Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 08:57 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,073 times

Advertisements

This is just one of the examples of how things happen. There are plenty of stories like this some families
Recovered and a lot of them didn't. Fast forward to today we have come along way and I'm happy for the progress that's been made but we have a long way to go. The story of July Perry

#OcoeeMassacre 1920. He was a very successful black businessman who was an advocate for the economic and political empowerment of black people. He fought for his right to vote at the Nov 2, 1920 elections and was given that right by Judge John Cheney (who was looking to capitalize on the black vote for election into the Senate, but I digress). At the polls his right to vote was not recognized. He was imprisoned that night. A few hours later a white mob dragged him out of the jail cell, tied him to the back of the car and dragged him through the city. They, then, hung him from a light post and riddled his body with bullets. They followed his lynching with burning down the homes of the black community. Those who survived fled into the orange groves and did not return back to their homes in Ocoee. Ocoee became an all white town and no black person entered the area for 60 years. The murderer's and their families stole the land and property of the black residents, including that of July Perry. Anyone who attempted to take his body down was threatened. A photographer took pictures of his body and sold it for 25 cents. White business owners proudly hung the picture of his lynching in their store windows.He was buried in an unmarked grave which did not receive a headstone until 2002 through the efforts of the West Orange Reconciliation Task Force. He is a martyr and hero. His death will not be in vain. We will bring honor to his memory and the victims of the Ocoee Massacre. The best thing anyone can do is spread the word. This massacre was swept under the rug in Florida and national history. Let the secret out so that they can rest in peace.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u488/staysean23/Mobile%20Uploads/8458BBD9-2C6F-4BDF-8FF5-529A475BA3CC_zpsxmdxzxnh.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-09-2016 at 07:26 AM..

Old 09-08-2016, 09:01 AM

7,769 posts, read 6,373,335 times
96 years later, what has this to do with anything current?

Old 09-08-2016, 09:03 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,563,474 times
The Democrats that Blacks overwhelmingly vote for had nothing to do with this. /s

Old 09-08-2016, 09:19 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,551,725 times
I know. It's white people's fault!

If both Colin Powell and Barack Obama can rise to the prominent, I really don't think any black person still has any excuses for their "ill fortune". They have nothing but themselves to blame.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:26 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,182,607 times
OP, I think you may have only excited these posters. You need to explain it to them. Up to you. Anyways, thanks for sharing this horrible story of American history. It is important to not forget.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:30 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
96 years later, what has this to do with anything current?
Everyone here loves to talk about black proverty is so high and how income levels are so wide between blacks and whites here is one if the reasons why. What could have been growing wealth in those communities was stolen.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:30 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,699,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I know. It's white people's fault!

If both Colin Powell and Barack Obama can rise to the prominent, I really don't think any black person still has any excuses for their "ill fortune". They have nothing but themselves to blame.
Wow...lets apply that logic to 911 and the Twin Towers. If all those people were in the building on that day.....and most of them were able to get out alive.....then is it also true that those who did not survive had nothing to blame but themselves?

Old 09-08-2016, 09:32 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
This is more appropriate IMO in the history forum because it is not directly related to poverty as is mentioned in the OP title.

However, I will note that I know that you OP live in GA and GA was the 2nd highest state in the nation for lynchings, after only Mississippi. The most atrocious, horrendous lynching I ever read about occurred there "Remembering Mary Turner."

From the link:

Quote:
Twenty year-old Mary Turner (m.n. Hattie Graham), 8 months pregnant at the time and whose husband had been killed in this "lynching rampage" on Sunday, May 19th, publicly objected to her husband's murder. She also had the audacity to threaten to swear out warrants for those responsible. Those "unwise remarks," as the area papers put it, enraged locals. Consequently, Mary Turner fled for her life only to be caught and taken to a place called Folsom's Bridge on the Brooks and Lowndes Counties' shared border. To punish her, at Folsom's Bridge the mob tied Mary Turner by her ankles, hung her upside down from a tree, poured gasoline on her and burned off her clothes. One member of the mob then cut her stomach open and her unborn child dropped to the ground where it was reportedly stomped on and crushed by a member of the mob. Her body was then riddled with gunfire from the mob. Later that night she and her baby were buried ten feet away from where they were murdered. The makeshift grave was marked with only a "whiskey bottle" with a "cigar" stuffed in its neck.
This was the most sickening thing in the red I had ever read about regarding a lynching (until I started reading slave narratives. There is a slave narrative that is similar to this whereas a slave baby kept crying so the white mistress took the baby and beat it to death with a whip).

People do like to not remember that blacks were victims of domestic terrorism in this country to a degree only surpassed by native Americans IMO.

However in regards to poverty today, that is more directly linked with more "soft" forms of societal racism that denied black people the opportunities to acquire wealth post WW2.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:38 AM

45,538 posts, read 27,146,343 times
From the OP...

"His death will not be in vain. We will bring honor to his memory and the victims of the Ocoee Massacre. The best thing anyone can do is spread the word."

What is your goal for spreading the word?

As terrible as this is - it's almost 100 years ago. We have the right to vote. We have a black president. We have blacks making tons of money today. We are free.

What message do you want to send?

Old 09-08-2016, 09:39 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,551,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Wow...lets apply that logic to 911 and the Twin Towers. If all those people were in the building on that day.....and most of them were able to get out alive.....then is it also true that those who did not survive had nothing to blame but themselves?
Accidents v.s. life choices.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.