Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 05:27 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,595,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
It's Quite amazing how the GOP / Republican Party that is for "small Government" is trying to defund "Planned Parenthood" by trying to regulate Women's vaginas and upholding a racist flag when states should be voting on that issue.

Amazing that they don't want to be labeled as the party of "intrusive" Government !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 05:34 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,772,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
It's Quite amazing how the GOP / Republican Party that is for "small Government" is trying to defund "Planned Parenthood" by trying to regulate Women's vaginas and upholding a racist flag when states should be voting on that issue.

Amazing that they don't want to be labeled as the party of "intrusive" Government !
There is no Republican party anymore. Republicans love big government just as much as Democrats do. In fact, Republican establishment hates conservationism.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:20 PM

7,476 posts, read 6,224,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
"Believe it or not, the GOP Zika bill reverses the ban on flying the confederate flag at military cemeteries. Really! Idiotic.

— Senator Harry Reid (@SenatorReid) June 28, 2016".

This is hilarious , reid calling something idiotic.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:51 PM

10,199 posts, read 6,277,016 times
This is absurd. What does the Confederate Flag have to do with Zika? Was Zika around in 1863? I think back in those days there were far more dangerous diseases than Zika.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:40 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,909,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I don't get the Dems obsession with PP. It's a private organization that gets federal money. What ever happened to being against corporate wellfare? They should give that money to city health departments. Not that any of this belongs in a Zika discussion to begin with. The mosquitos will all be dead by the time this money actually gets to where it needs to go.
Along with millions of bees and butterflies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
One nation, one flag. Put that rag next to your shotgun in the pickup truck.
Are you going to tell those people who fly the rainbow flag or the Nation of Islam the same thing?

Old 09-08-2016, 03:44 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,723,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
What's stopping you from burning the American flag?

Like General Robert E. Lee?

"Dixiecrats resurrected the "Southern Cross" flag as a political symbol around the time President Harry Truman supported efforts to end lynchings and desegregate the military in 1948. During that same period, the Ku Klux Klan began using the flag more widely."

The first national flag of the Confederate States of America was created in 1861 and had seven stars to represent the breakaway states of South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana and Texas.

The unending controversy would not have surprised Lee himself. It is why he opposed building Confederate memorials in the first place.

In April 1865, after four years of civil war, Lee surrendered the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia and soon afterward accepted the presidency of Washington College in Lexington, Virginia. Letters seeking support for memorial projects received reluctant responses from the general-turned-educator, according to documents at the University of Virginia and the Library of Congress. Lee worried that building memorials so soon after the war would anger the victorious Federals.

"As regards the erection of such a monument as is contemplated, my conviction is, that however grateful it would be to the feelings of the South, the attempt in the present condition of the country would have the effect of retarding, instead of accelerating its accomplishment, and of continuing, if not adding to, the difficulties under which the Southern people labour," he wrote.

...In June 1866, Lee criticized a plan to build a monument to Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, whose fatal wounding at Chancellorsville three years prior had deprived the Army of Northern Virginia of its best corps commander. How could Lee ask war-ravaged families to contribute money for memorials when they lacked funds for food? "I do not think it feasible at this time," he wrote.

As to when the right time would come, later letters suggest Lee thought never. When a Gettysburg memorial association invited Lee to attend a meeting "for the purpose of marking upon the ground by enduring memorials of granite the positions and movements of the armies," Lee declined.

"I think it wiser moreover not to keep open the sores of war, but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavoured to obliterate the marks of civil strife and to commit to oblivion the feelings it engendered," he wrote.

What Robert E. Lee can teach us about Confederate memorials (Opinion) - CNN.com

General Lee was wise in his comments, why don't folks in the present day heed his advice?
Now don't go using a bunch of logic and history on them. You know they don't like that, as evidenced by the comments in this thread. Shame on you...shame I say!

Old 09-08-2016, 03:53 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,991,465 times
Thumbs up Stop all the whining, pouting and crying y'all !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Good. Stop trying to destroy history because you don't like it.
Amen ... I whole heartedly agree ! .... Gross ignorance of factual history has without doubt fueled the latest efforts by the America hating pea brain crew to change the facts to suit there pathetic agenda ! ..... Ole Sgt. Lamar Says So ! ...

Old 09-08-2016, 06:09 PM

1,202 posts, read 639,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
What's stopping you from burning the American flag?

Like General Robert E. Lee?

"Dixiecrats resurrected the "Southern Cross" flag as a political symbol around the time President Harry Truman supported efforts to end lynchings and desegregate the military in 1948. During that same period, the Ku Klux Klan began using the flag more widely."

The first national flag of the Confederate States of America was created in 1861 and had seven stars to represent the breakaway states of South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana and Texas.

The unending controversy would not have surprised Lee himself. It is why he opposed building Confederate memorials in the first place.

In April 1865, after four years of civil war, Lee surrendered the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia and soon afterward accepted the presidency of Washington College in Lexington, Virginia. Letters seeking support for memorial projects received reluctant responses from the general-turned-educator, according to documents at the University of Virginia and the Library of Congress. Lee worried that building memorials so soon after the war would anger the victorious Federals.

"As regards the erection of such a monument as is contemplated, my conviction is, that however grateful it would be to the feelings of the South, the attempt in the present condition of the country would have the effect of retarding, instead of accelerating its accomplishment, and of continuing, if not adding to, the difficulties under which the Southern people labour," he wrote.

...In June 1866, Lee criticized a plan to build a monument to Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, whose fatal wounding at Chancellorsville three years prior had deprived the Army of Northern Virginia of its best corps commander. How could Lee ask war-ravaged families to contribute money for memorials when they lacked funds for food? "I do not think it feasible at this time," he wrote.

As to when the right time would come, later letters suggest Lee thought never. When a Gettysburg memorial association invited Lee to attend a meeting "for the purpose of marking upon the ground by enduring memorials of granite the positions and movements of the armies," Lee declined.

"I think it wiser moreover not to keep open the sores of war, but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavoured to obliterate the marks of civil strife and to commit to oblivion the feelings it engendered," he wrote.

What Robert E. Lee can teach us about Confederate memorials (Opinion) - CNN.com

General Lee was wise in his comments, why don't folks in the present day heed his advice?
Because I am not like the American ISIS,I don't need to burn any flag to prove my point I just don't fly it,stand for it,salute it etc.

1. I don't take anything from CNN to be factual
2.Lee wanted to let bygones be bygones and go back to living among each other as 1 nation
3.He was not a true believer he didn't go with the CSA until his home state went. He didn't see it as an invasion he saw it as being loyal to his state. I will take Forrest ANY DAY over Lee. Lee was an aristocrat my ancestors that fought for the CSA were not aristocrats they were farmers and simple workers. Lee lived a good life after he gave up....I wouldn't call him a traitor but I would call him soft and not of the warrior mentality we need to defeat such an enemy as we faced

Old 09-08-2016, 06:10 PM

1,202 posts, read 639,915 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BJSO3cfXm4

For any true southern man or woman tired of the crap. Songs like this lift me up every day,Also listen to some Rebel Son. The song is 100% right. For every one they burn thousands more rise,our enemies write the history of our people!

Old 09-08-2016, 06:57 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,903,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Because I am not like the American ISIS,I don't need to burn any flag to prove my point I just don't fly it,stand for it,salute it etc.

1. I don't take anything from CNN to be factual
2.Lee wanted to let bygones be bygones and go back to living among each other as 1 nation
3.He was not a true believer he didn't go with the CSA until his home state went. He didn't see it as an invasion he saw it as being loyal to his state. I will take Forrest ANY DAY over Lee. Lee was an aristocrat my ancestors that fought for the CSA were not aristocrats they were farmers and simple workers. Lee lived a good life after he gave up....I wouldn't call him a traitor but I would call him soft and not of the warrior mentality we need to defeat such an enemy as we faced
Although you & I probably would not have much common ground, I do very much appreciate your straightforwardness & honesty.

Hope you don't mind my curiosity? Do you see yourself as an American? Or, as a Confederate-American? Or something other? My interest doesn't stem from a language or labeling perspective but is maybe more like from an identification aspect. How would you describe yourself & what are your aspirations, for example, what would you like to see happen in this Country in the future?

The other, perhaps more even more intrusive question I have relates to this quote from the above article:

Supporters of the Confederate States of America were also very straightforward & honest in expressing their thoughtviews on White Supremacy. Do you, in the present day, share their beliefs re:?

If so, how would your belief system be reconciled with the Civil Rights movement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies