Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2019, 01:58 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
So Britain is going to set up immigration control between two English communities? I can just see DUP agreeing to that.

Going to do checkpoints between Scotland and England as well?
Yes, there will be immigration controls between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK. Folks flying into England have immigration controls. There are two gates when you return to England from abroad. EU residents one says, and the other non EU residents.

I guess from Northern Ireland, after Brexit, the two gates will say UK residents, and the other Non UK residents. You will need a visa before you are allowed on a plane from Northern Ireland, or a boat, if you don't have a UK passport.

Scotland are leaving the EU along with the rest of the UK.

You really believe thinking about immigration from Ireland won't have been discussed, and preparations made?

Old 02-01-2019, 03:24 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Since the UK firm that the government contracted with to provide ferry service has never been in that business before and doesn't own any ferries, one wonders about the preparations.

But it sounds like English Dave has it all figured out.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:31 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
So Britain is going to set up immigration control between two English communities? I can just see DUP agreeing to that.

Going to do checkpoints between Scotland and England as well?
They already rejected it.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:56 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
It's a complicated game of chess. The UK is going to blink with a "No Deal", just like Trump ending the Shutdown reluctantly.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Since the UK firm that the government contracted with to provide ferry service has never been in that business before and doesn't own any ferries, one wonders about the preparations.

But it sounds like English Dave has it all figured out.
I sure have. It's not difficult. We are an island. Folks can't just walk over the border. Easy peasy......

Old 02-01-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
It's a complicated game of chess. The UK is going to blink with a "No Deal", just like Trump ending the Shutdown reluctantly.
Keep waiting for that blink........ Tick tock.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:22 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The contest was not over the government shutdown, it was over the wall and whether we are going to secure our borders or not. Keep your eyes open around February 15, 2019, because that is when the winner of the contest between Trump and the Democrats on this matter is actually going to be decided.

As far as the UK blinking with "No deal," nearly everyone in the UK would prefer to have a deal, as long as it is a good deal for the UK. Any "deal" that leaves the UK as effectively a vassal state of the EU would be a bad deal. If the UK "blinks" to the extent that they accept a deal like that, then you will have been right in what you are saying.

However, if the EU agrees to a last minute deal that makes the backstop temporary in no uncertain terms, then there will indeed have been "blinking" on the way to a deal, but it will not have been the UK who did it. Rather, it will be the EU that blinked.

But considering the British may well be willing to pay the EU £39 billion and £8.7 Billion for every year the transition deal lasts which would be around two years, giving them £56 Billion ($73 billion), or something around these amounts, the EU has good reasons to make this concession. And they very well may do it.

I am not an expert in European affairs or Brexit, but it my sense that the way these sorts of negotiations with a hard deadline typically work, there is normally a lot of stalling and posturing, and of course fear mongering, and then at the last minute a deal is produced, with almost as much drama as a Hollywood movie ending.

That is normal for a deal like this. That is the USUAL way.

There is a pretty strong chance that it will play out that way here. But after the Brady Amendment vote, the one thing that is certain is that Theresa May does not have the authority to agree to a deal with the EU that has a permanent backstop in it. So any deal between the EU and the UK will reflect that, or there will almost certainly be Brexit with no deal.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The contest was not over the government shutdown, it was over the wall and whether we are going to secure our borders or not. Keep your eyes open around February 15, 2019, because that is when the winner of the contest between Trump and the Democrats on this matter is actually going to be decided.

As far as blinking with "No deal," nearly everyone in the UK would prefer to have a deal, as long as it is a good deal for the UK. Any "deal" that leaves the UK as effectively a vassal state of the EU would be a bad deal. If the UK "blinks" to that extent that they accept a deal like that, then you will have been right in what you are saying.

However, if the EU agrees to a last minute deal that makes the backstop temporary in no uncertain terms, then there will indeed have been "blinking" on the way to a deal, but it will not have been the UK who did it. Rather, it will be the EU that blinked.

But considering the British may well be willing to pay the EU £39 billion and £8.7 Billion for every year the transition deal lasts which would be around two years, giving them £56 Billion ($73 billion), or something around these amounts, the EU has good reasons to make this concession. And they very well may do it.

I am not an expert in European affairs or Brexit, but it my sense that the way these sorts of negotiations with a hard deadline typically work, there is normally a lot of stalling and posturing, and of course fear mongering, and then at the last minute, a deal is produced, almost with as much drama as a hollywood movie ending.

That is the USUAL way. And there is a pretty strong chance that it will play out that way here. But after the Brady Amendment vote, the one thing that is certain is that Theresa May does not have the authority to agree to a deal with the EU that has a permanent backstop in it. So any deal between the EU and the UK will reflect that, or there will almost certainly be Brexit with no deal.
Unlike most Americans here who haven't got a clue, you are on the money Spartacus..... We English are starting to drift into **** 'em mode. When we get into **** 'em mode, we start not to care about the damage we are going to do to ourselves. We start getting interested in the damage we can dish out.

If the EU want our money,and it's all about money in the end, the backstop has got to go. We're not going to sign on for it, and we don't care how much damage is caused by that fact.

I don't think the EU bureaucrats understand us. We are pissed off, and sick of them. We are sick to death of their crap, and are ready to bring the house down. Any British politician who blinks now, won't be forgotten when this is all over. We want out of the EU, and that's that......... end of story. We have had enough of their crap.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:05 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Unlike most Americans here who haven't got a clue, you are on the money Spartacus..... We English are starting to drift into **** 'em mode. When we get into **** 'em mode, we start not to care about the damage we are going to do to ourselves. We start getting interested in the damage we can dish out.

If the EU want our money,and it's all about money in the end, the backstop has got to go. We're not going to sign on for it, and we don't care how much damage is caused by that fact.

I don't think the EU bureaucrats understand us. We are pissed off, and sick of them. We are sick to death of their crap, and are ready to bring the house down. Any British politician who blinks now, won't be forgotten when this is all over. We want out of the EU, and that's that......... end of story. We have had enough of their crap.
I am not sure if I have got an accurate feel for this, but it is my sense that a substantial number of the Tories were looking for a way to cave on this over the last few weeks, prior to the Amendment votes on Tuesday.

And then they went home and talked to their constituents, who told them basically what you just said, except I imagine that it was said to these MP's in terms that were not nearly so polite. On top of that, these MP's sensed the mood of their constituents, that they are in a fighting crouch, and are MUCH less concerned about the fear of what comes next for them personally than they are about making sure they are not betrayed by their leaders.

Many of us feel like we are in a fight over here too, for the existence of our national soul. The Democrat leftists, who would see our daring 200+ year national experiment ended if it was left up to them, do not realize that they are dealing with adversaries who feel like they have been pushed right to ledge and have nothing else left to do but fight back with all we have.

Somehow, even after years of this now, they still do not understand us. How after all this time can so many of the leaders of the EU and the UK not understand you guys? When the EU leaders have their own version of you guys marching in the streets and making huge progress at the ballot boxes, despite every propaganda effort known to humanity (a number of which have been deployed for the first time ever during this series of conflicts) being launched against their adversaries among their own people?

I do not understand how these people - the obtuse, arrogant, reality ignorant, relentlessly dishonest establishment leftist types - do not understand us. How can they not after all this time? I believe we understand them very well. How is it possible they do not understand us?

Last edited by Spartacus713; 02-01-2019 at 05:23 PM..

Old 02-01-2019, 09:41 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Many of us feel like we are in a fight over here too, for the existence of our national soul. The Democrat leftists, who would see our daring 200+ year national experiment ended if it was left up to them, do not realize that they are dealing with adversaries who feel like they have been pushed right to ledge and have nothing else left to do but fight back with all we have.

Somehow, even after years of this now, they still do not understand us. How after all this time can so many of the leaders of the EU and the UK not understand you guys? When the EU leaders have their own version of you guys marching in the streets and making huge progress at the ballot boxes, despite every propaganda effort known to humanity (a number of which have been deployed for the first time ever during this series of conflicts) being launched against their adversaries among their own people?

I do not understand how these people - the obtuse, arrogant, reality ignorant, relentlessly dishonest establishment leftist types - do not understand us. How can they not after all this time? I believe we understand them very well. How is it possible they do not understand us?
Hopefully it comes across as no insult to point out, that your view is but one of many. And, while a considerable number of people, whether in the US or UK or elsewhere, might share your view, it does not follow that this number is the plurality, let alone the majority. The self-serving and mendacious nature political leadership (all leadership?) needs no explanation. But is it not possible, that if politicians were to listen to your concerns, and forthrightly act on them, then in so doing, they’d be dismissing other concerns – that is to say, potentially contrary concerns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies