Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:51 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Okay, answer this question. What has been the benefit of engaging in so much military conflict over the last 15 years?
Answer this as well. Why is the USA doing this more than anyone else in the Western World?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 10:54 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And just how could your "big stick" have prevented those allied SAUDI funded azzhats being given visas, allowed to train in a Florida flight school as pilots and suicide themselves to strike a blow from within your own country?

I don't think some people understand you cannot frighten the types of enemy you currently face by wielding a big stick WITHOUT actually using it. Once used, retaliation can be something the likes of which you've never imagined.

You gonna design a big stick that will cause your corporate entities running your country and making oil profits up the whazoo, to confront Saudi duplicity? What's that big stick look like; a divining rod to detect bullcrap from those you've held in trust and overlooked because your leaders were in bed with them?

You still gonna give guys like Cheney a blank cheque to start wars for profits, killing thousands of your best and brightest 'cause he panders to the 'beast with a big stick' syndrome among you?

I gotta see how having more planes, tanks and ships is gonna frighten that sheepherder being promised 72 virgins, whose innocent family you bombed the crap out of five years ago in some desert or another, from going down in the NYC subway and blowing himself up on a Christmas shopping day.

You don't get it at all. Those most endowed with the obsession to do you harm are not the least bit afraid of your military or your Trumpesque bellicosity, they're inured to it now as is the rest of the planet.

Designing weaponry and developing the image of not being afraid to use it does nothing to sway those who don't have the same regard for human life.

They don't shive-a-git about your big sticks and you cannot lay waste to half the planet in an oxymoronic fit of fear and insecurity.

Those days of people who can do you immeasurable harm having the common sense to refrain from doing so due to subsequent consequences are OVER and GONE forever.
And I suppose you think Middle Eastern people are our only threat.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:03 AM

1,478 posts, read 788,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I think most of us would love to be able to cut military spending but take a look around!!! The reality is we live in a very dangerous world. The Middle East is a total cluster and Russia and China are getting more aggressive by the day. Would it really be prudent and in our best interest to cut back? Personally, I feel that is a dangerous position.
Oh give me a break. It is the United States and NATO that are being aggressive. And the state of the Middle East is the direct fault and creation of the United States.

ISIS came about because of the United States (not China or Russia) and now because of that Russia and China have had to try and clean up the mess we created.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:07 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
It does not have to be an either or. If he wants to spend billions to make the military capable of destroying ISIS then that will cost less then the many trillions Hillary will spend not defeating ISIS and only causing chaos and perpetual proxy wars in the Middle East and Ukraine. The US has already given the Ukraine $6 billion dollars under Obama and what is the tax payer getting in return? Nada. But not one fanatic of the Democrafic Party complains about all those wasted billions.

I think Trump is trying to appeal to warmongering Democrats and warmongering Republicans though. That kind of irks me.
If wars were not 'profitable' countries would end their disputes. Unfortunately it is profitable thus the world we live in.

Trump has irked me long time now. Liken to that of Obama, any thing can spill out of Trumps mouth and most everyone drinks the koolaid, with a yea and a smile.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:26 AM

1,478 posts, read 788,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
If wars were not 'profitable' countries would end their disputes. Unfortunately it is profitable thus the world we live in.
You may be right.

I used to think it was right to coerce active and reserve members of the military into fighting wars by threat of execution or long prison sentences. Certainly I believed this when I was in the military.

But a guy that is a lawyer started to change my mind about that online. Now I'm of the belief military service anywhere in the world should be treated much like we treat other forms of labor. And that being all military personnel should have the protected right to quit there jobs and refuse to go to war. Slavery was a form of labor humans used throughout most human history until recently. I'm sure many people centuries ago thought changing laws on labor pertaining to owning the person (slavery) and not just owning their labor (free men that sell their labor to employers who own their labor) was crazy. And it might sound crazy to suggest leaders of any nation should have to convince their citizens and members of its military on the validity and need to fight X war. As it is today leaders of nations have ample supply of people they can send to war under threat that if they refuse they will either be executed or go to prison and be given a felony for life.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
I know Trump would not pay Iran 1.6 Billion dollars!
It's Iran's money, so the alternative was to steal it. Trump said we should steal oil from Iraq, and Libya, so why would he not steal money from other countries.

The more he says, the more he worries me.

I didn't like Wells Fargo either, but I owed them money, so I paid them. That's how it works.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:35 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's Iran's money, so the alternative was to steal it. Trump said we should steal oil from Iraq, and Libya, so why would he not steal money from other countries.

I didn't like Wells Fargo either, but I owed them money, so I paid them. That's how it works.
It wasn't Irans current government that the money came from. It was the regime before that...

Old 09-08-2016, 11:42 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Okay, answer this question. What has been the benefit of engaging in so much military conflict over the last 15 years?
Answer this as well. Why is the USA doing this more than anyone else in the Western World?
Answer: Foreign entanglements.

For example, if I were to offer you a 10,000 bet that we have had a secret treaty with the Sauds for many decades where they work with us on economic issues (oil) and we promise to protect them from the Iraqs & Irans.....would you take it?

Unlike something like NATO, there are places around the world where such deals wouldn't be highly popular and so they are kept on the "down-low" and I think many of these are why we get drug into stuff around the globe.

It's a legacy of the coldwar era.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
It wasn't Irans current government that the money came from. It was the regime before that...
That is 100% irrelevant. It is not our money, it is their money.

If you have a mortgage with Wells Fargo, and they sell it to some other company (or they are taken over), do you think it means you don't have to pay?

Old 09-08-2016, 11:53 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Trumps just making empty election rhetoric, likely in response to voter polling information.

No different than "take those record profits" Hillary back in 2008.

I've never seen two candidates that are less trustworthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies