Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 11:53 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
What backstop do you refer to?

The ONE that was kicked out of the house of commons with the biggest defeat in parliamentary history?
ETA:

This is from another thread going on in the UK forum...

Quote:

Quote:
<paraphrase>Confused statement about UK accepting the wiithdrawal agreement by Theresa May</paraphrase>
She could never accept it alone. She may have accepted in principal, but cannot officially.

Here's how it works.

You go negotiate a deal (treaty, plan, whatever) with another international power.

Once that's complete it becomes a bill, that's read in the house. Then voted on. If the votes for exceed against it enters the lords, if they agree, it's passed in front of the monarch, who has veto power. If votes against exceed votes for it will be renegotiated or scrapped.

The UK has never accepted a withdrawal agreement with the EU, so how could anyone renege?

I don't even know how you could think this, as an American it doesn't even work like that in the US.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:58 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
BREXIT will still be going on in the next century.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:22 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
I am under the impression that a major factor in the voting on Brexit was to limit immigration from some countries in Europe.

How will that work with an open Irish border?

Old 01-31-2019, 02:27 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The US exports $501 Billion to the EU every year under WTO Rukes, with no problems at any borders, China does the same, as do lots of other countries.

Once again -

There isn't going to be a hard border in Ireland in any circumstances whilst "according to the Department for Transport, 94 percent of trade and traffic passing through UK ports moves through ports other than Dover. The perceived problems our ports are facing are often overstated, and in some cases unfounded".

There are 120 commercial seaports in the UK.

There are also numerous ports in Europe where goods can be handled, indeed trhere is no need for any problems at all, it's just an EU strategy. Do you think the $501 Billion worth of US goods exported to the EU are somehow held up at ports for days. No they are in and out of Rotterdam in hours. The US doesn't have a free trade agreement with the EU, neither does China and lots of other countries.

Project Fear seems to have forgotten that Britain is a maritime nation and an island full of ports, and we also have numerous airports and more airfielfds than you can imagine largely due to WW2 and the Cold War. Vast numbers of Ships come in to the UK from across theentire world every single day, with numerous goods and even more will be encouraged after we leave the EU and start trading more freely with other nations.

Why Brexit could be a boom time for Britain's ports | The Spectator

England's northern ports look to prosper from Brexit - The Straits Times

Supercharged ports can close North-South divide post-Brexit | Mace

Are free ports the future? - BBC News

Brexit: 'Free ports' urged to boost Welsh economy - BBC News
There will be no restrictions on immigration coming through Ireland?

Old 01-31-2019, 02:54 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I wish I had counted the number of times BNW has posted the exact same information, even down to the exact same links.

Not to worry BNW, it's all good. In less than two months, the money will start flowing in and the UK economy and pound will quit dropping.

And all those folks worrying about the log jam at the ports are just trying to scare folks.

Forward ever.

The UK had more foreign direct investment last year than any other EU country and the second highest in the world just behind China.
There's quite a lot of investment flowing in now thanks very much.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:11 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I am under the impression that a major factor in the voting on Brexit was to limit immigration from some countries in Europe.

Maybe they will need to build - wait for it.... - a wall to keep out the Irish invaders!

Old 01-31-2019, 03:24 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
What backstop do you refer to?

The ONE that was kicked out of the house of commons with the biggest defeat in parliamentary history?
You really don't seem to understand the point being made by asking that question.

Of course that's it.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:25 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There will be no restrictions on immigration coming through Ireland?
'

Correct. The EU Backstop means that Northern Ireland remains inside the EU Customs Union, NOT under UK control. The EU won't deal without it.

The UK Parliament has now finally rejected that.

Impasse.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:37 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

I gather that the U.K. provides generous social benefits e.g. public housing which has attracted many of these EU immigrants. Illegal immigrants on the other hand would not be entitled to these benefits as well as (presumably) not being entitled to certain rights (right to work?) afforded to legal residents.

I assume that would make another country in continental Europe a more attractive destination post-Brexit.

Edited to add: 2 or 3 years ago I read an article about a Polish newspaper which printed a multi page pull-out of the various social benefits in the U.K. and how to access them as a resident.

I assume (again) that under EU rules that the U.K. is forced to provide the same benefits to immigrants from other EU countries as it does to its own citizens.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I’m wrong.

Last edited by cdnirene; 01-31-2019 at 04:50 PM..

Old 01-31-2019, 06:51 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I gather that the U.K. provides generous social benefits e.g. public housing which has attracted many of these EU immigrants. Illegal immigrants on the other hand would not be entitled to these benefits as well as (presumably) not being entitled to certain rights (right to work?) afforded to legal residents.

I assume that would make another country in continental Europe a more attractive destination post-Brexit.

Edited to add: 2 or 3 years ago I read an article about a Polish newspaper which printed a multi page pull-out of the various social benefits in the U.K. and how to access them as a resident.

I assume (again) that under EU rules that the U.K. is forced to provide the same benefits to immigrants from other EU countries as it does to its own citizens.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I’m wrong.
Well I will freely suggest you are wrong. Jobs attract the immigrants. And jobs are what causes the backlash from the British working class. As long as there is reasonably paid work they will come.

We go through this all the time in the US. But in fact it is clear that social benefits are quite secondary. They come for the money from employment. Not social benefits.

Not suggesting they will not take advantage of available social benefits. But they do not come for them.

And even if declared illegal they will come and in fact they may well establish a whole job black market as the illegal aliens do in the US. And that leaves the Brits with a new problem of a subterranean economy like Greece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies