Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 04:29 PM

148 posts, read 137,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
The thing is about the OP is that this would be awesome if he actually cared about the responses. This is more of an attempt to put down black people via his line of questioning. That is the problem with many of these political forums and with the race issue in general. Many people aren't trying to have an open, honest, rational, and sensible dialog about the issue. Everyone is taking media stuff and running with it. And this thread is sad because of what it could be, but it probably won't be. The bottomline I'm not convinced that the OP has any real interest in how black people think, as he has already decided black people are thugs, and the "reasonable" black people are just enablers of thuggery. And it's not easily to have a dialog with someone who has basically made up their mind already.
Which is evident in the fact that several reasonable black people answered his questions and even asked questions of their own, but he has no interest in engaging anyone other than the one person who he deemed worthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 04:31 PM

1,071 posts, read 618,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Please try to explain some things to me.

Why do legitimate protests so often become violent riots, where looting and destroying your OWN COMMUNITY is becoming commonplace?

Why do so many protesters seem to mobilize immediately when a shooting involves police, yet the almost daily killings of young black men, and sometimes children, due to gang violence never seems to elicit anywhere near the same response?

Why, at this point, are parents, churches, and community groups not educating all black youths that you must COMPLY with the police completely if you are stopped. I know there are instances where compliance has still been met with excessive police force, and I want those cops held accountable, and prosecuted if evidence warrants it. But too many of these cases still show people not obeying the cops instructions. This incident in N Carolina involves a man being shot after getting out of his car WITH A GUN! How can you expect sympathy for your cause when you defend someone this STUPID?

Why, after so many years, do blacks still vote over 90% democratic, yet what have all these democrat politicians done to improve the lives of those in black communities? You accuse the GOP of not caring about the black vote, but why should they? If any particular candidate or official knows that there is no chance of black support no matter what they say or do, why should they waste their time?

Why do so many of you shout 'racism' at even the slightest instance of a white person disagreeing with you? For 8 yrs now, whenever someone who is white criticizes Obama, that person is called racist. It seems like you can't disagree with our president if you are white. I'm sure someone will call this post racist. Why, because I am being critical of blacks? The more you throw the word around, the less it means.

Why are some communities calling for more police protection, yet protest when those same police try to inforce the law?

Finally, how can you ignore the simple, statistical fact that the number of incarcerated blacks is way out of proportion to the overall black population? Do most of you really believe that the only reason for this is simply discrimination by police and the courts all across the country? Are the majority of these incarcerated individuals innocent?
Good questions

Old 09-22-2016, 04:37 PM

1,071 posts, read 618,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskin View Post
1. Frustration builds up and eventually boils over. Keep in mind that these are less educated black people in poverty stricken areas, and a lot of whom feel as though there is no suitable outlet for their frustrations whether you view them as legitimate or not.

2. Non gang members in the Aa community loathe gangs. But gangs aren't given the authority that officers of the law are. That makes their discriminatory practices unacceptable.

3. As a young black male I feel as though I have been targeted unfairly by the police several times. We all have or have a close relationship with someone who has. We can relate and understand that our particular situations could have easily escalated through no or very little fault of our own. Also, police narratives are often misleading or downright false.

4. We vote democrat not because we have inherent belief in the party. We do because we know a disproportionate percentage of blacks live in poverty. We want the youth in poverty to have a chance to succeed even if the parent is a lost cause. If a child goes to bed hungry one night, he/she will stretch or ignore morals the next night for a meal. Also parents political beliefs are often passed to their offspring (civil rights act) Plus the alternative has given us no reason to rethink any of this. I could go on.

5. I think this is overstated, but with that in mind we perceive situations differently because we've had different experiences. I don't have esp but I do believe that there are a lot of people who are inherently racist and a majority of them don't realize it. Thus they get offended when called on it because they honestly believe it doesn't apply.

6. We want to be safe yet not discriminated against or targeted.

7. Not that simple. We are more prone to gravitate toward crime when positive opportunities are scarce. And eventually when you hear a particular narrative for so long you may start to believe it and the situation becomes a perpetual downward spiral. But alas yes whites are more likely to commit particular crimes and are punished less severely if/when they are caught. Because we are all need profiled by officers whether you choose to believe it or not.

Good reply

Old 09-22-2016, 11:07 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,271,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Reasonable black person here

1 - I have never been involved in a riot or looting. A majority of black Americans have not so I could not answer this for those who choose to loot and riot.

2 - There are many more protests and marches and mobilizations regarding street violence in every major urban area where there is a substantial black population. There are more organizations and activities regarding street/neighborhood violence versus the riots and looting you see on TV and on the internet. Those rallies and marches are usually peaceful and so are not "sexy" enough to be broadcast to you just like there are daily marches and rallies as well over police reform that never turn violent and you don't know about it because the news doesn't show them. I actually have been involved in many rallies to "stop the violence" in my life in black neighborhoods in every city I have lived in. Black people have worked a lot to decrease street violence, in conjunction with police mind you, and this is one of the man reasons why crime is now at an all time low amongst the black demographic nationally and in many urban areas across the country.

3 - Black people already do this. I have a black son. I have told him to always comply with officers and even if they beat him up to not hit them back and take the beating. We will sue them later. This is common stuff for black parents and churches and school teachers/administrators and community leaders to share with black youth.

4 - You can search the many threads about why black people vote the way they do on this forum. I will point out that I am an independent and subscribe to no party due to the fact that both parties aren't all that great. However, I will note that in presidential elections I usually vote for the Dem candidate and I will this year because the GOP always seems to put some poor candidate on the ticket and this year was the worse yet. If you would have nominated Kasich, I would have voted for him over Clinton due to me being from Ohio and liking him for the most part. I voted for him in the last governor's election as did nearly 30% of black voters in Ohio. I also vote for many different candidates on the local level and I feel local politics is more important than national politics. I voted for an independent in our last mayoral election but he didn't win. Also, I don't think politics has all that much to do with our personal lives and fact of the matter is that a majority of black people in our personal lives are doing well especially compared to the pre-Civil Rights era. I'll also add that black people can vote for whoever they feel best represents their interests.

5 - Seems like that is a personal question. I only call someone a racist who exhibits that they view a group of people based on ethnicity as being inferior or superior to another group. However, I will note that I do feel that many of the issues people have with Obama are built on internal racism. I also do feel that in some instances black people are victims of "soft" racism and that racism is still an issue for the black demographic. I'll also note that this fact - that racism is an issue for black Americans, and the ignoring of racism by the conservative right is a reason why black people vote for the Democratic party in large numbers in regards to #4.

6 - Most urban areas want "better" police protection. Better means that you have officers who are trained well and who do not kill unarmed, non-criminal individuals. Wanting better police and wanting reform of policing is not the same thing as not wanting police. I have worked (via the many organizations I have been involved in regarding black neighborhoods) with scores of police officers and I do believe that police organizations understand that this is what black people want - better policing and not to treat those of use who are law abiding as criminals.

7 - Black people do not deny crime rates/statistics. However, I personally view them from the whole perspective. Over 97% of black people are not criminals. Over 98% of black people are not in prison. However, I will go back to #5 and #4 in that I do believe that racism is an issue that affects black Americans and racism and racial bias are indeed an issue in our criminal justice system and it does affect black people being stopped/questioned more often by police, which in turn means that black people are more apt to be charged with a crime, whereas due to a more positive bias of whites, they are not stopped as often in cars or on foot in particular so are not charged as much as they should be. That is evidence of racism and racial bias in our criminal justice system. Ironically it is interesting that you feel black people ignore statistics when in actuality black people are the main ones who want to keep the separate demographics in crime statistics to both track crime trends and if they are decreasing/increasing in black neighborhoods and to track how law enforcement is treating minorities versus the white population.
You definitely raise points of view that I find very thought provoking.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:19 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,271,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
The thing is about the OP is that this would be awesome if he actually cared about the responses. This is more of an attempt to put down black people via his line of questioning. That is the problem with many of these political forums and with the race issue in general. Many people aren't trying to have an open, honest, rational, and sensible dialog about the issue. Everyone is taking media stuff and running with it. And this thread is sad because of what it could be, but it probably won't be. The bottomline I'm not convinced that the OP has any real interest in how black people think, as he has already decided black people are thugs, and the "reasonable" black people are just enablers of thuggery. And it's not easily to have a dialog with someone who has basically made up their mind already.
Seems like you have already made up YOUR mind about me.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:39 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,826,567 times
All I see is some form of "as a black person, I'm a productive, upstanding citizen, but as far as blacks committing crime, being a public nuisance and rioting etc it's all the fault of WHITE RACISM".

We're not so bad but for white racism.

That's all you'll ever get. You can take that to the bank.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:09 AM

371 posts, read 424,068 times
I'm not going to read your post because it's racist that you are saying reasonable thinking, which implies that most are not reasonable thinking. You're a racist or a coon (if black) and you don't have permission to speak to me or any black person until you admit that you were born into a racist society that imbued you with racist ideas from birth and you are actively working to unlearn it.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:13 AM

371 posts, read 424,068 times
Obama, that person is called racist. It seems like you can't disagree with our president if you are white. I'm sure someone will call this post racist. Why, because I am being critical of blacks? The more you throw the word around, the less it means.

You are a racist and it's the job of a white ally to tell you why you are a racist not other black people. Go pick up a history book or google post traumatic slave syndrome. All white people are racist we don't just throw the word around. All white people are racist until they can unlearn the white supremacist teachings taught to them by birth.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:24 AM

14,646 posts, read 14,554,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
I'm not going to read your post because it's racist that you are saying reasonable thinking, which implies that most are not reasonable thinking. You're a racist or a coon (if black) and you don't have permission to speak to me or any black person until you admit that you were born into a racist society that imbued you with racist ideas from birth and you are actively working to unlearn it.
Exactly, the title alone speaks of the agenda, not worthy of a response. As usual they focus on the protest itself and not the subject of the unrest.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,772,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Seems like you have already made up YOUR mind about me.
You are the one who started the thread and branh did have a point.

Also, many of us proposed questions of you and you did not respond. He actually did respond to your questions, as did I and I posed additional questions back to you in a second post.

The main one being - why do you think that "reasonable" black people would be doing the things that you questioned (rioting/looting, not raising our kids correctly, "whining" about racism against Obama, etc.)?

And do you think that a majority of black people are "unreasonable?"

Your thread has mixed meanings and maybe you are not aware, but it reeks of you viewing a majority of black people as "unreasonable" and participating/approving of crime (in regards to rioting/looting) and in not being good parents of our children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies