Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 01:53 PM

20,410 posts, read 12,328,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

just because you can link to a story doesn't change anything. if the police wait as long as you want them to, its too late.

I fully agree that de-escalation training is vital. I fully agree that police departments have gone to a more aggressive stance and trained their officers in a direction that leads to more confrontation.

I know that in department that train in de-escalation, they have better results with fewer violent confrontations.

It also leads to less crime and greater trust in the communities where criminal activity is highest.

Further, I believe THIS is the real issue and needs to be the focus of attention.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I noted long ago that people were being bused in. I also noted that I do not support those who get bused in that commit violence BUT I also understand that this is not just about Charlotte.
if you support Progressive organizations bussing in PAID protestors at all, then you are on the wrong side of the issue.

They aren't doing this out of a since of injustice. they are doing this to insure black people vote for Hillary. period.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've had a couple of traffic stops in my day, and they always run the plates. It's standard procedure. If I'd had charges, they'd show.

If people are just out to randomly kill other people, there are easier ways than becoming a cop first and putting your own life at risk every day.
I've never made that accusation.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:00 PM

6,747 posts, read 13,958,998 times
The video does not prove if there was a gun or not. It is clear that the police felt he had a gun (keep shouting at him to drop the weapon) and it is also clear the wife did not believe he had a gun (she calmly said he was not armed). Secondly the wife said he had TBI and her lawyer said the victim seemed confused when he exited the truck which make one wonder what was his mindset when get got of the truck. Sounds to me he was confused individual and clearly did not understand what was going on. I'm not saying who was wrong or who was right but I can see both sides of the story here. This shooting is starting to sound like a tragic accident to me. For me the focus now is can they trace the gun. Were does that trail lead and were does it end.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
just because you can link to a story doesn't change anything. if the police wait as long as you want them to, its too late.

I fully agree that de-escalation training is vital. I fully agree that police departments have gone to a more aggressive stance and trained their officers in a direction that leads to more confrontation.
In the big picture this is what I'm saying. Four officers standing with their guns pointed at a distraught individuals only escalates the situation.

Quote:
I know that in department that train in de-escalation, they have better results with fewer violent confrontations.

It also leads to less crime and greater trust in the communities where criminal activity is highest.

Further, I believe THIS is the real issue and needs to be the focus of attention.
I believe we are failing in our training. I've even said that if the result of better training is higher paid officers, I support that.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
if you support Progressive organizations bussing in PAID protestors at all, then you are on the wrong side of the issue.
This actually says a lot. Did you feel the same when people came from outside the area to support Bundy?

Quote:
They aren't doing this out of a since of injustice. they are doing this to insure black people vote for Hillary. period.
It's backfiring if that was their goal and people's lives are far more important than a stupid election anyway.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
In the big picture this is what I'm saying. Four officers standing with their guns pointed at a distraught individuals only escalates the situation.

I believe we are failing in our training. I've even said that if the result of better training is higher paid officers, I support that.
some places are starting to get it.

you should google Dallas PD de-escalation training. Dallas has really done a solid job.
2009 excessive force complaints 149
2015 13

70 officers fired for not being able to live by new procedures.

crime has fallen over that period.

There are areas where all of us can find common ground. Even if we see these issues from different perspectives.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:06 PM

6,747 posts, read 13,958,998 times
Quote:

I agree with this. The issue here for me is if de-escalation procedures should have been used. Was he a immediate threat to himself or others. Should they have considered the wife's comments and backed off. There are alot of if's and maybes in this case.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
This actually says a lot. Did you feel the same when people came from outside the area to support Bundy?

It's backfiring if that was their goal and people's lives are far more important than a stupid election anyway.
Every single person who came to support the Bundies were idiots. I said that on this forum. THEN.

It is an injustice to everyone when some super rich people PAY protestors to shape political thinking. that's evil if you ask me. I don't care who the payer is.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:07 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,448,837 times
For certain groups in the USA, ISIS is less of a problem than the militarized and murderous police. What good is all that training in de-escalation when cops have one mission: engage and kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies