Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 04:34 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I know people whose kids are in high school, where 9-11 is sometimes barely covered in class. In NY/NJ, it is still a vivid memory to those of us living or working in NY on that day. Almost half the people I know, know someone who died that day.
I hope someday you get the chance to visit NY and go to the National Sept 11 Memorial and Museum. Just bring tissues.
I'm so sorry Joe...yes, it must be very difficult for many....I just hope our children and grand children, never forget. It is wise to stay aware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 05:15 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I know people whose kids are in high school, where 9-11 is sometimes barely covered in class. In NY/NJ, it is still a vivid memory to those of us living or working in NY on that day. Almost half the people I know, know someone who died that day.
I hope someday you get the chance to visit NY and go to the National Sept 11 Memorial and Museum. Just bring tissues.
Yeah. My parents wanted to go to the Memorial when they came to the city a few years back. I couldn't do it. Sat on a bench in front of St. Paul while they went over. When they came back they were pretty somber. Dad said he was sorry - didn't realize how hard it was for me to be there. I traveled a lot for work at the time it happened, so saw the site from the air just a few days afterward. Maybe it would be helpful to visit.

I embroidered a square for a group that was putting together a quilt with all the names of the first-responders killed that day - five firefighters on my square. Lot of tears shed while doing it. It's hard to find words to express feelings about that day in a way that people not so affected by it can understand.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:26 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
I love Disturbd. Thank you for the video. I posted in another thread that turned into a odd discussion on whether it was an "inside job" or not. This is what I wrote there:

It's something that has scarred me for life. I woke up that morning, and sleepily turned on the TV to drink coffee and watch the news. I saw the collapse of the towers live. At first I thought it was a movie or something, then I realized with absolute horror that it was really happening. I don't know how long I cried. I sobbed until I had nothing left. I remember screaming. I spent the next two days in bed, completely unable to function. I still feel that anxiety and loss when I think about it.

It's not a question of whether I will, or won't forget. Sometimes it would be easier if I could. It's something that I can't forget. That day, and the days that followed changed me. Those memories will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Yeah. My parents wanted to go to the Memorial when they came to the city a few years back. I couldn't do it. Sat on a bench in front of St. Paul while they went over. When they came back they were pretty somber. Dad said he was sorry - didn't realize how hard it was for me to be there. I traveled a lot for work at the time it happened, so saw the site from the air just a few days afterward. Maybe it would be helpful to visit.

I embroidered a square for a group that was putting together a quilt with all the names of the first-responders killed that day - five firefighters on my square. Lot of tears shed while doing it. It's hard to find words to express feelings about that day in a way that people not so affected by it can understand.
I'm with you, I can't do funerals, nor could I go to the Memorial in PA or NYC....I'd weep my eyes out...

and yes, your correct....words could never describe the tragic heartache of that day.

Hugs

Old 09-12-2016, 06:54 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times
Thanks for the Video. Much respect for you for posting this. My thoughts are for all those that lost people, and those like the post above that are still dealing with the losses. All those that were affected by this evil.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I love Disturbd. Thank you for the video. I posted in another thread that turned into a odd discussion on whether it was an "inside job" or not. This is what I wrote there:

It's something that has scarred me for life. I woke up that morning, and sleepily turned on the TV to drink coffee and watch the news. I saw the collapse of the towers live. At first I thought it was a movie or something, then I realized with absolute horror that it was really happening. I don't know how long I cried. I sobbed until I had nothing left. I remember screaming. I spent the next two days in bed, completely unable to function. I still feel that anxiety and loss when I think about it.

It's not a question of whether I will, or won't forget. Sometimes it would be easier if I could. It's something that I can't forget. That day, and the days that followed changed me. Those memories will haunt me for the rest of my life.
I don't believe any of us will ever forget it....it was so surreal...when the towers were burning, I had thought that most of the people had already gotten out...and when they fell, it was literally so unbelievable...?

My uncle worked with explosives and shot off many explosions for construction companies...so I have seen them bring down buildings....when the towers fell, we were all sitting in a conf. room at work, it was so quiet in there, you could hear a pin drop....when they fell, I remember wanting to yell out...THAT'S AN IMPLOSION!!!! Because that is exactly what an implosion looked like....

and yes, the memories never leave one's mind.

sending hugs....and thank you

Old 09-12-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Thanks for the Video. Much respect for you for posting this. My thoughts are for all those that lost people, and those like the post above that are still dealing with the losses. All those that were affected by this evil.
Thank you...hugs

Old 09-12-2016, 07:59 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Very moving video and song.

I can't imagine what it must be like for the survivors...it must still be a very vivid memory. I was only 10 when it happened, in CA, and I remember vividly that morning -- after brushing my teeth, stepping out into the living room to find my parents staring at the news, stunned, and simply telling me, "I don't think you'll have school today..." Then I saw what was being shown on TV. I thought it was just some action movie at first glance, until my parents said that and I connected the dots.

If I remember even that vividly, it's scary to think of how the people actually there that day must feel now.
It varies. Some people have such terrible PTSD that they cannot function. Others, like me, went back to work on the rebuilding. I talk and write about it. Some people cannot speak of it at all. We all have something. At least once every day it is 8:46 a.m. and I am in that hallway feeling the floor go out from under my feet. It's fleeting, but it happens every day.

Starting in August every year it gets worse for us. Sometimes we don't realize why we feel angry or cranky or depressed. There's this whole denial thing that kicks in, until finally we realize, "Duh, it's 9/11 coming." Memories and the accompanying emotions get stronger.

September 12 always feels wonderful.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:30 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't believe any of us will ever forget it....it was so surreal...when the towers were burning, I had thought that most of the people had already gotten out...and when they fell, it was literally so unbelievable...?

My uncle worked with explosives and shot off many explosions for construction companies...so I have seen them bring down buildings....when the towers fell, we were all sitting in a conf. room at work, it was so quiet in there, you could hear a pin drop....when they fell, I remember wanting to yell out...THAT'S AN IMPLOSION!!!! Because that is exactly what an implosion looked like....

and yes, the memories never leave one's mind.

sending hugs....and thank you
*hugs*

You're welcome.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It varies. Some people have such terrible PTSD that they cannot function. Others, like me, went back to work on the rebuilding. I talk and write about it. Some people cannot speak of it at all. We all have something. At least once every day it is 8:46 a.m. and I am in that hallway feeling the floor go out from under my feet. It's fleeting, but it happens every day.

Starting in August every year it gets worse for us. Sometimes we don't realize why we feel angry or cranky or depressed. There's this whole denial thing that kicks in, until finally we realize, "Duh, it's 9/11 coming." Memories and the accompanying emotions get stronger.

September 12 always feels wonderful.
God Love ya! Hugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies