Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 01:45 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Your son is one of the fortunate survivors and I HOPE he continues with his survival.
He is one of millions of cancer survivors. Over 90% of kids currently treated for the same leukemia he had will survive five years, and most of those will become long term survivors, like him.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You obviously never lived through the Viet Nam days. Where the military used to line us up for the air-gun injections. One medic on one side and one on the other side. The man in front of me flinched and blood was running down his arm when they hollered: "Next"! If you were staying stateside they gave you 13 injections (if I remember correctly) and if you were going overseas, I think, the grand total was 26. With your fears it is amazing that any of us survived!

According to the link I previously posted from UNICEF we are currently saving about 14 million lives each year (if there were no vaccines at all) or about 8 million (if you figure in 5 million saved from smallpox). Nobody, in their right mind, should want to take a chance on contracting one of these diseases. They are debilitating, painful, and life changing (if you survive).

It bothers me that we have no modern smallpox vaccine. The federal government found the old vaccine that I worked (assisted) on years ago and they promptly removed it under armed guard. It is probably still stored at 80 or 90 degrees below zero and could be with the CDC - but that is only a guess? There are not enough doses remaining if we wanted to immunize everybody.
DH is also a Vietnam vet. He laughs about all the vaccines he has had.

There is actually a stockpile of smallpox vaccine. I wonder if what you worked on is included?

https://emergency.cdc.gov/agent/smal...tion/facts.asp

"Currently, the United States has a big enough stockpile of smallpox vaccine to vaccinate everyone in the United States in the event of a smallpox emergency."

Old 09-27-2016, 02:03 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

There is actually a stockpile of smallpox vaccine. I wonder if what you worked on is included?

https://emergency.cdc.gov/agent/smal...tion/facts.asp

"Currently, the United States has a big enough stockpile of smallpox vaccine to vaccinate everyone in the United States in the event of a smallpox emergency."
All I know is that what I worked on disappeared. It could be part of the stockpile? We used one cow each day and I have no idea how many doses were made from each cow? I have to also wonder if they further refined or buffered our original doses? The technology has changed over the years. Pharmaceutical membrane filtration systems have changed in the last fifty years. We know more now than we did then.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:08 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Why are people shocked by the companies doing what they are supposed to do? You know, making a profit?

Old 09-27-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Maybe you know? At that time, in the military, they gave us some kind of (I believe) plague vaccine. I had one small (about one eighth of an inch deep by quarter inch wide) hole on my left and right shoulders for most of my life. In the last ten years they have finally disappeared. It might be possible that one was a second smallpox vaccination - at that time they were not into asking too many questions first! Your husband can probably verify that! But I was always curious what they meant by 'plague' vaccine?

Thank you!

Old 09-27-2016, 02:23 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Jamin, I am about 10 years your junior. The bottom line is that FEAR sells (Marketing 101) be that for drugs, vaccines, preventive tests, etc.

Something that will "cure" will not result in repeat Customers. All For Profit Businesses want repeat Customers. Medical Industry is a Business as much as Poppa John's is.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:32 PM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Jamin, I am about 10 years your junior. The bottom line is that FEAR sells (Marketing 101) be that for drugs, vaccines, preventive tests, etc.

Something that will "cure" will not result in repeat Customers. All For Profit Businesses want repeat Customers. Medical Industry is a Business as much as Poppa John's is.
Out of curiosity, what does a cure to cancer look like to you?

Old 09-27-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Maybe you know? At that time, in the military, they gave us some kind of (I believe) plague vaccine. I had one small (about one eighth of an inch deep by quarter inch wide) hole on my left and right shoulders for most of my life. In the last ten years they have finally disappeared. It might be possible that one was a second smallpox vaccination - at that time they were not into asking too many questions first! Your husband can probably verify that! But I was always curious what they meant by 'plague' vaccine?

Thank you!
I do know he did get the plague vaccine. There is active research on improved vaccine for it because it is more common in some countries. The US does not see much because of pest control - rodents and fleas. However, there are a few cases each year.

Rio Arriba County has nation

https://www.cdc.gov/plague/

Old 09-27-2016, 02:55 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
For me, it's about Prevention. And when I started my Prevention path in 1995 I have hung on to this thinking and then found how Iodine is so necessary for all tissues of our body including breast tissues...so started Iodine protocol about 7 yrs ago or so. So I'm banking on Prevention. I feel so fortunate to be at "that" lecture on Pycnogenol in 1995.

Grape Seed Extract and cancer

The grape seeds and pine bark are now being used in the cancer research labs.

I'd love to see splash ads on TV like: **Take OPC's as they MAY prevent cancer(s).** Why won't the medical industry put these ads out there. I sure do my little share of trying to put it out to people. How much does allopathic medicine talk about cancer prevention?

They get into the arena when one is dealing with cancer.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I do know he did get the plague vaccine. There is active research on improved vaccine for it because it is more common in some countries. The US does not see much because of pest control - rodents and fleas. However, there are a few cases each year.

Rio Arriba County has nation

https://www.cdc.gov/plague/
Thank you again! Those little holes in my shoulders always were a mystery. I remember seeing on my immunization card something about plague. But I forgot about it over the years. The second hole I think was a second smallpox vaccination that did not take like the first (which was about the size of a quarter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies