Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 03:38 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/17/us...line.html?_r=0

I love how a man speaking his own opinion which he is entitled to under the 1st amendment is taboo with New York City liberals.

I guess these days it is worse to make comments that don't meet the liberals seal of approval for political correctness then it is to have 60,000 people and 23,000 people homeless like they do in the newspapers hometown.

Basic Facts About Homelessness: New York City - Coalition For The Homeless

I guess his record of 2nd highest personal income growth, 3.5% unemployment rate, top rated state for peace and 2nd in safety is just not good enough for them.

2nd highest personal income growth in America

Maine Enjoys Second Highest Personal Income Growth in the Nation, Without Question 4 | The Maine Wire

Unemployment Rate of 3.5%

May unemployment rate 3.5 percent - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Most Peaceful State

America's most peaceful state is Maine: ranking index | WCSH6.com

2nd safest state in America

America's Safest and Most Dangerous States 2016 Ranked by Law Street Media - Law Street (TM)

$185,000 median home price.

Maine home prices rise but lag region - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Wow, it sure seems like a state in crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 08:25 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Maine is a gorgeous state, but winter starts around the end of July and goes through June.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:39 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Is the population decreasing, and steadily? I don't know nor do I care to because I really like Maine but if it is then what's the issue?

If it is decreasing, despite all its attributes you listed, there must be a reason for it. One may be weather, maybe that it's kind of far from major cities. It's a beautiful, beautiful state but I personally would not want to live there. It's called "vacationland" for a reason.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:59 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Kind of ironic that the NYT says anything about a dwindling population of Maine, but ignores the dying cities in New York.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:07 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Kind of ironic that the NYT says anything about a dwindling population of Maine, but ignores the dying cities in New York.
New York and Maine both have negative net migration.

Are you seriously arguing that you can not talk about net migration of one state without talking about it in all States ??????

Old 09-18-2016, 09:30 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
I will be retiring to Maine, may move there earlier if at all possible. The town where I am going is in the most eastern point of the state, the area is economically depressed and jobs are scarce but it's remote and has scenery like no other. My biggest reason is the unbearable amount of sprawl where I am now.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:46 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
New York and Maine both have negative net migration.

Are you seriously arguing that you can not talk about net migration of one state without talking about it in all States ??????
It seems rather hypocritical for a New York publication to focus on net negative migration of another state. Perhaps they should look at their own problems. Rather than rant and rave about a state considering restrictions of importation of uneducated, violent individuals from a violent, primitive culture unlike anything existing in the state.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:52 PM

105 posts, read 90,667 times
Population decrease isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Like Russia, population decreases but economy keeps on growing.

And countries like Nigeria and Afghanistan, such fast population increase is giving them lot of troubles. I seriously don't even know how they deal with housing and food distribution that that kind of population increase.

I don't know about you, but if you ask me, I would rather live in Russia than Nigeria or Afghanistan.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:52 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
The lefties just loathe our awesome governor, who is not afraid to hammer them, full stop.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:07 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It seems rather hypocritical for a New York publication to focus on net negative migration of another state. Perhaps they should look at their own problems. Rather than rant and rave about a state considering restrictions of importation of uneducated, violent individuals from a violent, primitive culture unlike anything existing in the state.
It would only be hypocritical if the NYT's claimed New York's problem didnt matter, but Maine's did. That doesnt seem to be the case.

Further more, the NY Times is the 17th most read paper in the world. it doesnt just cover local issues, it covers the US and global issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies