while you look fine on the outside. Please put this as your status for at least 1 hour if you or someone you know has an invisible illness (IBS, Crohn's, PTSD, Anxiety, Arthritis, Cancer, Heart Disease, Bipolar, Depression, Diabetes, Lupus, Fibromyalgia, MS, AS, ME, , Epilepsy, hereditary angioedema , Migraines, Hashimotos, AUTISM, Borderline personality disorder, M.D.,D.D.D., CFS, Histiocytosis, O.D.D, A.D.H.D, RSD, RA (rheumatoid arthritis ) PBC,RLS ,COPD etc.) Never judge.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:15 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Some disabilities are not apparent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
The lack of consideration for others is abundantly apparent in this World.
News flash:

Both of these statements can be true.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:07 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Have you ever confronted them about your concerns over their choice of food? My guess would be no.
Its dangerous to get between wild animals and their food.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Cool story bro.

I've hardly ever seen anyone parked in a handicapped spot without a placard in my life. Most of the time, those spots sit empty.

And like the previous responder said, just because somebody has a qualifying disability does not mean it's always readily apparent.
I see it all the time here.

Both of my parents are disabled, my mother in particular, and every time I take her somewhere I see some butthole parked in a handicapped spot without a placard or special plate.

Every time.

Every.

Time.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:08 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Classy response. My guess was accurate.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post

My supermarket has an entrance sign saying that state law prohibits animals from entering the store.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:30 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I see it all the time here.

Both of my parents are disabled, my mother in particular, and every time I take her somewhere I see some butthole parked in a handicapped spot without a placard or special plate.

Every time.

Every.

Time.

I'll bet you most of those who appear to be parking without a place card or special plate are elderly people who just forget to display their cards when they park. I see THAT all the time. I'll bet even your parents are subject to forget once in a while.

And just in case you come back with, "Then they should get the special license plate instead of using a hang tag" if they are forgetful, let me add that many disabled people don't feel safe driving around displaying the fact that they are vulnerable citizens.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:59 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I'll bet you most of those who appear to be parking without a place card or special plate are elderly people who just forget to display their cards when they park. I see THAT all the time. I'll bet even your parents are subject to forget once in a while.

And just in case you come back with, "Then they should get the special license plate instead of using a hang tag" if they are forgetful, let me add that many disabled people don't feel safe driving around displaying the fact that they are vulnerable citizens.
Good point.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:01 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post

While that's possible, in my experience that has never been the case when I've witnessed the parking scofflaw leaving or returning to their car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies