Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2016, 05:41 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,361,069 times

Advertisements

And wallets, cell phones, change for the meter, underwear adjustment, cigarette lighter, tighten belt while walking shall I go on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 05:42 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,980,378 times
Its proven to stop thousands of Murders. The numbers don't lie.

Oh but everything is hunky dory as democrats would you have believe. Nevermind.

Its "unconstitutional". A document written by men who rarely bathed and believed in witches

Old 09-28-2016, 05:58 PM

88,930 posts, read 44,757,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Why did they disregard the population stats?
You misunderstand. The judge disregarded the crime percentage stats. I asked why.

Quote:
As to "grabbing something at their waist," last I checked it's still legal to reach for your pockets in the United States. Or adjust your belt. Or move your hands. The police don't get to presume that everyone is a criminal.
Those were all included as not acceptable reasons. The act that I'm specifically talking about is grabbing at something at their waist. Criminals frequently tuck weapons in waistbands. That's just the way it is. That's why Tamir Rice was shot... grabbing at the weapon in his waistband while advancing towards the squad car.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:24 AM

3,570 posts, read 2,517,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You misunderstand. The judge disregarded the crime percentage stats. I asked why.

Those were all included as not acceptable reasons. The act that I'm specifically talking about is grabbing at something at their waist. Criminals frequently tuck weapons in waistbands. That's just the way it is. That's why Tamir Rice was shot... grabbing at the weapon in his waistband while advancing towards the squad car.
I understand perfectly well what you meant. You don't understand what I wrote. Every single stop by a police officer has to be justified under the 4th Amendment. Not 1/100, not 1/10. Every single one. So you can't use the percentage of crimes committed by a race to justify stopping someone because of their race. Even if it were relevant, the correct percentage to look at would be what percentage of the race commits a crime (a tiny percentage for all races), not what percentage of crimes are committed by that race.

Every stop needs a reasonable suspicion that the detainee is involved in criminal activity. The reasonable suspicion can't be a hunch--there need to be specific facts the officer can articulate that justify the suspicion. Without reasonable suspicion, the stop is unlawful.

An American is entitled to grab at his or her waistband. As long as the 4th Amendment exists, we are not, at law, a police state. That you think grabbing at your waistband is a sign of criminality is insane.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:05 PM

37,948 posts, read 17,844,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
That logic is a stretch.
It a stretch to the uninformed.

You don't think we intervene in other nations civil wars? What do you think the four Americans that got killed in Benghazi was about?

Or is it that you don't think people are going to retaliate because our government has killed everything they love?

There is no logic in your silly post. And to answer my own question to you. NO it's not sinking in and you don't get it.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:28 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
And people wonder why the police are disliked.......

Old 09-29-2016, 06:45 PM

46,947 posts, read 25,950,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why?
Not easy to sum that up in a soundbite, but essentially: 98% of those subjected to stop-and-frisk were perfectly innocent. In other words, you're disproportionately violating the integrity and privacy of a huge majority of honest non-white citizens based on the behavior of a very small minority. That's not in line with American legal principles.

The full reasoning is outlined in the judge's finding. Good reading. I'd drop in a link, but real life beckons.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I understand perfectly well what you meant. You don't understand what I wrote. Every single stop by a police officer has to be justified under the 4th Amendment. Not 1/100, not 1/10. Every single one.
BS. SCOTUS upheld DUI roadblocks.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Not easy to sum that up in a soundbite, but essentially: 98% of those subjected to stop-and-frisk were perfectly innocent.
SCOTUS ruled DUI roadblocks to be Constitutional. How many of those are innocent?

Old 09-30-2016, 07:05 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,130,613 times
The thing about stop and frisk is that the cops would only find something on maybe 5 out of every 100 people they searched, but the sad reality is that usually its maybe 3-5 out of every 100 people that commit the awful crimes that we hear about in the communities as well too, so technically, they might be actually getting gun out of the hands of a bad person and potentially stopping a future crime at the expense of 95 innocent people.

But my beef with stop and frisk is that NYPD would literally group ANY black man as a potential criminal and you can usually tell by appearance who is the average joe that goes to work and pays their taxes and usually causes no problems vs street thugs. Appearance matters, as Person A in a suit, business causal or Polo & jeans is far less likely to be searched than Person B with a XL long tshirt and super baggy jeans falling off or currently sagging skinny jeans, but NYPD seemed to see no difference between person A & B at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies