Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 11:59 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Those vids have been around for a while. I've seen the scene pop up on various "SJW Fail" and "Regressive Left" videos a few times.

I encourage anyone who's interested in how far things are spiraling to check out a couple of Reddit pages:

Tumblr In Action
Social Justice In Action

Other good ones include $hit Statists Say, Degeneracy In Action (aka Cringe Anarchy), and SRS $ucks.

I'm fascinated by this. I'm fascinated by the evidence of the Horseshoe Theory encompassed in the Alt Right and the Regressive Left. I would love to take a couple of years off gathering information, conducting interviews, and garnering historical context and then write or co-write a book on the topic.

Several books already cover it.
The Road to Serfdom and Atlas Shrugged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 12:33 PM

36,226 posts, read 30,664,456 times
I had to stop watching when the snowflake accused the professor of being racist because he could not remember her name.
My brain can only take so much stupidity today.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:42 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,771,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It is footage from last year but it went unnoticed until recently. And it's interesting because it shows that there was quite a large group of crazies berating that Yale professor, not just the one lone screeching girl.

Yes, that's what makes it news.

That said, I have a memo for that wimp of a professor:

In the words of Jeremiah Wright, your chickens... are coming home... to roost.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:51 PM

28,883 posts, read 30,181,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
basically he stood up for his wife, also a yale professor, who had the audacity to state the following:

the horror..

so glad i went to state colleges in red states.
can you explain to me, why the one gal said she didn't feel safe any more? did I miss something?

Old 09-16-2016, 12:56 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
can you explain to me, why the one gal said she didn't feel safe any more? did I miss something?

Because words today cause so much pain..... The other irrational girl said it. Right after the guy said the professor and his wife were causing violence.

They feel it is their right, to not be offended for not being able to think for themselves and violence being the only resort.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:05 PM

39,044 posts, read 27,462,475 times
Quote:
The professor's wife believes that, students would be better served if colleges showed more faith in their capacity to work things out themselves, which would help them to develop cognitive skills. “Nicholas says, if you don’t like a costume someone is wearing, look away, or tell them you are offended. Talk to each other. Free speech and the ability to tolerate offence are hallmarks of a free and open society,”

The male professor in the video supported his wife's view on freedom of speech and expression. The female student felt unsafe because of this.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:13 PM

78,014 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Everything is up for discussion... everything.
There is no call to apologize for anything said. They will apologize after discussion and have been swayed to change their point of view. Not intimidation and threats of violence. Discussion.
Just so I'm clear up front, you and I are on the same page about the special snowflakes at so many colleges and universities.

With regards to religions universities though, it's much easier to be able to have nice discussions when pretty much the whole campus has a common bond through religion and of course you're generally dealing with people that were raised right and then you get into socio-economics at some schools too.

That's why Universities like you cited are in a practical sense one giant safe-space IMO.

It would be like sitting around talking about if Tom Brady is the greatest quarterback of all-time....in a Boston sports bar. Very different conversation that in other locations around the country.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:15 PM

28,883 posts, read 30,181,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The professor's wife believes that, students would be better served if colleges showed more faith in their capacity to work things out themselves, which would help them to develop cognitive skills. “Nicholas says, if you don’t like a costume someone is wearing, look away, or tell them you are offended. Talk to each other. Free speech and the ability to tolerate offence are hallmarks of a free and open society,”

The male professor in the video supported his wife's view on freedom of speech and expression. The female student felt unsafe because of this.
I don't get why people are so sensitive to things today, this, to me, is what is killing America.

I hear the news reports and think to myself, "So what". There are much bigger fish to fry?

When we were in school, we told ethnic jokes, and a lot of them were about Italians. I'm Italian...and yet, we laughed like crazy and had fun...people fear laughing at themselves and just letting things go...
My Gosh, I wonder what they would think of Don Rickles today.
you say something and your a bigot/racist...people use those words and are offended much too quickly and display much hate over it! Crazy, I don't get it, it's like everyone is walking around so freakin negative they're waiting for someone to say something to pounce on them.

I'm so glad I lived during the time I did as a child, we didn't have all this nonesense, and that is what it is...

and talk about the ability to tolerate???? My God, she says she does not feel safe because of that?
Wow, these kids don't have a clue...wait until they get out in the real world....

Thanks so much and thank you BentBow

Old 09-16-2016, 01:29 PM

78,014 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
It's a form of passive aggressive attack via speech.

Saying you don't "feel safe" is designed to paint the other speaker as an aggressor and yourself as a victim.

In these cases it's a false claim meant to intimidate another via accusation of implied wrongdoing.

It's a bullying tactic used when one person in a discussion is having their "feelings" defeated by logical discussion.

Last edited by Mathguy; 09-16-2016 at 02:09 PM..

Old 09-16-2016, 01:39 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,261,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Several books already cover it.
The Road to Serfdom and Atlas Shrugged.
I've read both. And I appreciate the reference. But I think the emergence of this cancerous form of thinking and language manipulation is a relatively new phenomenon, and I'm especially interested in how it has emerged in parallel with groups on the right (such as the "Alt Right") and how both have appeared in tandem with the ubiquity of the internet, smartphones, and Twitter. I posted briefly about that here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/45458213-post26.html

Yes, collectivism and statism are obviously powerful elements of the new ethic.

Several months ago I mentioned "Political Correctness" to my girlfriend. She was puzzled -- she asked "you mean the thing where you have to call someone 'vertically-challenged' or 'differently-abled' that we made fun of in the 90s? I thought that died out a long time ago."

So I exposed her to what's really happening. Justice over honesty and justice over freedom. Checking your privilege. Cultural appropriation. The cult (and hierarchy) of victimhood. Dog whistles. Fat pride. Gender fluidity and a plethora of new pronouns. Identity politics on turbo. Intersectionalism. Mainsplaining. Micro-aggressions (and umpteen different micro-things). PiV is always rape. Reverse rape. Safe spaces. Systemic everything. Third-wave feminism. Trigger warnings. Virtue signaling. Etc. And the actual expressions of some of these insidious ideas are far worse than these vocabulary terms imply. There is a vast archive of examples. If you can think it, if it can be expressed with tortured language, it can become part of modern thought.

The other day I learned that The Golden Rule -- treat others as you yourself would want to be treated -- perpetuates RAPE CULTURE and THE PATRIARCHY. How? Simple. If it had been written by a woman, if it didn't reflect centuries of male oppression and rape, it would instead go "treat others the way they themselves demand to be treated."

And there's a new segregationism emerging as well.

All of this is the enemy of classical liberalism -- freedom of thought and expression, the marketplace of ideas, individuality, individual responsibility, economic freedom, sticks and stones, etc.

But the weird and terrible part of this is how much of a slippery slope it is. Where do you draw the line? I've seen it in my brother, in his girlfriend, in my girlfriend, even in my own brain (the worst, in my general vicinity, has got to be my girlfriend's niece who just started college in August... I fear what will happen to her brain during four or five years of this malignancy). If you start to accept a small amount of this, some of this, it opens the door for accepting more and more of it. It's a path in the brain that dulls critical thinking. I think there's a neurological basis here that I don't claim to fully understand yet. Much of the manifestation of this is a reliance on what "should be" rather than what "is" -- as if we can change everything by how we describe everything; this means telling the truth (or rather pointing out the truth) about things is very often viewed as immoral. And a lot of the root of this is a world of luxury and coddling, free of true danger or hard work, which as it happens is actually a very bad thing for the chemistry of the human brain. As it happens we have to INVENT dangers if we don't get them from the real world. The problem is those invented dangers can pretty much become ANYTHING since they don't actually exist.

Anyway, I'm just rambling, but I think there's something here worth at least studying in greater detail. It's at least interesting and somewhat horrifying as a sociological trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies