Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 12:15 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,835 times

Advertisements

This type of thing is EXACTLY why we do not want socialized, government controlled health care.

What a disaster. Are the so-called "death panels" too far down the road in the UK? Gotta wonder!

Obese patients and smokers banned from routine surgery *in 'most severe ever' rationing in the NHS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 12:23 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
We already do the same thing here in the USA only they use different language... like "you're not good candidate for surgery" or"you have to lose 50 pounds before we can do the surgery" or "you're too high risk."

Old 09-09-2016, 12:27 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
did you bother to read the article ?

it's only a proposal by one small area, the Vale of York,
and it doesn't ban all operations.

Moreover, NHS has already stopped them from doing this.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ective-surgery

Old 09-09-2016, 12:33 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
did you bother to read the article ?

it's only a proposal by one small area, the Vale of York,
and it doesn't ban all operations.

Moreover, NHS has already stopped them from doing this.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ective-surgery
Yeah, did you?

Great that it's "on-hold". I didn't see the other article when I posted (obviously). That said, it sure sounds like more of this type of thing is down the pipeline in the UK.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:37 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,058,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Yeah, did you?

Great that it's "on-hold". I didn't see the other article when I posted (obviously). That said, it sure sounds like more of this type of thing is down the pipeline in the UK.
No, Brexit happened so the NHS will be getting 350million a week more in funding

oh, no, that was a lie

Old 09-09-2016, 03:22 PM

8,231 posts, read 3,488,380 times
I was injured after a fall. I was about average weight at the time. I needed knee surgery and had trouble getting around. It took about nine months for the insurance to finally give approval for the surgery. By the time I had the surgery I had gained about 80-90lbs. because of inactivity. I was not reassessed for the weight. My weight gain made recovering from the surgery harder and it failed. I have limited use of my knee. Having the extra weight on the body can hinder recovery. I've never been able to exercise enough to get the weight back off because of the knee. It's a catch 22. There are legitimate reasons concerning weight and surgery. Had I had the surgery right away the outcome would have been drastically different.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:32 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
I have little sympathy for smokers who later on face the consequences. Smoking is entirely a choice.

I don't support barring overweight people though, since there can be many reasons outside of one's control for that.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:44 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
It seems that NHS England has now stepped in and told the NHS Trust to think again. This not only breaks the NHS Constitution but could also be challenged in relation to the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR). The ECHR being a seperate organisation to the EU and one we have not voted to leave.

Obese patients 'surgery ban' in York to be reviewed - BBC News

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

The North Yorkshire authority said it had been asked to review the plans by NHS England. It said in a statement: “NHS England has today asked us to review the draft approach, which we will now do, and will hold off implementing anything until we have an agreed way forward.

“We will ensure any plans are implemented in line with national guidance, are in the best interests of our patients and are clinically robust.”

A spokesman for NHS England said denying operations to a particular group – such as smokers – was “inconsistent” with the NHS constitution.

“Major surgery poses much higher risks for severely overweight patients who smoke. So local GP-led clinical commissioning groups are entirely right to ensure these patients first get support to lose weight and try and stop smoking before their hip or knee operation.

“Reducing obesity and cutting smoking not only benefit patients, but saves the NHS and taxpayers millions of pounds.

“This does not and cannot mean blanket bans on particular patients such as smokers getting operations, which would be inconsistent with the NHS constitution.

“Vale of York CCG is currently under special measures legal direction, and NHS England is today asking it to review its proposed approach before it takes effect to ensure it is proportionate, clinically reasonable and consistent with applicable national clinical guidelines.”

Plans to deny surgery to obese patients and smokers put on hold - The Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-09-2016 at 03:58 PM..

Old 09-09-2016, 04:14 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
We already do the same thing here in the USA only they use different language... like "you're not good candidate for surgery" or"you have to lose 50 pounds before we can do the surgery" or "you're too high risk."
Yeah and cigarettes were heavily taxed under the justification that smoking increased healthcare costs.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:58 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
People who intentionally ruin their own health I think should be treated differently. I saw a family of 4, all of them morbidly obese at the movies tonight. Hotdogs and popcorn for all and of course the canteen sized soda pops.

Absolutely no regard to their own health. Why should I have to subsidize that behavior? Sorry, you gotta pay to play and that paying part might be working out or at least taking a walk once a day and watching what you eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies