Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 12:43 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Every time I watch a video on YouTube or read a Facebook article, its the same posters who often blame liberals for this and that. I was watching a video about the most states receiving California transplants and virtually all the comments were attacking liberals.

Usually I do not take anyone seriously who is quick to blame a situation on something or someone else in order to make it appear as if the answer is "simple" because its usually based out of ignorance.

With that being said I want to speak about liberal cities that have been destroyed (Detroit, St, Louis, Baltimore etc) and cities that are going through supply and demand issues affecting cost of living (LA, NYC, SF etc). I always considered the reason for the latter was the manufacturing companies who left these cities, and for the former I always figured that supply and demand and certain policies played a major part in the middle class fleeing. I have never really heard of an in demand conservative city to even compare.

So why is the liberals blamed for all of this? Is it really the liberals fault or is it really the simple fact that conservatives come from places that aren't really relevant for us to really blame them for anything?
Bold: You answered your own question.

You should be asking "why did all these job providers leave or go under?"

These cities have been under Democratic leadership for many decades, so it is liberal policies (regulations, high taxes, generous unfunded liabilities, frivolous spending and so on) which have sent manufacturers and many businesses packing.

If a city has been managed by Democrats for 20-30-40-50 years is failing, who should be blamed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Have you seen Downtown Los Angeles? Snake Plisken wouldn't live there.
I was there last year and it was a hot mess. It's a wacky thing. There is massive construction of very high-end apartments/condos going on while the sidewalks are overloaded with homeless people gathered at all the benches. The new owners will be living in multi-million dollar condos and homeless living just outside their doors. Very wacky indeed.

Doesn't Plisken have two s'?

Last edited by Originalist; 12-17-2018 at 12:55 PM..

Old 12-17-2018, 01:19 PM

17,620 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Very well then. Unplug your router, toss the computer, tablet, phone in the trash and let's see how long you last.

And just who came in here despising and looking down on urban America? Oh right. It was you.
I can live without the internet. You'll last a few weeks without food. Maybe.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:47 PM

8,336 posts, read 2,962,210 times
I posted this from an old thread.

Here is Business Insider's 2013 list of the most dangerous cities based on total crime, and crime per capita. I've added how strong democrat support is in each city currently.

1 - Flint, MI - Strong Support for Democrats
2 - Detroit, MI - Strong Support for Democrats
3 - Oakland, CA - Strong Support for Democrats
4 - Bridgeport, CN - Leans Democrat
5 - New Orleans, LA - Over 100 years of Democratic dominance
6 - Cleveland, OH - Strong Support for Democrats
7 - St. Louis, MO - Strong Support for Democrats
8 - Jackson, Miss - Leans Democrat
9 - Baltimore, MD - Strong Democratic Support
10 - Newark, NJ - Over 150 years of Democratic dominance

There isn't a single Republican leaning city in the Top 10. Can anyone explain why this is?

Old 12-17-2018, 03:56 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post

There isn't a single Republican leaning city in the Top 10. Can anyone explain why this is?
Because there's less than a handful of significant urban areas that still vote Republican. Even Orange County has gone blue.

Pretty much Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Phoenix, and Jacksonville FL are all that's left in terms of Republican-leaning urban areas. Of those, I would say only OKC and Tulsa are truly conservative.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:20 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I can live without the internet. You'll last a few weeks without food. Maybe.
And I'd lkke to seehoe you do without modern medical care. Modern medicine. Modern infrastructure you take shelter in and use for transportation + communication. Plumbing. Your assets tied up in the financial network.

All stuff largely developed in those pesky "liberal" cities you love to hate!

Old 12-17-2018, 05:23 PM

17,620 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
And I'd lkke to seehoe you do without modern medical care. Modern medicine. Modern infrastructure you take shelter in and use for transportation + communication. Plumbing. Your assets tied up in the financial network.

All stuff largely developed in those pesky "liberal" cities you love to hate!
Medicine is liberal? LOL at that. The vast majority of physicians are conservative. Same goes for the engineers that designed and built the infrastructure you're talking about.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:55 PM

556 posts, read 622,661 times
I grew up in the Bronx. When coop city was built most middle class family’s jumped at the chance to own something and get a tax break. The vast amount of empty apartments were filled with welfare recipients. When the superintendent of our building went on welfare and moved into an apartment building that we could not afford, I though, we that something was not right.During the 70’s one million people were on welfare in NYC. Our family was trapped with the welfare recipients. I did not understand how they could afford so much when we could not afford an automobile. A policeman I was good friends with told me that they were not allowed to report welfare abuse because it was a federal program. He confided in me that he arrested a person for drugs and assault. The perp had 3 welfare cards with 3 different names but the same picture. His hands were tied. He could be penalized for reporting this. Instead he taped the 3 IDs together and dropped them in the mailbox.
This is the modus oporundi of the liberal culture. The perp probably voted 3 different times for the party that would support him.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:50 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
70% of American Suburbs are ran by Conservatives as well.
Well, people who can afford $800k 1500sf McMansions and several cars and a bunch of children tend to be wealthy. The conservative party caters to them, so it makes sense they'd vote that way.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:06 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
70% of American Suburbs are ran by Conservatives as well.
So explain why these once conservative suburbs are now turning purple, even blue. Like Orange County in California, for example.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:08 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Well, people who can afford $800k 1500sf McMansions and several cars and a bunch of children tend to be wealthy. The conservative party caters to them, so it makes sense they'd vote that way.
And can you tell me how very affluent Santa Clara County where 1500 sf homes cost $1.5 to 2 million, votes overwhelmingly Democratic then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies