Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 07:00 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm primarily talking about the crooks in the medical industry re: healing/curing.

Granted they can try to do their best to put humpty dumpty back together but curing diseases....nope. I really don't think they want to lose their sick/diseased patients.
The pharmaceutical drugs all have side effects that can do more harm then good. Try to use natural remedies and healthy eating habits whenever possible use drugs as a last resort .

Old 09-26-2016, 07:04 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
That is absolutely true.
However, the OP has a point. Pharmaceutical and other health care companies are business entities, and as in any business, the people in charge have to concern themselves with making shareholders happy. "Maintenance drugs" generate more income, and its in the interest of shareholders to devote more research and development funds to the products that generate the highest income.
What you ignore is consumers drive sales and they want a cure and the 1st company that produces it will do quite well.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:07 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
The pharmaceutical drugs all have side effects that can do more harm then good. Try to use natural remedies and healthy eating habits whenever possible use drugs as a last resort .
You failed to address their point that they do not try to heal people but rather intentionally keep them sick to make money.

Your response sounds like an endorsement of their views.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:55 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Pharma Industry isn't the only game in town, but a huge one.
Having worked in both HIV and cancer research, I wish, one day I would be no longer needed. You do realize most of the major research into diseases are performed at thousands of universities around the world and various government research facilities and NOT by the Pharma Industry. I have only worked for universities and can tell you first hand we do it NOT to get rich, but we do it to discover new treatments.

Cancer and HIV (and most diseases for that matter) are so complex, even people with a science/medical background, it is hard to even understand and comprehend how and why the diseases do what they do. Cancer is basically your body killing itself and with HIV, if it didn't mutate so often, it would a lot easier to find a way to stop it, there's dozens upon dozens of HIV strains, by the way, with new ones just waiting to emerge. I guess you must feel like Zuckerberg is basically throwing his $3 billion away?

Old 09-26-2016, 09:20 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Everything you put into your body has a side effect. Herbs have all sort of potential side effects, just because it's from "nature" doesn't mean anything.
I didn't end up in the ER due to herbals and minerals and other supplements but I did due to a pharma drug in the mid 80's. My daughter ended up on life support due to drug interactions about 10 yrs ago.

We're off MOST drugs and doing fine. I'm 78 and basically very healthy except for a hip surgery BOTCH I live with.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:24 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Having worked in both HIV and cancer research, I wish, one day I would be no longer needed. You do realize most of the major research into diseases are performed at thousands of universities around the world and various government research facilities and NOT by the Pharma Industry. I have only worked for universities and can tell you first hand we do it NOT to get rich, but we do it to discover new treatments.

Cancer and HIV (and most diseases for that matter) are so complex, even people with a science/medical background, it is hard to even understand and comprehend how and why the diseases do what they do. Cancer is basically your body killing itself and with HIV, if it didn't mutate so often, it would a lot easier to find a way to stop it, there's dozens upon dozens of HIV strains, by the way, with new ones just waiting to emerge. I guess you must feel like Zuckerberg is basically throwing his $3 billion away?
So you have worked in cancer research..what do you know about OPC's (pycnogenol and grapeseed extract) which is being used in the centers at city of hope, mayo, sloan kettering and others? I've been taking these OPC's for 21 yrs and banking on them for cancer prevention.

Check out these OPC's and the cancer research centers...learn a little more about these supplements.

I'm not convinced on the "cure" issue in the medical world.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:30 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,471 times
Quote:
I didn't end up in the ER due to herbals and minerals and other supplements but I did due to a pharma drug in the mid 80's. My daughter ended up on life support due to drug interactions about 10 yrs ago.

We're off MOST drugs and doing fine. I'm 78 and basically very healthy except for a hip surgery BOTCH I live with.
There are statistical anomalies, by far the majority of people don't experience what you did.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:06 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Thumbs up *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth

A game they play and MOST fall for it.

Pharma Industry isn't the only game in town, but a huge one.
A good thread,thank you sweetie

Old 09-26-2016, 10:10 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
So you have worked in cancer research..what do you know about OPC's (pycnogenol and grapeseed extract) which is being used in the centers at city of hope, mayo, sloan kettering and others? I've been taking these OPC's for 21 yrs and banking on them for cancer prevention.

Check out these OPC's and the cancer research centers...learn a little more about these supplements.

I'm not convinced on the "cure" issue in the medical world.
Plant metabolites are a great source of new, undiscovered natural products including OPC's. You obviously believe in medical plants, where the stems, leaves, roots, seeds, etc. could be used to treat and possibly prevent certain illnesses. Well our research took that one step further, yes, the stems, leaves, roots, seeds, etc. of certain plants/grasses can possibly be used as a treatment for some illnesses, what most people don't realize it's actually the microbes living inside the plants/grasses that are giving them their medicinal properties.

So if you are able to isolate and pull out the microbe (fungi or bacteria) from the plant you can then just grow the microbe in a lab instead of having to grow and harvest plant material. Our research was looking at endophytic fungi (basically fungi living inside a plant that is non-pathogenic to the plant) from Sonoran Desert plants and grasses that the Native Americans would use in daily lives and treatments for certain ailments. My former boss believed nature was the greatest chemist, coming up with chemical structures natural product chemists could only dream of.

Most, if not all big pharma companies got rid of their natural products R&D, because it's like finding a needle in a haystack, so most natural product research is conducted by universities now. The holy grail, would be a natural product produced from a microbe that would be selective against only a certain type of cancer, but also not harm/destroy normal healthy cells. That's why certain chemos are great in destroying the cancer, but they also kill the normal healthy cells and make people nauseous during treatment.

One of the more famous chemo drugs, that works quite well, is Taxol, which was discovered from the bark of the Pacific yew tree back in 1967. Fast forward to 1993, and they found an endophytic fungi living inside the bark of the Pacific yew tree, that doesn't produce the finally taxol product, but one that is close enough they can do some additional chemistry to make the finally compound and they don't have to harvest the bark anymore.

Having lost too many family and friends to various cancers, I would love for there to be a silver bullet, but I'm not sure that will happen, but it's NOT because big pharma doesn't want it to happen, it's because cancer is so amazingly complex. I do believe there will be better and better treatments that will help people live longer lives will keeping the cancer at bay. Like HIV, people can live a normal, healthy life with normal life expectancy now, you just have to take your dozen pills everyday for the rest of your life.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:26 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:

You're 78? If it were 100 years ago, before the advent of modern medicine and vaccines, life expectancy was less than 50 years and you'd probably be long dead...Holistic "medicine" is a farce. Whenever you see the word "holistic" being applied to a medical issue or treatment, nine times out of ten you’ll get the true correct meaning by substituting the word "quackery".

What's the harm in alternative medicine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies