Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 01:28 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Ever hear the old Irish ballad, "Jonny we hardly knew ya." One refrain is:

"Ya haven't an arm and ya haven't a leg.
You're fit to be put with a bowl to beg.
Jonny we hardly knew ya."

Our returning veterans are treated much the same. Yeah, Jonny we hardly knew ya!

Fortunately I returned from the Mekong River Cruises with my arms, legs and anger intact. A lot of us came back in plastic bags or wrapped in bandages. The world I came back to, except for my wife's family that also had a man in 'Nam (helicopter pilot for the 7th Air Cav), couldn't have cared less.

As always those that make the money or protect their wealth like the Oil Barons of Huston and Wall Street never have to do any of the fighting and dying. That is for the lesser people that do not have the money or breeding to avoid the sharp part. Talk about the special snowflakes.

Yeah, I resent the way I was treated by the folks that stayed home. I resent even more the current bunch wasting our soldiers and our money trying to save the billionaires oil investments. To Hell with them and to Hell with the Middle East. That is no more our fight than protecting France's Rubber trees in 'Nam.
Bang on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 01:37 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Sadly, Trump alone cannot fix the last 8 years of destruction of the Obama regime. Even if Ronald Regan came back form he grave and won this election. I doubt he would fix the damage, nor any great leader. This is going to take decades, not years. It has to start now if our children are going to have a chance in the future.
What "destruction" would that be? As Greg points out, it was Bush who manufactured a war that killed thousands of Americans and tens of thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians. We earned the global reputation of being a warmongering country - and that's what our ALLIES thought of us, never mind our enemies.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:54 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
One thing that I've seen over the last few years, is the real angry spirit that has dominated us! Now, don't get me wrong. There's always been anger. But I'm noticing that these days, the anger is pure emotion, but without wisdom, intellect or thought!

There are no longer intellectual debates. For example, The Noam Chomskys v. Bill Buckleys just don't exist, anymore! An intellectual debate of, say, the New Deal v. the Regan Revolution, just doesn't happen on an educational, intellectual level.

And another thing: Politics were NEVER personal! One respected the other person's opinion, despite the difference. Now, it seems like we engage in personal name-calling, and want to kill each other for differences!

Old 09-21-2016, 03:22 PM

91 posts, read 119,653 times
No it's not the same America!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs

Old 09-21-2016, 03:45 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
...that liberated Europe?
...that had a major part in defeating Nazi Germany?
...that liberated the Philippines and china?
...that sacrificed its sons and daughters to rescue the world?

Still the country of heros? Or has it become a place full of cowards and people of no scruples?

No!! It isn't the same country it was 30 years ago. The liberals and their policies have ruined that country.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Consider this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
No!! It isn't the same country it was 30 years ago. The liberals and their policies have ruined that country.

Over the past 30 years, the GOP has held:

The White House for 14 years
Congress for 18 years
Most state governors
Most state legislatures
Until this past February, they had a majority of the supreme court

So, can you explain how this all-powerful "liberal agenda" has dominated the scene?

Old 09-22-2016, 08:19 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Over the past 30 years, the GOP has held:

The White House for 14 years
Congress for 18 years
Most state governors
Most state legislatures
Until this past February, they had a majority of the supreme court

So, can you explain how this all-powerful "liberal agenda" has dominated the scene?
Probably referring to the 24/7 media and rise of spectator sport politics and commentators.
Then the effect in education, not just university level but down to HS and earlier grades. The latter especially has a outward flowing effect as generation begets generation with new levels of understanding.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:44 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Probably referring to the 24/7 media and rise of spectator sport politics and commentators.
Then the effect in education, not just university level but down to HS and earlier grades. The latter especially has a outward flowing effect as generation begets generation with new levels of understanding.

Ok, so maybe you can explain how, with the GOP in the position of power, they've been helpless against the relentless advance of the "liberal agenda."

Because they've been carping about it for decades and it looks like all they've come up with are:

1) bathroom laws

2) voter suppression

-and-

3) tax cuts/trickle-down/deregulation (and we've all seen what an economic disaster that's been)

Old 09-22-2016, 08:45 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
No

... in some ways that's very bad.
... in other ways that is very very good.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:12 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Ok, so maybe you can explain how, with the GOP in the position of power, they've been helpless against the relentless advance of the "liberal agenda."

Because they've been carping about it for decades and it looks like all they've come up with are:

1) bathroom laws

2) voter suppression

-and-

3) tax cuts/trickle-down/deregulation (and we've all seen what an economic disaster that's been)
GOP agenda to me is one of promoting business not controlling individual thought and action or subsidizing a social safety net as the other folks do. Although the former did have a role with the Moral Majority of I think the late 80s, early 90s.

The spread in academia down to the early grades probably the more pronounced as that effects and shapes everyday lives. Most folks ignore politicians I would think unless their actions affect their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies