Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 07:09 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
What state do you live in that this is how it works? I have friends that work security and they would laugh at that post. Even if it was the law they wouldn't do it--not worth the risk. You're getting into false imprisonment territory and if not careful with wording maybe even impersonating. They only would put their hands on someone in self defense.

Of course, give some people an inch...

Edit: I'm talking about regular security not police moonlighting
I just explained better what I am talking about in my last post. It makes a huge difference that he was also a police officer. Security normally will not even risk detainment because the edge between detainment and custody is so fuzzy (especially with minors).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 11:05 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I just explained better what I am talking about in my last post. It makes a huge difference that he was also a police officer. Security normally will not even risk detainment because the edge between detainment and custody is so fuzzy (especially with minors).
Department store loss prevention security detains people very often.

Just saying.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:15 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
some think this girl should win because there is seemingly no reason for the cop to have stopped her. some think she should lose for what ever reason. but here area few questions that need answering before ANYONE can say one way or the other;

1: did one of the shops in the complain of shoplifters?

2: did she fit the description of said shoplifters?

3: were there any other crimes committed that she fit the description?

if the answer t these questions is yes, then the cop, even working as a private security guard, has every right to stop her and question her, until he is satisfied that she is not the person in question. and she has no right to leave until such time as he is done with her.

until we know far more facts than just the video, we can only speculate.
Speculation works both ways.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:51 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
As does someone that has virtually no facts about the incident and no idea of what transpired, but automatically faults an officer just because. But that's fairly common here on CD, it's the cops fault, no matter what actually happened.

Just seen cops use unnecessary and unwarranted force, lie about it, conspire with other cops to lie about it and charge their victim with crimes they didn't commit in order to cover up their own lawlessness too many times to believe any cop acted properly unless and until it can be verified through a non-cop source.

The general public is beginning to get the message that police are not to be trusted or believed.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:53 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Case in point...

Boo-hoo!

Old 09-09-2016, 01:05 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Speculation works both ways.
really? you wouldnt kid me about that would you?

Old 09-09-2016, 07:39 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Just seen cops use unnecessary and unwarranted force, lie about it, conspire with other cops to lie about it and charge their victim with crimes they didn't commit in order to cover up their own lawlessness too many times to believe any cop acted properly unless and until it can be verified through a non-cop source.

The general public is beginning to get the message that police are not to be trusted or believed.

Welcome to the Police State, that has been hired to suppress the Free State.

I'm pretty positive, there is an amendment in the constitution that deals directly with this scenario.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:45 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Department store loss prevention security detains people very often.

Just saying.
As someone who actually used to do that job, let me tell you that they have to have damn good proof before they go detaining someone. If they do detain someone and they can't find the goods on the person, that person can, and more than likely will, sue the hell out of that store. It happens, and that is why we were told if you have any doubt at all about being able to recover the merchandise, if you lose sight of them for even a second, you do not detain.

Just saying.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:50 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
As someone who actually used to do that job, let me tell you that they have to have damn good proof before they go detaining someone. If they do detain someone and they can't find the goods on the person, that person can, and more than likely will, sue the hell out of that store. It happens, and that is why we were told if you have any doubt at all about being able to recover the merchandise, if you lose sight of them for even a second, you do not detain.

Just saying.
So, am I wrong?

Old 09-09-2016, 08:53 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
I'll bet every time she opens her mouth she abuses the civil rights of anyone within earshot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies