Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 12:06 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You are coming up with excuse after excuse.
Hey, keep supporting progressive taxation and see how that works out. Let me know when the rich stop getting richer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 12:17 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Hey, keep supporting progressive taxation and see how that works out. Let me know when the rich stop getting richer.
The rich have been getting richer for 40 years. In the meantime, we have moved towards a more regressive tax system with huge tax cuts for the super rich in the past 40 years. As long as we allow big money to dominate politics, the politicians will serve their financial overlords. Keep hating unions and you'll get the Louisiana dream society you yearn for.

European countries have strong unions and far higher taxes overall (both for the rich, the middle and the poor). THAT is an absolutely crucial aspect of all those countries which you completely ignore of course in order to fit your agenda of fantasizing about Tennessee and Arkansas are promoting equality with their tax systems.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:18 PM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Can you dispute what he said? It is in fact true that the industrialized countries that tax regressively have MUCH less income inequality. The costs of government are spread more equitably across the population, so there's no need for their governments to act in a way that makes the rich even richer, in order to maximize tax revenue.
You want me to repeat myself?

Time for me to sign off and/or give this up for the day again I think...

Old 09-18-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
The rich have been getting richer for 40 years.
Uh, huh. Look at the tax code. It gives the federal government THE INCENTIVE to make sure the rich get even richer in order to maximize tax revenue.

Meanwhile, look at REGRESSIVELY taxing European and Scandinavian countries: MUCH less income inequality.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Uh, huh.
You roll your eyes and have ZERO counter-arguments. Just endless repetition and beating that old horse. Just proves you have nothing more to contribute.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
You roll your eyes and have ZERO counter-arguments.
Just keep advocating a progressive tax code and see what happens.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Just keep advocating a progressive tax code and see what happens.
We've seen what happened with the regressive tax reforms over the past 40 years. Reaganomics has been a disaster for the poor and working class. But you have nothing to contribute anymore so I'm done.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Why not give students and their families a choice? Who is more engaged in a process? Someone who is forced to take whatever the government dictates to them? Or someone who actively chooses what they want?
Apparently you don't know all sides of this debate? Do you know the argument against your position? If not, you really should learn it before deciding what is best for all concerned. If you do know it, then you should at least include mention of it in your comment(s). Otherwise..., where to start?

Old 09-18-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
We've seen what happened with the regressive tax reforms over the past 40 years. Reaganomics has been a disaster for the poor and working class. But you have nothing to contribute anymore so I'm done.
Keep advocating for a progressive tax system and see what happens. Let me know when the rich stop getting richer.

Meanwhile, look at what European and Scandinavian countries do. Be sure to read the tax progressivity charts:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ont-have-a-47/

Old 09-18-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
That's exactly my point, and that's how SCOTUS sees it, as well. The taking of privately owned land for public use burdens the private property owner. That's why the 5th Amendment demands just compensation for such.
The "taking of privately owned land?"

What ARE you going on about now...

We all know the basics when it comes to these laws, eminent domain and such. Each case to be decided accordingly, balancing the interests of private ownership vs public, sometimes not ideally for all concerned, but hopefully with better reason and logic than represented in this thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies