Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 02:39 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Greedy CEO's strike again.
...because money grows on trees, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 02:44 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You really need to go back and read the OP's article, the local news source, San Bernardino News indicated they gave 60 days notice, the remainder is typical Breitbart nonsense blaming the move on the $15 minimum wage and climate change legislation. It's laughable that the people actually believe that they moved because of the $15 minimum wage, did you even realize it won't be $15 until 2022??

Breibart blows the dog whistle and that's all they need. Yes fact s are in short supply.
I did, did you? You blame a link but yet refuse to acknowledge what the local paper says....

And yes, cause the dog whistle provides good news...just like "I was taking sniper fire" and oh, I was named after sir hillary......

Old 09-06-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Correction! I looked up my wage on a GM truck line in the summer of 1978, it was over $12/hr! That was in 1978. Look how far we have fallen since then. We are now arguing about whether factory workers should be pain $15/hr 38 years later!

Think about that all of you who have no problem with the exorbitant salaries of CEOs https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...erage_slub.png and the poverty wages of laborers. No wonder the poverty rate has risen. http://www.heritage.org/~/media/info...art-6-825.ashx

You still fail to realize that ashley is above median wage in CA.......because people live outside their own means...is not my problem, nor yours....

Old 09-06-2016, 02:48 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
No issue with getting money out of politics, I am all for it. The fact remains that Soros is as bad or worse than the Koch brothers.
The progressive hero Bernie Sanders has sold out to Hillary. That hero by the way was a train wreck before public office and as an elected rep really hasn't achieved much.
The problem with progressives for me is they don't stop at the 1%. How has the ACA helped me and my group?
Romneycare/Obamacare at least made sure people no longer could be denied treatment because of pre-existing conditions and there are no lifetime caps on payments any more. So you no longer have to worry about whether you will get treated if you get cancer and whether the company will cut you off after $500 000 in expenses incurred by you or simply deny treatment to you outright.

Its ridiculous that the minimum wage was higher in the late 1960s than it is today. You can read about the facts on minimum wage here: https://www.dol.gov/featured/minimum-wage/mythbuster

Old 09-06-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You mean that someone who works an honest job full time is living outside their means if they need: a roof over their heads, healthcare, food, clothing, and a means of transportation?

$7.25/hr = $15080/year before deductions such as health insurance, FICA
If your between the ages of 16 and 19, yes...

Old 09-06-2016, 02:49 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Its not the progressives that pushed for 21 year legal limit for alcohol purchase, banning online gambling and banning gay marriage. This is the social issues, family values right wingers.

I don't think those are purely social issue nor do you have to be a family values right wing. I'm not saying the government can't consider significant social issues. I'm talking about how progressives insert their pseudo-science and pseudo-religion in government applied to personal individuals-equality, egalitarianism, relativism, equal outcomes etc.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:50 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I did, did you? You blame a link but yet refuse to acknowledge what the local paper says....

And yes, cause the dog whistle provides good news...just like "I was taking sniper fire" and oh, I was named after sir hillary......
If you actually read the article you would know that Breitbart threw in the issue regarding the $15 min wage not the local paper.

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Dealt with them for a long-time, despite their dwindling influence. Today around 6.8% of private sector is unionized. Close to 35% were unionized 50 years ago.
Your information is out of date. According to the US Department of Labor statistics the number of unionized labor in 2015 was 11.1% ... that almost double of your allegation.

Unions seem to be on the upswing again. One union, SEIU, already has 1.9 million members.

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
CEO's get more wealth and workers get the shaft. Get to hire new workers who will be worked like slaves with no benefits,low wages and long hours. Thanks for giving me another store I WON'T be using to furnish our new home in October!

“We cannot let companies like Ashley bleed the American dream,” Naja said. “It’s not only the employees, but the families, the kids, the wives. They’ve got wives with medical situations and things like that. There’s no way a huge company like Ashley’s can shut down the doors.”

Another former employee, Juan Zuniga, 36, said he is the only breadwinner for his family, with three kids.

“I feel sorry for every single one of our family,” Zuniga said. “This is my family. I’ve been here more than in my home. I’ve spent 10 to 12 hours working in there.”

Roselia Serrano, 40, of Colton, also is the sole income provider for her family with two teenagers. She said Friday was the first time the workers were informed of the layoffs.

“Right now, I’m in shock. My head is spinning and I don’t know what’s going to be my next step,” Serrano said. “I know we have to look for another job.”

Zuniga said he and other workers are organizing a Labor Day protest in front of the store.

“We’re going to be here making a protest and we’re calling everybody that can come to please support us and find out what they did to us,” Zuniga said. “Come and support all the hard-working employees and parents that take income to their house. I’m the only one supporting my family. I’m the only one paying a mortgage.”
Nobody ever said life was easy. I've been laid off a few times in my life. I got off my butt and found a new job. I got on the phone and started calling companies directly. Guess what? It worked!

Old 09-06-2016, 02:58 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Oh but its the very LIE they are trying to claim. They want to claim because of the 15$ min wage its why the company is closing in California when if that was the case the CEO making MILLIONS would have already bankrupted them. Its a lie to pin the problem on the working man and woman that wants to be able to provide for their family.
When you go to college and come out with a degree in business, then you might be able to argue effectively. As it is, you're just flapping your gums about things you know nothing about. If you knew anything at all about business, you might understand why CEO's get paid what they do. Besides, it's really none of your damn business or anybody else's what the Ashley CEO makes, except perhaps the stock holders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies