Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 09:23 PM

1,050 posts, read 505,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Sure, the employee did make it possible to purchase the robot, as did many other employees. My company gives stock to each employee yearly, so we are all shareholders. In that sense, profits are shared. But it would be unrealistic to expect that the employee should just get paid more just because we bought a robot. He didn't make it possible all by himself. It was the group effort of my company which allowed us to have the funds available to make such an expensive purchase.
There are worker-owned plans, like Costco for example. But no one "makes it possible all by himself". Not even the business owner of a private enterprise that doesn't profit-share. Everyone who works for a company has a role in making the company run or he wouldn't be there, so everyone who works for a company makes computerization, increased production, increased profits all possible. but in most cases the workers don't share in the profits. They just share in the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'll say it for the 1 millionth time. Automation creates jobs not destroy them. I mean I have gone into depth countless times but people refuse to listen. People already have their minds made up when it comes to computers.
Awe.

Well, yes, computerization has led to more jobs. But if a company increased workers 10% as a result of computerization, you can bet it increase it's production and profits by as much or more and that wouldn't have happened without computerization.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:36 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
Awe.

Well, yes, computerization has led to more jobs. But if a company increased workers 10% as a result of computerization, you can bet it increase it's production and profits by as much or more and that wouldn't have happened without computerization.

Exactly. When people get scared about automation, they make some very bad assumptions. For 1, they assume that a company will become complacent with its current profits and volume. From senior mangement's perspective there is no such thing as a "perfect system". They're always are going to try to increase their profits more and more, and increase their volume. If they don't try to increase their volume, their competitor will. So for the most part automation leads to more jobs, because automation leads to greater volume.

I talked to a co-worker about this a few years ago. I talked about the idea of an "automated McDonalds". And he said "if all McDonald's were automated, then that would see a loss in jobs". But I told him, if McDonald's was automated, the only thing they would do is build more McDonalds.

People also forget that you have to always manage automation. Despite some advances in the field of AI, computers still are pretty dumb. And they're still not smart enough to handle the various business use cases. We may get to a point where a computer can build and architect sophsticated business systems themselves, but I feel we're a long way off from that. And even if computers could program computers, who is going to program the computer that programs computers? A computer no matter how smart it gets needs the human perspective.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:39 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,140 times
Quote:
I'll say it for the 1 millionth time. Automation creates jobs not destroy them. I mean I have gone into depth countless times but people refuse to listen. People already have their minds made up when it comes to computers.
In my real world example, the purchase of a robot actually cost a potential worker his job. Our workload was increasing and there was a need for a new hire to assist in projects. It was decided that a robot would be more cost effective, so we never hired a new employee.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
They're always are going to try to increase their profits more and more, and increase their volume. If they don't try to increase their volume, their competitor will.
You just identified one of the main characteristics of capitalism that will lead to its demise. Such weaknesses plus the inescapable internal contradictions of capitalism are beginning to catch up with it and they will force an end to it eventually, and sooner than some think.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
In my real world example, the purchase of a robot actually cost a potential worker his job. Our workload was increasing and there was a need for a new hire to assist in projects. It was decided that a robot would be more cost effective, so we never hired a new employee.
A robot does cost that man his job. But it's a new job for the people who designed, built, manufactured, and maintain that robot. People forget that a robot is a very complex piece of engineering with a very sophsticated supply chain. That right there is an increase of 100s of jobs.

Where you see job loss, I see demand.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Yes. That seems to be a difference between computerization and "robotization".

Old 09-25-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
You just identified one of the main characteristics of capitalism that will lead to its demise. Such weaknesses plus the inescapable internal contradictions of capitalism are beginning to catch up with it and they will force an end to it eventually, and sooner than some think.
I don't see anything wrong with this. Customers get more, and the more customers get, the more they demand. The more they demand, the more a company needs to produce. Everyone is happy at the end of the day. You need to build more and more robots, you need more and more automation, and you create complex systems that require specialized people to manage.

The thing is the overal technical skill and education of everyone in society has to rise to meet this demand. We haven't seen a decrease in jobs, we've seen an increase. The issue is that there is no one to take these jobs. I mean anytime I look for a job, I have 2 interviews within a week. I know guys who can literally get fired and have an offer in 2 days. The job market is scorching hot for a small sample of people with certain technical skills.

That means there are more jobs than their are people to fill them, even with H1B programs.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:52 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
I've read that the number of jobs it creates is about equal to the number of jobs it eliminates. However, unless those losing their jobs have the skills to do the job once automation is in place, it still eliminates the job for that person.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I've read that the number of jobs it creates is about equal to the number of jobs it eliminates. However, unless those losing their jobs have the skills to do the job once automation is in place, it still eliminates the job for that person.
That's not true. It creates way more jobs than it eliminates. The most recent example is our move from agriculture to manufacturing. Agricultural jobs were loss, but many many more jobs were created. What people fail to realize the new jobs require a different skillset.

Computers have created a ton of jobs for young professionals with good technical skills. And they're making more money than they ever have at any point in history. This should tell you something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies