Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:44 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1992 View Post
Ok, so a policeman could kill me if I just opened the car door and went out of my car when he had stopped me on the road? And it would be without breaking any law from me? Just good sense.
One of the worse things you can do in the states is to get out of your car when you are pulled over. Back in the 1970s I witnessed this and the guy got roughed up for doing just that. I knew the person who was originally from a rural area of the US and recently moved to the Washington DC suburbs. His reasoning for getting out of the car was he thought he was being polite to the police by taking his car registration and driver's license to the police, saving the cop the hassle of making a trip to the car. The driver sustained several stitches and was reported in the Washington Post as a potential police brutality case. Back then, nothing came of it and was dismissed although there were witnesses who were never called to testify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 08:12 AM

102 posts, read 106,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
His reasoning for getting out of the car was he thought he was being polite to the police by taking his car registration and driver's license to the police, saving the cop the hassle of making a trip to the car.
Reading that I could think about Russia or Ukraine. In my country we have a law which says about our rights in situations like I said in topic. And everything that haven't been forbidden is the possible ideas to do. Our policemen must say 'don't get out or don't come to me', and then policeman can shoot if someone don't do this order. But they have a law describing this things. People know about it too.
Maybe in the US there are a special law to protect police in that case. I thought in the USA there is the same things that forbid from leaving the car. Not more.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:44 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Ok, so a policeman could kill me if I just opened the car door and went out of my car when he had stopped me on the road? And it would be without breaking any law from me? Just good sense.
no, it is not good sense....to get out of the car, it is confrontational to do so....you could have a weapon, and now, run at the officer...safer and much more intelligent to stay in the car, turn the lights on, and put your hands on the wheel, until you are instructed to do differently.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 09-27-2016 at 11:06 AM..

Old 09-27-2016, 10:55 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Laws are limited in the behavior they regulate, at some point common sense has to come into play.

One can go far into stupid and still be on the side of the law.

Location, neighborhood, attitude, prior convictions, etc come into play. then consider the false narrative being pushed by dems and the media and BLM advocating the murder of cops.

Given that mix you must consider not just your 'rights' but he rights of the police to survive.

As obama says."...they acted stupidly', and in this case it won't be the cops that acted stupidly.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Which so many people fail to grasp.
oh, I think they know better, but, when they say they are protesting for a cause, logically what is their cause, to be able to do as they please, whenever they please...and if BLM truly cared and were a respectable group, they would most certainly be protesting black on black crimes.

I know good black people, and they've never ever had a problem with the law, why? Because they respect the law and don't push buttons....

I remember seeing that girl back mouthing the cop when he stopped her. I couldn't believe how she was talking to him....all I kept thinking was, OMG, if I even as much as whispered some of that attitude to my parents, that would have cost my butt dearly. And yanno what, I'm so glad they were like that. They taught us respect...for ourselves and for others....

if you have no respect for self, you won't have respect for others.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:23 AM

102 posts, read 106,166 times
Thanks for all responses. I understand lots of that. I nearly forgot about gun politics in the USA.
Sorry again (yes, I'm foreigner) but it's still strange for me why this rules isn't an official law for the whole country.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Maybe we're so different in our mind.

I know about the police officer's security on their duty I mean the simple example: I drive on the road, police stop me, I pull over to the side of the road, then I take my documents, get out of the car and remain at that point near my car ( or walk towards a policeman along the road). Cops will shout at me: stay on the place and get down? Why? What wrong with that? At that moment I don't break any law as you said.
you are being told what to do here in America....why is it so hard for you to understand....
We are a different culture, different rules....

You don't EVER get out of the car, period.

Once you do, anything that happens from there on in, is totally initiated by you. So, is your not from the U.S. and you are visiting here, you'd better find out what the laws are. When I visited another country, one of the first things I did was question, my hosts, about the laws there, and what to do if I was stopped, what they expected of me.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:38 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,123 times
Quote:
Thanks for all responses. I understand lots of that. I nearly forgot about gun politics in the USA.
Sorry again (yes, I'm foreigner) but it's still strange for me why this rules isn't an official law for the whole country.
You have certainly gone out of your way to offer criticism of USA procedures.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:34 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,894 times
Quote:
Maybe we're so different in our mind.

I know about the police officer's security on their duty I mean the simple example: I drive on the road, police stop me, I pull over to the side of the road, then I take my documents, get out of the car and remain at that point near my car ( or walk towards a policeman along the road). Cops will shout at me: stay on the place and get down? Why? What wrong with that? At that moment I don't break any law as you said.

Unfortunately for you ...you live in a country that is light years behind ours in democracy
Your police are a political arm of the government..with minimal review.The overhaul of your judicial system is still steeped in Soviet era tradition comrade

How hard is it for you to get your hands on a weapon there...fairly easy?

How many police shootings have you had that resulted in major riots?

How many police officers do you have murdered each year?

Do you carry out the death penalty?

Do you think it's wise to get out of your csr when stopped without being asked...why would you anyway?...what do you have to fear or hide staying in the car..why get out.. is that how children are trained?..or is it the accepted norm and a sign of respect in your country?

Very different parameters in your country...

Come for a ride along with an American policeman....

Old 09-28-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
I can understand it seeming strange to you...we're all conditioned by our own country's laws, by parenting, and our belief systems.

And asking questions is a good thing, it is most necessary when visiting another country, to remain safe and enjoy your visit.

However, I don't know what you feel inside, and if you are purposely being Inquisitive to learn, or to say, b/c America does things differently is wrong...well, I suggest you seriously play by the country's rules your visiting or you'll be asking for trouble and perhaps harm.

If you go to visit a friend, and your child picks something very expensive up off an end table and corrects the child for doing so....would you be offended or disagree. It is extremely important for a child, to learn, that there are different rules in different homes...same with countries. Why not expand your horizons and simply make it a point to find out what those rules are. Might make your visit more enjoyable?

Example:
If I drive to another state in America but I have a license to carry in my state...and I carry all the time. I'd better make darn sure, the states I'm driving thru, it is legal to carry in those states, b/c if I get stopped, and they find a gun and it is illegal to carry in that state, I'm in big trouble. Now, if I get out of the car, with a gun, they might likely shoot me? I now pose as a threat to them, and mind you, they are not going to chance their wife, and children, loosing their husband and father. They have no idea what my intent is?

Do you understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies