Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 07:56 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
If they have COPD and CHF and can walk around a mall and inside stores, then they can park where everyone else parks.

That, along with fatties calling themselves "disabled," is the point.
Many can't walk around the inside of the store, so they get a riding cart when they get in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 11:41 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many can't walk around the inside of the store, so they get a riding cart when they get in there.
What about those who actually need it, but cant because lazy people use it for fun?

Old 09-06-2016, 04:29 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
I am one of those despised "fatties". I was thin and fit even with JRA and SLE and all of the steroids because I could exercise and lose the added weight that comes with the steroids. After my first stroke at 29 and a fall during rehab when I ended up with an incomplete T-12 spinal injury I was left in a wheelchair.

I still did well even though it was hard with both legs and an arm not working, but after years of pushing an manual chair my hands, wrists and shoulders are shredded and I moved to a powerchair and the weight piled on. So, I am fat. Despite being so heinous to unknown people my family somehow still manages to love me. My husband of almost 30 years (although we have been together more than 30 years) still loves me. He is happy that I am still alive. He holds me and wipes away my tears after I hear the sneering comments of complete strangers when we are in public. There is so much hate and contempt from people who simply have no idea how hard it is for me just to stay alive; how many weeks and months I spend in hospitals and how much searing pain I am in every moment of every day.

I also love when people say that I can't actually be disabled because of our main vehicle. It is a Ford F-150 and is pretty high. My chair is lifted into the bed by a tommy gate and I don't have to struggle into the cab because I have a seat that extends out and descends and ascends. We didn't want the whole handicapped van route; I rarely go out so my DH wanted something that he actually enjoys driving.

People should worry about themselves and their families and leave strangers alone. I am fat, disabled and have a vehicle that "you" don't think I should have. "You" are not my husband or one of my Doctors. If you cannot stand my disgustingly fat body then DON'T LOOK and mind your own business!

Old 09-06-2016, 05:19 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The vast majority of people do not abuse the handicap parking spaces. Those who do have to live with their selfishness and/or get reported for not having a place card or license tab. A great many disabilities that qualify for those parking permits do not have obvious disabilities, so stuff your jealously where the sun don't shine and quit trying to practice medicine in a parking lot.

My husband was right side paralyzed for many years so I've done my share of looking for and using handicapped parking spaces. Certain times of the day they get filled up quickly. Once we were chewed out because the person thought that if you used a wheelchair and was being pushed, that even that didn't qualify to park closer to the building! Some people are just petty, jealous people who don't want anyone to have a perceived privilege they can't have.
Agree with the bolded statement. I help out my disabled Mom, who lives in another state, frequently. If I'm alone driving her car to shop or run an errand for her, I don't park in a handicap parking space even though her car has both a handicap mirror placard and license plate. I don't need to use a handicap parking space, while others most certainly do.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:24 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Some people apparently have so much time on their hands that they have nothing better to do than look for perceived injustices.

This includes, but is not limited to:
Handicapped placard envy.
Observance of what people on SNAP have in their shopping carts.

Neither is any of your business.

In other words, folks, get a freaking life.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:53 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
I realize some disabilities are not apparent but I notice quite a few 20-30 year olds, with three kids, jumping out of their cars, with a handicap sticker. I have a handicap sticker as my spouse has RA but many times the handicap parking spaces are taken by young people with no apparent problem. I believe many of them got them from a parent or grandparent who they probably live with.

Many times I drop my spouse off at the door and park in a regular space, picking her up when we are done.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:06 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Some people apparently have so much time on their hands that they have nothing better to do than look for perceived injustices.

This includes, but is not limited to:
Handicapped placard envy.
Observance of what people on SNAP have in their shopping carts.

Neither is any of your business.

In other words, folks, get a freaking life.
The food SNAP parasites have in their carts is my business since I am helping foot the bill.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:14 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,167,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
We just came back from a week at Disney World. In the parks, I was shocked at the number of what I perceived as fat, lazy people riding around in electric scooters. They seemed fine when it was time to move into the rides and did so with no difficulty or hesitation, and always took full advantage of moving through the wait lines faster.

I saw one little girl in a wheelchair being sponsored by Make-A-Wish and it broke my heart to think of how many were trying to get the same accommodations as her while they had none of the problems she's dealing with.
I went to Disney in 2014, like you I was floored at the number of electric scooters. There were so many of them parked, you could maneuver around them. That was my 4th time at the park, and it wasnt like that before. As a nation, we are definitely becoming bigger and more out of shape. My previous visit to the park was 2012, so I was amazed at the difference.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:42 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
The food SNAP parasites have in their carts is my business since I am helping foot the bill.
Have you ever confronted them about your concerns over their choice of food? My guess would be no.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i have no problem at all about handicap using handicap parking, none at all. what gets me is the family member who thinks its a right for reserved parking when grandma is still at the house. i saw handicap tag on a harley. he can hold up a 700 pound bike but cant walk twenty feet to the store, hell motorcycle parking is usually closer than handicap
I never did get the motorcycle with a handicap plate and I used to ride. I could see it for a "trike" but not a two wheeler given you have to pick it up off the kick stand etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies