Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2016, 12:28 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,462,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
They saw him smoking weed in his car and decided they had more important things to worry about. But then they saw it in his hands and regrouped to investigate him. If he hadn't acted so foolishly (I'll concede that his brain injury, medication and/or stoned condition might have affected his judgement) he would have faced a minor marijuana charge and a gun charge.

He's a convicted felon who pointed a gun at police before.

A "minor marijuana charge" would be a trip back to jail for breaking parole.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:38 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,182,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
He's a convicted felon who pointed a gun at police before.

A "minor marijuana charge" would be a trip back to jail for breaking parole.
His prison sentence ended many years ago. He might not have even been on parole.

Minus the gun, many states would only issue a citation for a tiny amount of weed.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:13 PM

56,990 posts, read 25,952,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Your boss, in one of these situations, is the police officer. Whatever screwy laws they have in other states; I would still consider myself lucky if I had a verbal command to drop my weapon and I would comply. This has been a long thread. I have shown pictures of how trained quick draw experts can take out five balloons in less than one second and another posted that a self-defense trainer points out that you are dead if you allow the perpetrator to turn their attention in your direction.

All of the speculation in this thread has been speculation. We do have better evidence/information than when we started. More will eventually surface. But we were not there and our survival would not necessarily be a given.

On the surface, as of right now; it looks as if the protestors had nothing to protest. We have to move away from this 'lynch mob' mentality - which I thought we did many years ago. We already have a second Black man shot by a Black protestor - doesn't his life matter?

You could also be shot by a police officer for having a gun in your hand under certain circumstances, if someone turns toward you with a gun are you going to wait. Split second decision and it better be the right one, just arguing that it does complicate the situation.

There was a prior shooting of an unarmed man by the police 3 years ago, maybe if that had not been the case this would have been viewed differently by the protestors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/29/us...-shooting.html

Old 09-27-2016, 01:43 PM

18,755 posts, read 18,029,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You could also be shot by a police officer for having a gun in your hand under certain circumstances, if someone turns toward you with a gun are you going to wait. Split second decision and it better be the right one, just arguing that it does complicate the situation.

There was a prior shooting of an unarmed man by the police 3 years ago, maybe if that had not been the case this would have been viewed differently by the protestors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/29/us...-shooting.html
I have never said that I wanted to justify, unjustified, police shootings. We are all human and we all make mistakes. I simply try to look at the big picture and what we really want to accomplish. Like I have previously stated; I think that it is more important than ever to be unified (White and Black). We are under economic attack from the special interest, big business, greed, one world government, you name it - we need each other. Automation is knocking at the door and is ready to replace many. Black unemployment has soared in many of our large cities: Black jobless rate often twice overall rate; National Urban League seeks to address it | cleveland.com. All of this sparks unrest and more demonstrations.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:44 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,462,460 times
Quote:
His prison sentence ended many years ago. He might not have even been on parole.

Minus the gun, many states would only issue a citation for a tiny amount of weed.
Ahh.

So you move goalpost again.

Just like those who said he had no gun, then video & photos are released showing that he did.

This speaks for itself.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:46 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,182,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Ahh.

So you move goalpost again.

Just like those who said he had no gun, then video & photos are released showing that he did.

This speaks for itself.
I have contended that it was a justifiable shoot all along.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:24 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,727,815 times
Quote:

The dude obviously has a history of making bad choices.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:12 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,756,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes I can understand caution if they were aware of his entire prior history.

According to the police reports they saw the gun on the first trip, how did they see it since he was in the car?
I don't if they were aware of his entire history, but in a press conference on Saturday the CMPD Chief said that officers were aware that it was unlawful for Scott to possess a gun. I presume they must have run his plate and then had at least enough access to his history to ascertain he was a convicted felon.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I don't if they were aware of his entire history, but in a press conference on Saturday the CMPD Chief said that officers were aware that it was unlawful for Scott to possess a gun. I presume they must have run his plate and then had at least enough access to his history to ascertain he was a convicted felon.
I didn't see the press conference but from what I have read they were not aware of his felony convictions, the statement by police didn't indicate that either. The formal statement by police was lacking some critical information

Old 09-27-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have never said that I wanted to justify, unjustified, police shootings. We are all human and we all make mistakes. I simply try to look at the big picture and what we really want to accomplish. Like I have previously stated; I think that it is more important than ever to be unified (White and Black). We are under economic attack from the special interest, big business, greed, one world government, you name it - we need each other. Automation is knocking at the door and is ready to replace many. Black unemployment has soared in many of our large cities: Black jobless rate often twice overall rate; National Urban League seeks to address it | cleveland.com. All of this sparks unrest and more demonstrations.
Agreed, I just think that in some communities there may be a history and they react differently. I don't know the details of Charlotte but places like Ferguson there is considerable hatred for good reason. Violent protests are not a solution but I can understand the anger, creating jobs would go a long way to solve some of the issues like you stated. Tulsa reacted completely differently and they had a riot in 1921 where white people killed 300 blacks, burned down churches yet they were quick to respond and address the recent killing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies