Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of voter ID? Yes or No!
Yes, as Americans have the right to have only eligible voters, vote! 198 91.24%
No! Americans are honest and will not scam the system so no ID is needed. 19 8.76%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 04:38 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I think every 2 years you should be allowed to obtain your birth certificate for free. I think showing your birth certificate an ID to vote should suffice.
Ok so how do we know that someone else isn't holding it or that you are eligible to vote in this district. The birth certificate alone does not answer these questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 04:39 PM

159 posts, read 137,666 times
We don't need anyone voting who can't figure out how to get an id. Its political nonsense to steal votes not that the republicans are any better.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No, your birth certificate cost you $63, not the ID. And that cost you because you lost your previous birth certificate.

Are taxpayers supposed to fund carelessness?
Given that you could need to keep up with the birth certificate for the rest of your life and that the birth certificate was a document that your parents(not you) could have held. I think you are being way unreasonable.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I just showed up to Triple A with my old Drivers ID and they snapped a picture of me then gave me my new Driver's ID
Ah so you can DRIVE and since when does Triple A do Driver's licenses. Hint you got an motor car club card.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychuck View Post
We don't need anyone voting who can't figure out how to get an id. Its political nonsense to steal votes not that the republicans are any better.
Ok, last time I checked ALL AMERICANS HAD A RIGHT TO VOTE!

Old 09-11-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Voter fraud can be VERY hard to detect-however, that doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't exist. While I personally believe it is fairly rare in most places, no fraud is permissible, zero. Having a valid ID to vote would seem to be reasonable in my opinion and states should cooperate in this as need be. Let me give you an example of how the process works here in NC and perhaps you can explain to me how you (or anyone else), would catch someone voting that shouldn't be. In NC, no ID of any kind is necessary. You go to the precinct, give them your name and address and if you have registered to vote, they hand you a ballot. Simple as that. Now, my next door neighbor, Mildred, is 90 years old and her husband is in a nursing home. They are highly unlikely to vote. Someone could very easily claim to be her or him and nobody would know the difference unless Mildred or her husband decided to vote (unlikely). So how would YOU catch somebody in this circumstance?
There is no reason why Mildred could not vote, if someone would take her and a 90 year old could walk to the polling place if it is close enough. Someone could also pick up her husband from the nursing home or depending on state laws he could receive a mail in ballot at the nursing home or someone could pick up an absentee ballot. Why not do your part to prevent voter fraud by taking her to vote and helping them to vote.

While someone could claim to be her and take her vote, they would risk being spotted if they came in the same voting place twice. They would have to know where she was registered to claim this vote. Maybe someone like you could do it but you wouldn't be able to cast a 2nd vote(Without the risk being spotted and possible arrested).

If someone takes Mildred to vote before the person who wants to commit fraud shows up there will be no registration to use.

If someone takes Mildred after the person who has committed fraud has voted(in my state) she or the elections judges can challenge the vote. She then shows her ID and could be given a provisional ballot which would count and because ballots are tied to the registration we know which votes not to count or remove.

However if you require that she needs ID to vote, after being a good Samaritan and taking her to the polling place you could discover that it has expired or can't find it(could have left her purse at the nursing home that morning)and now you need to take her to the DMV too(assuming it is open).

All to prevent what at most could be 1 fraudulent vote at that polling place. In an election where the margin of victory could be in the hundreds or thousands. In fact to throw an election the amount of fraudulent votes must exceed the margin of victory.

As for his vote. If he has not voted in while his registration would be removed lower the chance that it could be misused(i.e. the crock would have had to have started just after he got put in, not ten years latter). You could also compare the ballots attached to the mail in or absentee to the ones cast in the election and find places where a ballot registered to the same person has been cast more than once.

Last edited by chirack; 09-11-2016 at 06:44 PM..

Old 09-12-2016, 07:11 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:

Very few stores required id for debit purchases. Most don't. You could have used cash and if you had no bank account likely would.
Its what I bought not what I paid with.
Quote:
IDs can be replaced. If one can get a ride to the polls, one can get a ride to the DMV.
Quote:
Sorry not true. People who are poor, disabled or elderly have less ability to travel and so replacing something could take longer.This is what the backers know. In my state the dmv opens fom 8-5 m-f. There are only a few dmv with weekend hours and they are from 6:30-12:00 on Saterday only. Should someone discover that they need an id too close to election day they could be screwed.I could pick someone elderly up after work and get them to a polling place but should I find out they need id after 4 we are screwed. If i need to use the bus to get the id then it could take twice as long as driving so realisticly 2. However becuase some else is taking her they might not get off till after . No time to correct the situation.
Yes it is true, if you can get to the polls, the grocery, drug store, doctor, food stamp office and all the other places people go you can get to the DMV. Sometimes life has inconveniences for everyone but if it is something required to get something you want people manage to do it.
Quote:
Quote:

it isn't just the cost. It is the hassle.
Again suck it up. Life can be a hassle.

Quote:

Quote:
The peerson needs to record and check.not just look at the birthdate and frankly it is for show as most people look obviously over 18Frankly it woud need to be scanned and tied to the ballot to keep an electionn worker in on the fruaad.
BS. I show my ID at the polls. It doesn't take a second longer to look at it.
Quote:

Quote:
You exxpect a person likee this to need to make more than one trip!
Yes, they have 4 years to make a trip to the DMV.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:24 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
I was thinking about this issue while driving through town this morning, and a couple of thing occurred to me...
In every state, one MUST register to vote. With the instant ID card makers that have been available for many years, there is no reason why an ID card could not be made nearly instantaneously when the voter registers to vote. If they can give a paper card to show registration and precinct, they can make a picture ID. Yes, it would require that the person register in person. Yes, if you lost the card you would have to go back to the elections office and get a new one. Yes, the elections office COULD charge for any replacement card! the first one, at initial registration, would be free.
Then it occurred to me to wonder how in one state (often a Southern state) requiring an ID to vote could be "Unconstitutional", but in another state (often a Northern state) it is not. Did we somehow get two different Constitutions, one for Southern States and one for Northern States? Seems to me if something is "Unconstitutional" it is that way all across this country, not just in one area! It is like being "a little bit pregnant". That is impossible, you are either pregnant or not!

Old 09-12-2016, 07:24 AM

[quote=freemkt;45433783]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

In Texas, for example, the cost of traveling to the nearest Department of Public Safety office, Texas’ version of the DMV, can be burdensome: Of the 254 counties in Texas, 78 do not have a permanent DPS office. In some communities along the Mexican border, the nearest DPS office is between 100 and 125 miles away. And in rural communities in other states, the DMV offices are few and far between.

https://rewire.news/ablc/2014/10/16/...-id-just-vote/

Can they afford to literally take a whole day off work to get a 125-mile ride to the DMV, wait in line for who knows how long, and ride another 125 miles back home? Could you even get a non-relative to take a day off work to drive you there and back?

In order to renew mine, I had to pay $23 to NYC for a birth certificate copy and then another $40 to the state.
Where exactly do you have to drive 125 miles to a DMV in Texas?

Yes sometimes things are burdensome. I had to drive to Nashville to the DMV once 100 miles one way.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
The problems lie more in the hassle which is not equally shared between people. The poor, disabled and elderly often have less ability to get to places like a DMV in a timely manner(before election day) when the id becomes lost, stolen, or expires. It could be due to distance(live in a rural area without transit and can't drive). Time(It takes longer to get anywhere by transit or waiting for someone else to take you and the cost of going somewhere isn't covered).Even if the id is free.
Not really because these people dont work. Most places have repetitive government transportation that is free or only a couple bucks. Most DMV will provide a photo ID for free for low income. It is actually the working people who have a difficult time getting to the DMV during working hours. They generally need to take time off work.
Here is an idea. Get it done sooner than the day before elections. You have 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies