Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 02:42 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
We have age of consent laws for a reason, Some people do not have the mental capacity or maturity to enter into a contract.

Polygamous marriages do complicate things under our current welfare state much more than gay marriage. There is a much weaker case for stating polygamists are denied equal protection under the law.

The primary beneficiaries of SS survivor benefits are women long past child bearing age.
In a libertarian country, each person is treated as one individual regardless they are married or not. Marriage would have no meaning in any government benefits if any benefit even exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 02:47 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't believe in egalitarianism.
Quote:
I think less egalitarianism would result. Essentially society would revert back to tribal and less tolerant.
Are you desiring more tribality and less tolerance then? And if so, and you think that would result from more libertarian views, then by your own logic shouldn't you be supportive of more libertarian views? Just playing devil's advocate.
Quote:
I find no reason gay couples should receive the same equal protection as straight couples.
I find no reason the identity of people entering into a contract that affects me not should be any of my - or your - business.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:54 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
In a libertarian country, each person is treated as one individual regardless they are married or not. Marriage would have no meaning in any government benefits if any benefit even exists.
I don't mean to be a devil's advocate. I just can't imagine that wouldn't mean no one would get married, everyone would see your partner as fair game and vice versa, cheating has little consequences, who knows who the father is, fatherless children. And if you hear some people tell it that means poverty and violent crime. This is kind of why the church 1,000s of years ago or tribal leadership in most cultures stepped in and created and defined marriage in the first place .

Old 09-10-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Are you desiring more tribality and less tolerance then? And if so, and you think that would result from more libertarian views, then by your own logic shouldn't you be supportive of more libertarian views? Just playing devil's advocate.

In a word yes.

Quote:
I find no reason the identity of people entering into a contract that affects me not should be any of my - or your - business.

But this contract does effect everyone if they are getting tax-payer supported benefits. And creation of this contract leads to sexual orientation being a further protected class. I had no objection to gays having civil union contracts. It was how the whole gay marriage went down that I object to. The popular vote, states and legislatures being overruled and the constitution being reinterpreted..

Old 09-10-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I don't mean to be a devil's advocate. I just can't imagine that wouldn't mean no one would get married, everyone would see your partner as fair game and vice versa, cheating has little consequences, who knows who the father is, fatherless children. And if you hear some people tell it that means poverty and violent crime. This is kind of why the church 1,000s of years ago or tribal leadership in most cultures stepped in and created and defined marriage in the first place .
Feel free to marry whoever you want as long as all of you are consenting adults. It's just a civil union through a contract stating you are forming a civil union, aka a family.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
But this contract does effect everyone if they are getting tax-payer supported benefits.
But their *identity* is immaterial. Within the framework of whatever benefits, I don't care who they are.
Quote:
I had no objection to gays having civil union contracts.
I think this is the *only* piece the government should have any purview over anyway. Enforce a contract between consenting adults if necessary. No distinction based on identity.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Feel free to marry whoever you want as long as all of you are consenting adults. It's just a civil union through a contract stating you are forming a civil union, aka a family.

Then call gay marriage a civil union but don't call it "marriage", give it tax-payer supported benefits, or make sexual orientation a protected class, and I won't care much but still don't see all unions and contracts equal.

I still say it's egalitarianism and co-opting . You never addresses the potential social issues I proposed if marriage didn't provide financial incentives btw.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Then call gay marriage a civil union but don't give it tax-payer supported benefits...
Why? Setting aside the discussion of what "benefits" there should be in the first place, or what it should be "called," why should anything be different based on identity?

Old 09-10-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Then call gay marriage a civil union but don't call it "marriage", give it tax-payer supported benefits, or make sexual orientation a protected class, and I won't care much but still don't see all unions and contracts equal.

I still say it's egalitarianism and co-opting . You never addresses the potential social issues I proposed if marriage didn't provide financial incentives btw.
Not under a libertarian system because there wouldn't be any taxpayer supported benefits. Both marriage and civil union would mean jack squat as there would be no added benefit one way or another.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:44 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,899,147 times
The OP hasn't come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies