Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2016, 06:43 AM

25,956 posts, read 24,662,669 times

Advertisements

There is a name for such species that due to common ancestry are still so close that they can mix (even if they avoid to do so): species complex. Modern humans and neanderthals also formed such a complex. They were still extremely similar due to their common ancestor (heidelbergensis I think).

The genes responsible for differences between humans are rather few, for instance in terms of skin, eye and hair color.

"To be considered the same species, individuals need to be able to reproduce with one another and be morphologically similar."

No. There are different definitions of species. The word AND in there is simply wrong. No matter how different two animals look, if they are genetically compatible, they are the same biological species, i.e. species in the genetic sense, which I think is what this thread is about.

The whole science of taxonomy is in flux, there is no single accepted taxonomy. Many researchers disagree on species, subspecies etc.

To me it seems that such topics are just a more subtle attempt to support old racist views.
Some people for instance say that due to the Neanderthal admixture whites and even more so East Asians (who experienced one additional wave of mixing) non-Africans are more intelligent. After all, intelligence is the only aspect of interest to racists because it is what would allow them to feel superior. Everything else such as skin color is just a matter of taste.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:22 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,728,768 times
This video outlines the topic pretty well. And it brings up a fact I was not aware of - not only did non-Africans mix with Neanderthals 30-50,000 years ago, but also, around the same time, some Africans mixed with a different, even more distant, extinct human cousin.
Quote:
Hammer and his colleagues argue that roughly 2% of the genetic material found in these modern African populations was inserted into the human genome some 35,000 years ago. They say these sequences must have come from a now-extinct member of the Homo genus that broke away from the modern human lineage around 700,000 years ago.
Hammer says this disproves the conventional view that we are descended from a single population that arose in Africa and replaced all other Homo species without interbreeding. "We need to modify the standard model of human origins," he says.

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/1109....2011.518.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkwewTlxS9k

Old 11-25-2017, 10:50 PM

46,865 posts, read 25,830,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
And if anything, social programs will devolve a population, since they encourage survival of the weakest.
Like that Stephen Hawking fellow. Imagine someone like him surviving, completely unnatural.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:18 AM

4,655 posts, read 4,099,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This video outlines the topic pretty well. And it brings up a fact I was not aware of - not only did non-Africans mix with Neanderthals 30-50,000 years ago, but also, around the same time, some Africans mixed with a different, even more distant, extinct human cousin.

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/1109....2011.518.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkwewTlxS9k
It is yet more complicated because some South Asians, Islanders and Australians also have Denisovian blood.

I believe, also, a fourth ancestor has been identifed in the out-of-Africa crowd, although I cannot source it at this moment. So we are all an interesting mix of homo-Sapien with a little pinch of whatever.

Look, a couple of points here.

A) Everyone who knows me knows that I cannot stand the black self-pity. I am a white guy who grew up dirt poor without the benefit of affirmative action and diversity programs, and my wife is a Latin girl who came to this country with no family network, no rights to assitance, and barely speaking the language. Now we both have six figure jobs. I simply have no tolerance for people who claim that they cannot make it based on some super-special form of racism, when in fact they lead the league in dropping out, going to jail, crime, illegitimacy, etc. Black problems are caused by black people.

THAT BEING SAID, I do not believe there is anything genetic about it, it is just due to poor attitudes. It is old news that humnaity has two main branches, but they already intersect more than you think, because people have been migrating back into Africa for at least 50,000 years. Additionally, we are all genetic end products in the first place, and no, I don't think living in the Sahara desert or a malarial swamp is any easier than living in the snow.

B) I always thought the genetic diversity is cool in many ways. When I was a kid, it hurt me deeply to think that there used to be Neanderthals and now they are all just gone, with no reason for having been. As an adult, I was overjoyed to find that it was not true, and they survive in us. We are their reason for having been.

We ought to look at each other, our fellow homo-spaiens, in the same fashion. Each person carries as story in their genes, and the sum total of those stories is the book of humanity.

Or something like that.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:31 AM

27,393 posts, read 28,466,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
A Sudanese growing up in Sweden among Swedes will end up being be a Swede in every respect except looks.
If you really think that, then import a few million Sudanese into Sweden and watch what happens to that country.

That ought to be fun.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:31 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,728,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
It is old news that humnaity has two main branches...
It wasn't really clear until around the time I started this thread last year, after the results of the major genetic studies were published. And still, I doubt more than a tiny fraction of people have grasped it. If you took a survey and asked - "What are the two main branches of humanity, genetically speaking?" - very few would answer correctly that they are sub-Saharan Africans and non-sub Saharan Africans.
Quote:
...dropping out, going to jail, crime, illegitimacy, etc. Black problems are caused by black people.

THAT BEING SAID, I do not believe there is anything genetic about it, it is just due to poor attitudes.
That is a the mainstream conservative view, and it's unnecessarily harsh. We are all the product of our genes and environment to a very large extent, and this includes everything about us, even our attitudes, poor or otherwise. If you had exactly the same genes and environment growing up as the individual who dropped out of school, committed crimes, went to jail and had illegitimate children, chances are very good that your life outcomes would be similar.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:10 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,356,786 times
I really enjoying this post, it need not be moved, but a copy needs to be in the genealogy section, since they deal with DNA question.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:22 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,923,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
With the results from 3 major studies now in, there doesn't seem to be much doubt left about this. All non-Africans can trace the vast majority of their ancestry (96% or more) to a single small group of Homo sapiens who left Africa between 50,000 and 80,000 years ago. And members of this group also received a small amount of DNA from Neanderthals and/or Denisovans. Africans are not closely related to the out-of-Africa group and did not receive DNA from the other human groups.

Read all about it in the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/22/sc...tory.html?_r=0

And watch a lecture from one of the main scientists involved, Carl Zimmer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxYb0QtN1WI

Here is a simple chart that explains it all:

https://twitter.com/carlzimmer/statu...638976/photo/1

Out of Africa - The Unz Review
Carl Zimmer is no scientist. He has a BA in English. That’s it.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:07 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,085,525 times
Is there a purpose to this thread?

And a reason why it's in the political section?

Old 11-26-2017, 09:37 AM

42,764 posts, read 26,048,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
If you don't want people to laugh then don't make such inane comments. Anyone can easily debunk this by using breed of dog. Pit bulls bred to fight will kill your toy poodle. Racism is not an appeal to speciation . Its an appeal to breed. So you are not debunking anything.
I will tell you this. Welfare is a breeding policy. What wasn't true in 1960 is becoming true today.
Great, tell that to the leftists who insist that no statistical differences will be found in different demographics unless its due to bigotry. Tell them we should not give them more power and money to fix it.
The lefties force this subject on the table and cry "racist" when people try to debunk their flat earth paradigm.....
What? Breeding a dog to fight usually means coupling a pair which share traits in common, i.e. muscularity and speed. They aren't born fighters, you need to teach them to fight~

Welfare is a breeding policy? Wow...women on welfare have families that are about the same size as other women Average family size was the same (3.7 persons), whether or not a family received assistance. Not to mention, welfare is temporary and has been since 1996 there is a 60 month lifetime benefit for recipients, it's hard to imagine how that would create an incentive to have babies.

PS Do you even know what speciation means?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies