Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 11:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
By the time students are tested on the ACT, SAT, etc., in high school, it's too late. At that point, the damage of years of inferior education has already been done, as I explained in my example. And that was a high-income Chicago suburb.

All those kids who couldn't get into UIUC because their test scores were too low... And believe me, there were plenty of parents writing letters to the newspapers complaining about that. They couldn't understand why their kids weren't educated well enough to be accepted at their alma mater.
UIUS has an undergrad student population of 33,000. Obviously 33,000 students performed better than some legacy, who did not.

Where were the 33,000 who were accepted, go to high school?

What did the 33,000 who were accepted do differently than those declined?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Why do you believe ineffective schools shouldn't be defunded? Medicare reduces payments to hospitals that have insufficient quality of care measurements.

Nearly 1,500 Hospitals Penalized Under Medicare Program Rating Quality | Kaiser Health News
What's the key differences between a highly effective school was one that is woefully ineffective based on student performance?

Take a look at what's going on ( or not) in the homes of students in the so called worst schools.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
It's not the hospitals' fault people overate, didn't exercise, smoked, etc., and died at the hospital from cardiac arrest. But guess what happens when they do? The hospital gets dinged. Democrats deliberately put that into Obamacare.

I strongly suggest school vouchers and choice. Those who give a damn about pursuing a better education can choose better schools and won't continue to be dragged down by those who don't. Schools will continue to receive education funding for those who attend.

And I'm not just talking about other students when I say "those who don't give a damn." There are lax school administrators and teachers, as well, like in the example I gave.
I cannot fathom how school vouchers/ choice would work.

Elementary? middle? highschool?

Choice within a district? a city? a state? Across states?

How do students get to/ from the school of choice?

Seems to me the so call best schools would be inundated with more students than capacity? Then what? Lottery?

Family chose to live a block from the local school so they could easily walk to school. Lottery determined your kids have to go elsewhere. Now what?

Seems to me a voucher thing is the great equalizer, not necessarily a bad thing despite that many parents prefer their children to attend schools with similar students.

Property taxes are the primary source of public school funding. Some communities choose to spend more, a lot more, on education than others. How do you determine the value of a voucher? If the voucher is not equal to the per pupil cost, then what?

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 09-20-2016 at 12:04 AM..

Old 09-20-2016, 03:44 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
UIUS has an undergrad student population of 33,000. Obviously 33,000 students performed better than some legacy, who did not.

Where were the 33,000 who were accepted, go to high school?

What did the 33,000 who were accepted do differently than those declined?
The problem was uncompetitive test scores. Read the Daily Herald chart I posted.

https://prev.dailyherald.com/package.../chapter10.htm

UIUC, as the state flagship university, is difficult to get into with an ACT score of less than the 30-32 range (out of 36 max) unless one is an under-represented minority (not Asian) or has some other kind of "hook." UW-Madison is much the same in that regard.

The ACT College Readiness scores are in the 21-23 range. When a high school in a supposedly "good" school district only has about 30% of their graduating seniors earning those comparatively lowish scores or above in the tested subjects, a lot of them are NOT going to be accepted.

Believe me, the school's college readiness score revelation was a BIG shock to many. Parents were really angry.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:53 AM

For anyone looking at colleges for their kids or whatever, College Confidential has discussion forums on many colleges/universities. Every admissions season, there are threads in which posters say whether they got in or not, and what their stats were. It's eye-opening, to say the least.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:07 AM

Quote:
schools would be inundated with more students than capacity? Then what? Lottery?
I agree, but doesn't that then sound to you like we need many more, more academically challenging schools?

Quote:
Family chose to live a block from the local school so they could easily walk to school. Lottery determined your kids have to go elsewhere. Now what?
I would tell anyone to carefully inform themselves before deciding where to live. Many think their local public school is better than it really is. See the Daily Herald chart I posted.

Quote:
Seems to me a voucher thing is the great equalizer, not necessarily a bad thing despite that many parents prefer their children to attend schools with similar students.

Property taxes are the primary source of public school funding. Some communities choose to spend more, a lot more, on education than others. How do you determine the value of a voucher? If the voucher is not equal to the per pupil cost, then what?
Let the money follow the student. If the community spends a lot on its schools, don't you think they should be academically challenging enough that students and their families shouldn't even want to go elsewhere for a better education?

The Daily Herald chart I posted shows the prior 11-year education cost total per student in the first column.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:33 AM

The background article on the chart, in part:
Quote:
"It's pretty horrifying," said Jennifer Presley, who has studied the issue of college readiness for the Illinois Education Research Council at Southern Illinois University. "We've turned graduating from high school into an almost meaningless benchmark for people, and you're seeing that in the data."

Local community colleges say they're seeing it in the number of incoming kids -- about half -- who must take at least one remedial class before they can take freshman classes.

And employers say they're seeing it on the job, as applicants who aren't ready for college increasingly aren't ready for work either.
Chapter 10: Only 1 in 5 Illinois high school graduates are ready for college... or work -- Daily Herald

It's important to note that the ACT Benchmarks also measure readiness for work, for those not planning to attend college.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:56 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
I cannot fathom how school vouchers/ choice would work.

Elementary? middle? highschool?

Choice within a district? a city? a state? Across states?

How do students get to/ from the school of choice?

Seems to me the so call best schools would be inundated with more students than capacity? Then what? Lottery?

Lee County, Florida has a school lottery.
Student Assignment Open Enrollment - Lee County School District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies